INC Research Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alistair Macdonald

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance has been difficult (in 23 reviews)

• Upper management make decisions while having absolutely no idea on how the other departments operate (in 15 reviews)

"Enjoy my job"

I have been working at INC Research full-time

Pros

Plenty of opportunity; there are some great managers, I love mine; opportunity to work remote, Have learned a lot

Cons

There is a lot of work to be gone; you really need to ask questions about what your job will be at the company, and the team you land on really makes or breaks you.

"Project Specialist I"

Current Employee - Project Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work schedule and ability to work from home if needed (Austin office). The entire company is closed for almost two weeks in December and you still receive pay.

Cons

False promises, workload, and low pay. I have noticed a pattern with myself and colleagues who have been promised promotions but still haven't received them 8-9 months later. I have the most tasked work on my study but am lowest paid. Project Specialists are treated as assistants so they many times do a lot of work outside of their job scope. The starting rate of pay is pretty low and it takes a long time to get a promotion or significant raise.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees on promotion timelines.

"Great company to work for and grow"

Current Employee - Project Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at INC Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is extremely helpful within the company, regardless to if they work with you or not. I think unity like this is rare in corporations these days. Very open communication with everyone, and able to move laterally within company if current job isn't for you.

Cons

With it being an international company, your managers and team are rarely located in your area. This makes it is hard to execute tasks effectively without your team physically being there in the office with you. (No matter how many different communication software programs there are, nothing compares to face-to-face interactions).
    PS's do not receive a bonus.

Advice to Management

Maybe focus on employee's location in regards to assigning LM/PM. It is most beneficial to at least have them within the same country.

5. "INC is a GREAT place to work!!"

Current Employee - Project Specialist II in Austin, TX

Pros

INC Research delivers high quality work and cares about their employees! Great place to work!

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about working at INC Research

"CRA"

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company really does value employee input and this creates a great work culture. There are always potential for promotions and new opportunities.

Cons

Too many emails from upper management and required training can sometimes get burdensome in combination with day to day duties.

"Great Place for Capable Individuals"

Current Employee - Senior CRA in Austin, TX

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've had a very strong career progression with INCR and have never been denied an opportunity that I desired. I would strongly recommend it for capable and ambitious individuals.
    In my experience, INC gives a great deal of personal freedom to its employees, but offers very little hand-holding and expects an increased amount of personal responsibility. Definitely not the place where people looking to be a cog in a machine thrive.
    Specific Items:
    - Competitive compensation
    - Very large capacity for personal freedom
    - CRAs get to make and manage their own schedules (within the bounds of the monitoring plan)
    - VERY loose travel policy with numerous perks
    - Bonuses available for over-achieving on days on-site
    - Lower than average expectation for monthly days on-site (~7-8 per month)
    - Promotions and upward mobility are easy to achieve
    - Less metrics-driven than most CROs
    - The usual 401K and very solid benefits packages

Cons

The only complaints I have are with some of the systems used:
    - CTMS system is cumbersome
    - Relatively slow reimbursement time (~2-3 weeks)
    - Corporate card expenses can be frustrating
    - CRAs are not maintained regionally (differs between studies)

"Therapeutic Alignment Very Beneficial"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, therapeutic alignment is a selling point for employees as well as sponsors, work-life balance much more manageable than at other CROs

Cons

IT is far too small for a company this large (and that continues to grow), project teams are hit or miss - either great and all succeed, or a huge mess with horrible project management as well as poor line managers

Advice to Management

Invest in best systems possible - IT needs more FTE (tier 1 helpdesk maybe?), new CTMS is atrocious, explore functional line management structure to improve retention

"Project Specialist II"

Current Employee - Project Specialist II in Austin, TX

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company with many open positions. Seems to be well-managed and has a vision for the future. Recently went public. Opportunities could be present for high-performers. Company-wide holiday between Xmas and New Year's Day.

Cons

Work-life balance is tilted towards work. Short staffed and high turnover in certain areas (CRAs, PMs). Work from home opportunities not always open to certain employees. High stress with workloads constantly growing. Pay and benefits on lower end of scale. Company seems to prefer hiring from outside than promoting from within. No annual bonus or monetary reward structure in place.

"Mixed Bag"

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Promotions can and do occur and INC loves to promote within. There are good opportunities for that, if merit is shown.
    * Benefits are standard, but we get the week off between Christmas and New Year's.
    * I have always had GREAT line managers who supported my career growth. Never experienced micro-managing; was left to do my own thing.
    * I have earned recognition (award $) for my going above and beyond what was expected of me.
    * Most of the people I have ever worked with across the company and in various positions, they were awesome and wonderful to work with. INC's REAL asset is its employees on the lower rungs, not the higher.
    * Currently, I have the flexibility to WFH, but it's different, depending on where you're at. So that's also kind of a con, too.
    * I work in a therapeutic business unit and they are just the best. I can tell that they try to foster a familial working environment, where you do feel valued.

Cons

* If you're non-billable, then you are considered dispensable by the company and won't be well-supported. Hence our HR and IT groups mostly suck.
    * Pay is NOT competitive or even close to market value.
    * Systems are complicated and all over the place. Nothing is clear, anywhere. You have to visit a dozen different sites and systems to get the info you need to run your study.
    * Training sucks. It's very much a sink or swim environment at times.
    * INC is a teetotaler! That means when we do get the rare office function (they are very cheap when it comes to doing things for its employees), you must purchase your own alcohol. If it's even allowed. Thanks Jim Ogle!
    * Being over-worked is totally a thing here. I laugh when anyone starts to talk about a work/life balance. Over-worked and under-paid is what we are.
    * All the locations are moving towards a call center-type environment, and most people hate it. It's crappy for most, or an introvert's worst nightmare.
    * As of this writing, everyone I work with, in the various departments and groups, is stretched too thin. Overworked. Stressed out.
    * I have had to fight tooth and nails to get standard working equipment - a laptop that's not a dinosaur, monitor, etc.

Advice to Management

Fight harder to keep your good employees. I'm so tired of losing good colleagues to CROs that pay better or because they're so badly over-worked. And put a muzzle on Business Development - they are winning far more awards than we can realistically staff. Have more sensitivity to your employees - not a single one of us enjoys reading about how the executives fly private planes in their spare time, or whatever dumb spotlight crap they foist on us. Show that you can relate to us, instead of showing us where the money is actually going (definitely not in our pockets). And on that note, I don't think we want any more cheap mousepads or cheap thermoses (they leak!)...we'd rather have that in our paycheck.

"INC Research"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Provides excellent opportunities for growth

Cons

None that I have found