INC Research Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
INC Research Chief Executive Officer Alistair Macdonald
Alistair Macdonald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Opportunities to work from home for clinical staff and project managers (in 31 reviews)

• The work life balance and flexibility is good (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance has been difficult (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management make decisions while having absolutely no idea on how the other departments operate (in 16 reviews)

1. "Poor management, high stress, excessive work, no room for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time

Pros

Company closes for a week in December; decent PTO; nice coworkers; good insurance benefits; semi-flexible work schedule; option to work from home once a week.

Cons

Unskilled managers; company is cheap with employee events; no sabbatical for non-CRAs; workload is not evenly distributed among employees (some are more overworked than others); management sets unreasonable expectations (not enough hours in a week to meet all of the demands they place on employees); salary is not competitive.

"Stay away from INC especially SSU"

Former Employee - Site Start Up and Regulatory Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Site Start Up and Regulatory Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro was just the paycheck

Cons

At the beginning they will tell you they are different than other CROs but that is not true at least not for SSU. They over work their specialists to a point than few of them had a nervous break down at the office and couple of them handed over their laptops and left. Manager only care about assigning studies that they hae on their resourcing agenda but they actually don`t give a damn about whether you can handle the work load or not. Managers don`t care about your developmental goals and career development at all. they only look at you as a resource that they are they are to take the most out of until you burn out. I am very glad that I left INC and work at the place that I am not overworked anymore and my manager cares about my career and developmental goals.

Advice to Management

Please look at the retention rate for SSU and find out reasons that most Site Start Up and Regulatory Specialists leave the company only after working 1-2 years at the company

3. "Investigative Payments Specialist"

Current Employee - Investigative Grants Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Investigative Grants Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, growing company

Cons

Over worked and under paid

Advice to Management

Work harder to show you care about employee retention

"Sr. CRA"

Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at INC Research (More than a year)

Pros

Starting salary was good. The company offers the standard benefits. There are no other pros that I can think of.

Cons

The company does not offer a pleasant work environment and much of the time the demands are unreal. There is no fairness in management and you can only move up if you are on the favor side of a particular manager. In general a lot of favoritism.

Advice to Management

There are two major things that I expect from managers: fairness and clear communication skills. I was not able to find these while working at the company.

"Worst experience ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I worked at INC Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The travel coffee cup, notepad, pens, and backpack you receive at orientation. The former CEO Alistair MacDonald is a very sincere genuine individual, I am glad he is distancing himself from this company.

Cons

Multi-tiers of management and not enough people to do the actual work. There would be conference calls with four tiers of management above me on the call, who did nothing to help or add value to the process. Management does little more than sit around and gossip about employees. Management is allowed to fire employees for reasons as petty as one versus two spaces after a period, and the company allows it. Good, talented employees are not appreciated and are run off if anyone feels threatened by their skill set.

Very poor work life balance.

HR works for the company and is not an advocate for employees at all.

"Unqualified Project Managers"

Former Employee - Clinical Team Leader in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Clinical Team Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at INC Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can get on a good team and be content for a bit.

Cons

I have never worked with less qualified project managers in my life. Many do not have a college degree! Project Managers that don't understand ICH/GCP are a liability. Don't take every Project Specialist and make them a PM. Some of the people higher up in the organization are insecure about their knowledge so they get irrationally defensive. Every single team I was on for the six years I was there was catty at some point. My character was indicted and I was left defenseless.

Advice to Management

Don't assume people that have been with the company a long time are good at their jobs. If they are costing the company money because they are not tracking monitoring spending, don't keep them on.

Allow employees to move into CST. Not listing these jobs as such in a public database is illegal. You must have friends on the inside to move onto that team. Sick

Consider raises that are commiserate with the increase in cost of living so employees aren't effectively taking a pay cut every year.

Do not allow managers to wait until performance reviews to point out an issue to an employee. Allow them the chance to fix anything they may be doing wrong.

"Worst CRO to work for"

Former Employee - CMA in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - CMA in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid week between Christmas and New Years

Cons

This is by far one of the worst CROs to work for, the management is inexperienced and incompetent, I honestly wonder if people are being paid or coerced to give positive reviews here. Everyone that I know who has worked for INC or is working for INC was completely miserable. They conduct layoffs then turn around and re-hire...cheaper labor. No-one seems to know what they are doing, in the 4 years that I worked at INC I had 5 different managers, was moved 6 times, and of the 5 managers I had I would say only one should have been a manager. INC is terrible I wouldn't recommend anyone work there ever.

Advice to Management

Hire some managers who actually know what they are doing and treat your people better!

"If the CEO only knew...."

