INC Research Reviews | Glassdoor

INC Research Reviews

Updated August 15, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Opportunities to work from home for clinical staff and project managers (in 31 reviews)

• The work life balance and flexibility is good (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance has been difficult (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management make decisions while having absolutely no idea on how the other departments operate (in 16 reviews)

"Enjoy my job"

Current Employee - Project Specialist II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Specialist II in Austin, TX

I have been working at INC Research full-time

Pros

Plenty of opportunity; there are some great managers, I love mine; opportunity to work remote, Have learned a lot

Cons

There is a lot of work to be gone; you really need to ask questions about what your job will be at the company, and the team you land on really makes or breaks you.

"Unqualified Project Managers"

Former Employee - Clinical Team Leader in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Clinical Team Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at INC Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can get on a good team and be content for a bit.

Cons

I have never worked with less qualified project managers in my life. Many do not have a college degree! Project Managers that don't understand ICH/GCP are a liability. Don't take every Project Specialist and make them a PM. Some of the people higher up in the organization are insecure about their knowledge so they get irrationally defensive. Every single team I was on for the six years I was there was catty at some point. My character was indicted and I was left defenseless.

Advice to Management

Don't assume people that have been with the company a long time are good at their jobs. If they are costing the company money because they are not tracking monitoring spending, don't keep them on.

Allow employees to move into CST. Not listing these jobs as such in a public database is illegal. You must have friends on the inside to move onto that team. Sick

Consider raises that are commiserate with the increase in cost of living so employees aren't effectively taking a pay cut every year.

Do not allow managers to wait until performance reviews to point out an issue to an employee. Allow them the chance to fix anything they may be doing wrong.

"Great experience so far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive company culture and really enjoy all of the teams I work with. It's growing very quickly, which is exciting to be part of. I am recognized during successes and feel supported during struggles. It's a professional, corporate office environment with a good work-life balance.

Cons

It's extremely busy, but mostly due to how fast the organization is growing. It's a bit crowded here at headquarters, so I wish more teams were allowed to work remote.

Advice to Management

Keep the company culture strong and positive.

"Apply at your own risk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can really think of to be honest, I guess the coffee and sometime bonuses.

They are now upgrading management which could be useful only if they would wipe out all the old and start over.

Cons

INC Research can be a good company if they would start over. Many managers have not utilized management and leadership courses (not provided by INC just in general) to gather a better understanding on how to lead a team. Many managers capability to do the leg work of the position is there but to lead a team properly isn't present. Not to single one manager out over another one all the managers and supervisors need to update their management skills because the lack of these skills is leaving the company to have to hire around the clock. The turnover rate for this company is through the roof because the management is the problem until that is fixed no new higher up will ever fix a broken problem with a new idea.

Advice to Management

Until the top personnel realize that the ground management is the problem they will always have to continue consulting with temporary workers because bringing in a permanent employee will not work. Use what you got to improve the condition on the inside before you get rid of the old. So many good employees are being fired instead pay for their advancement in skill set. The decidated workers are either being laid off or quitting because the unskilled workers are fooling you. They are the ones leading your company in the hole. You should get tired of the negative reviews for a very promising company. Without satisfied workers a company can not and will survive. The CEO Jaime is pretty awesome if the company was like him it would be a great company.

"Great company to work for and grow"

Current Employee - Project Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at INC Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is extremely helpful within the company, regardless to if they work with you or not. I think unity like this is rare in corporations these days. Very open communication with everyone, and able to move laterally within company if current job isn't for you.

Cons

With it being an international company, your managers and team are rarely located in your area. This makes it is hard to execute tasks effectively without your team physically being there in the office with you. (No matter how many different communication software programs there are, nothing compares to face-to-face interactions).
    PS's do not receive a bonus.

Advice to Management

Maybe focus on employee's location in regards to assigning LM/PM. It is most beneficial to at least have them within the same country.

6. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of growth and opportunity, dynamic workplace, great benefits.

Cons

Constantly changing - sometimes difficult to keep up with changes.

"Worst CRO to work for"

Former Employee - CMA in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - CMA in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid week between Christmas and New Years

Cons

This is by far one of the worst CROs to work for, the management is inexperienced and incompetent, I honestly wonder if people are being paid or coerced to give positive reviews here. Everyone that I know who has worked for INC or is working for INC was completely miserable. They conduct layoffs then turn around and re-hire...cheaper labor. No-one seems to know what they are doing, in the 4 years that I worked at INC I had 5 different managers, was moved 6 times, and of the 5 managers I had I would say only one should have been a manager. INC is terrible I wouldn't recommend anyone work there ever.

Advice to Management

Hire some managers who actually know what they are doing and treat your people better!

"If the CEO only knew...."

Former Employee - One of Many in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - One of Many in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research full-time

Pros

They allow you to be terrorized from home, decent though limited benefits

Cons

Managers (not Leaders), EXTREME micromanagement in the form of terrorist attacks by managers, 317 ways to do the same thing, every man for himself mentality, you will readily be thrown under the bus, do not collaborate (you should know how to do you job on your own), do not ask questions (you should come into your position with 100% industry knowledge and know the INC way Day 1), 60 work week but get it done in 40 (it makes the "work life balance" look bad if you don't and you WILL hear about it), ZERO room for growth (I worked with one co-worker who had been with the organization for 10 years with top notch work and never offered a promotion), did I mention TONS of managers and ZERO leaders, held accountable for processes you know nothing about, merit raises capped at 2% across the board regardless of performance (this came from a manager), EU given domain over US training, and these are just the small things....

Advice to Management

Jamie McDonald is an amazing CEO and the upper management he as surrounded himself with is topnotch! It is the middle management that is choking the organization. If Jamie knew the inner workings of the company, he would be livid. If he heard how managers speak to their direct reports, I doubt they would be managers very long.

Jamie, get out in the trenches. It's not your upper level employees who are dying slow deaths here, it's your grunts, your "lower level" employees. Take these folks into your confidence. Protect them, they won't talk freely, they need their jobs, after all. Listen to what they have to say. Your organization is broken on a fundamental level and your cornerstones are clawing to get out. You looked me in the eye on Day One of my orientation and said,"Everybody here at INC matters." Prove it. DO SOMETHING. Best of luck!

"Management be honest!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at INC Research (More than a year)

Pros

The office closes for winter break, the week between XMAS and NYE.

Cons

Management at various levels needs to be replaced. The employees work hard for lower than industry salaries and benefits. Raises are low and bonuses are only for directors or above.

Advice to Management

Be honest!!!! In the all hands meetings you indicated growth for 2016, hiring 3000 more employees, etc. As a company it was the best year in 2015 and as a group we had the best Q1 for 2016 but as of April you are laying off ~200 staff. Why the double talk? Management could have told employees this layoff might happen so we can plan accordingly for our families, medical care etc. Instead, you spend our last days, hours, minutes having your soon to be ex-employees training you! Unreal ... Management treat your employees how you would like to be treated ... and be honest!

"Heavy workload"

Current Employee - Senior Bio Statistician in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Bio Statistician in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at INC Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, positive business prospective, higher visibility, more potential to grow. Fewer layers of management compared to big CROs. Strong PM department.

Cons

Heavy workload, average benefits, smaller client base, weak oversea resourcing team not held accountable. No bonus outside of core department.

Advice to Management

Strengthen recruiting efforts and make current employees more accountable