Former Employee - One of Many in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - One of Many in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research full-time

Pros

They allow you to be terrorized from home, decent though limited benefits

Cons

Managers (not Leaders), EXTREME micromanagement in the form of terrorist attacks by managers, 317 ways to do the same thing, every man for himself mentality, you will readily be thrown under the bus, do not collaborate (you should know how to do you job on your own), do not ask questions (you should come into your position with 100% industry knowledge and know the INC way Day 1), 60 work week but get it done in 40 (it makes the "work life balance" look bad if you don't and you WILL hear about it), ZERO room for growth (I worked with one co-worker who had been with the organization for 10 years with top notch work and never offered a promotion), did I mention TONS of managers and ZERO leaders, held accountable for processes you know nothing about, merit raises capped at 2% across the board regardless of performance (this came from a manager), EU given domain over US training, and these are just the small things....

Advice to Management

Jamie McDonald is an amazing CEO and the upper management he as surrounded himself with is topnotch! It is the middle management that is choking the organization. If Jamie knew the inner workings of the company, he would be livid. If he heard how managers speak to their direct reports, I doubt they would be managers very long.

Jamie, get out in the trenches. It's not your upper level employees who are dying slow deaths here, it's your grunts, your "lower level" employees. Take these folks into your confidence. Protect them, they won't talk freely, they need their jobs, after all. Listen to what they have to say. Your organization is broken on a fundamental level and your cornerstones are clawing to get out. You looked me in the eye on Day One of my orientation and said,"Everybody here at INC matters." Prove it. DO SOMETHING. Best of luck!

"Management be honest!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research (More than a year)

Pros

The office closes for winter break, the week between XMAS and NYE.

Cons

Management at various levels needs to be replaced. The employees work hard for lower than industry salaries and benefits. Raises are low and bonuses are only for directors or above.

Advice to Management

Be honest!!!! In the all hands meetings you indicated growth for 2016, hiring 3000 more employees, etc. As a company it was the best year in 2015 and as a group we had the best Q1 for 2016 but as of April you are laying off ~200 staff. Why the double talk? Management could have told employees this layoff might happen so we can plan accordingly for our families, medical care etc. Instead, you spend our last days, hours, minutes having your soon to be ex-employees training you! Unreal ... Management treat your employees how you would like to be treated ... and be honest!

"Update on the Life of a CDA III"

Current Employee - Clinical Data Associate III in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Data Associate III in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The CDA position is a piece of cake - they have all these different tasks assigned to CDA II, III & Sr. CDA but regardless of what level you are you'll end up doing Sr. CDA tasks within weeks of being hired if you're a CDA II - that's how they get around giving out promotions because they can get individuals at a low level to perform the tasks of a higher position making believe that individual will be promoted when it'll never happen. All that said, being a CDA is essentially being a gopher - if you are asked to provide something from your project manager, do it fast as lightning and they will think you are a rocket scientist. This works well when it comes to year end reviews and they are the ones providing feedback, however the current management staff seems to have ulterior motives and discriminate against certain employees.

Cons

The first few years I worked at INC were amazing. Management recognized that I was a valuable asset to the company and let me kind of march to the beat of my own drum - back then I was motivated and had a desire to make a difference and do well with my projects.

I'd even check my work email in the middle of the night and respond if I happened to wake up and saw a pressing issue that needed to be addressed...Just so they'd have an answer at the crack of dawn when they checked their email and saw my reply. A year and a half ago after our company acquired another company, it was decided that our UK CDA's were more productive than the US CDA's, without providing any proof or metrics whatsoever to explain that rationale. It was just fact because upper management said so.

They then started enforcing all of these strict rules regarding time in office which resulted in a horrible morale among employees and caused a high turnover rate. Prior to this, no one ever questioned my laid back demeanor. All of a sudden they were monitoring everyone's "in office time" and were disciplining individuals for being at their desk at 9:35 instead of 9:30.

They act as if this strictness has lessened these past few months but it's still there - they just aren't vocal about it.

A month ago, they fired every single CDA I in the company and most if not all of the CDA's in the UK. I was greatly affected by this because I was then forced to be the lead for several studies without being given any heads up or training or warning I was just thrown to the wolves and have felt like I have been drowning ever since and get no support from management.

We still have employees coming to work with the Flu because they're scared management will notice they are out sick for multiple days. People are scared to have doctors appointment or any appointment/reason they have to be late for work because the management team is still overly concerned with physical presence in office and not quality of work. I literally loathe every single day that I have to drive into that office - it's just the most depressing environment to have to spend 8 hours in daily.

Advice to Management

Quit treating people the way you do currently. I have PTO accrued and am terrified to use it because you chastise people for doing so and have even told me that my PTO use is preventing me from getting promoted - which probably wouldn't make a difference in my life anyways because you don't pay people anywhere near what other companies pay. I'm personally on an active search for a new job elsewhere and can't wait to be treated the way I should be and compensated for my efforts at an appropriate level.