INTERAMERICAN MOTOR CORP Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Mosunic

1. "Warehouse Associate"

I worked at INTERAMERICAN MOTOR CORP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Heading in the right direction.

Cons

Started out 12hr 7 days a week. Had to threaten to unionize just to get a decent wage after autozone merged with them

Advice to Management

Be honest with the career advancement. You're giving false hope to the workers that can't travel and relocate

"Lacking motivation and upper management"

I have been working at INTERAMERICAN MOTOR CORP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

EXCELLENT co-workers within company to work with. I come to work everyday to enjoy the company of the people I work with not. Benefit costs reduced within the past year

Cons

NO advancement opportunities unless you are willing to relocate out of state. Upper management has absolutely no clue on what they are doing and the direction that needs to be taken. Yearly wage increase for 2015 did not happen due to merger with AutoZone(at least that's what ive been told) no help or support with or from upper management. ABSOLUTELY NO proper training with company computer system which is not the easiest to learn. There is no team within IMC. Everyone loves to point fingers especially management and sales instead of taking blame where blame is due. Communication is very lacking.

Advice to Management

Start taking care of your employees and acting like you care about them because in the end, it is the hourly workers that make the company the profit and keep the day to day tasks and business goals going. We are not a retail supplier, so when you decided to bend over and say yes to the uniform, was the stupidest idea ever especially when we have to supply our own uniforms and don't get any reimbursement for them whatsoever. Get better training material. Stop asking if people are willing to relocate when advancement opportunities are almost non existent unless your on the good side of someone that has the ability to make it happen. Communicate better information on where the company is heading and quit hyping it up to what its not.

"Upper management has failed this company"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at INTERAMERICAN MOTOR CORP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. Good product lines . competitive pricing in the market place

Cons

Upper management has run this company to the ground. And autozone needs to step in to stop the bleeding and clean house .

Advice to Management

Update your resumes ..you suck

"Come work here if you can't find a job elsewhere."

Current Employee - HQ Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - HQ Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at INTERAMERICAN MOTOR CORP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee discount on auto parts. However, it isn't that great of a deal as most items can be purchased on the internet for the same employee price or cheaper. Further, you can't buy parts for friends and the catalog isn't very extensive so its kind of a moot point. The real highlight of the benefit is the fancy coffee machines that makes latte.

Cons

Low-end wages and compensations compare to market. Company has sub-par leadership starting from Mosunic and down. Previous tightwad German owners got "played" by the current Managers and sold-out the company on a firesale. But the tightwad culture continues under AutoZone. Skillful employees have left the company in the last 2 years due to the US economy rebounding. I am one of the last ones here but I am out of here on Monday. Come work at IMC if you are sub-par worker, because those are the ones left here. Anyone still here are either "skill-less" or needs a US sponsoring visa.

Advice to Management

I challenge ANYONE from AutoZone or John Mosunic to contact "under cover boss" and come and see what is wrong with your company. Its truly an armpit of a place to work and THANK GOD AutoZone has a deep-pocket to burn the money through for IMC on life-support, as this place is pretty much "brain dead".

"Territory Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Alhambra, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Alhambra, CA

I have been working at INTERAMERICAN MOTOR CORP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, and potential to move up in the company. Hours are perfect for anyone who wants to work a second job or has a family they need to raise.

Cons

Was bought out by AutoZone and is starting to become very corporate. Seems like the only objective isn't to take care of their employees but to make as much profit as possible by cutting pay, reducing drivers. if you get promoted good chance they will ask you to relocate outside the state.

Advice to Management

Don't mess with the employee wages and pay them below the national average where its barley enough to get by get by. This isn't managements fault as much as it it corporates fault.

"Senior Leadership is Disconnected"

Current Employee - Sales Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good people working here other than the senior leadership.

Cons

The company went through some very tough times during 2011 - 2014. The German family that owned IMC supported the business through this period, and in early 2012, brought in a new leader as President and COO. Things really started getting better; sales increased, the employees felt that the President really cared about the business and them, but then for some reason in 2013, they hired Mr. Mosunic. Suddenly, the company turned negative, the tone from him was terribly negative and the business started suffering again. So much so that they had to sell the business. Now, the business is really struggling, Mr. Mosunic seems lost about what to do and the senior team simply does not care about the employees at all! The President that turned the company around left as soon as the company was sold to AZ; He must have been so frustrated with what Mr. Mosunic did to the business that he left. Now IMC is nothing like it used to be, A bunch of new locations, but no sales increase and not making money. From the sales side (where I work), we just do not seem to have the parts our customers need and it is getting worse not better. The leadership is in complete denial that anything is going wrong and they only scream at us and tell us to "sell what we have and stop complaining"...I do not know how much longer I can take this or how much longer the senior team will keep denying that they are the problem.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers, listen to your employees, be humble and accept help from the people that work for IMC and engage the employees to help you fix this great company. Stop misleading everyone and accept the facts in front of you...get help from someone, otherwise, IMC will certainly just become AZ. Stop making us wear AZ uniforms...we are a wholesale commercial business model, not a retailer! Have courage enough to stand for what is right for IMC rather than just nodding your head toward Memphis and jumping to their every silly request. Keep IMC's identity alive! Please, please, please do not kill this company! I have too many years invested here. You guys just do not understand our business model! Sad to watch this downward spiral!

"What a joke..."

I worked at INTERAMERICAN MOTOR CORP full-time

Pros

Overtime was a free for all so that was cool and good for my paycheck.

Cons

This place is a joke. I'm sure A-Zone has buyers remorse and vomits everyday on why they bought this company. The running joke is which department has the dumbest ppl. Those at the top are just as bad and some are a really sad. What a horrible place to work. Taken advantage is a part of the day...everyday. What a joke.

Advice to Management

wake up

"Not the IMC it once was. Not even close."

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at INTERAMERICAN MOTOR CORP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A seasoned sales team that knows how to take care of customers. A group of buoyant professionals who know how to make lemonade out of rotten lemons. Not much else positive to say.

Cons

Management in last 2-3 years appears to be deaf and blind to employee and customers needs. If you don't hold customer satisfaction in high regard then you'll fit in like hand in glove here. If you want to maintain a healthy business relationship with your customer base, IMC will not be a good fit. Not whatsoever.
    In addition:
    -3 severe paycuts since 2011
    -Downturn in sales volume and margin
    -Rampant lack of accountability in most departments
    -Lack of core coverage for large percentage of 2006 and later popular import platforms
    -Dwindling customer satisfaction

The relevance and future looks grim for IMC.

Advice to Management

Your hands off approach has to be the most ineffective, unscrupulous and arrogant management technique I've worked under. IMC was a tight knit company made up of passionate professionals who actually cared about the success of the company and the import parts industry. Then, unfortunately, your regime landed and poisoned the water. IMC is nothing more than a corpse of the great healthy being of what it once was. Your tactics have destroyed your team's outlook, morale and livelihood. You should be ashamed of yourselves!

"Big Plans-or-Exit Strategy"

I have been working at INTERAMERICAN MOTOR CORP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As an Employee of IMC for over 10 years it is easy to see that the people working for IMC are the glue that hold this company together, during my tenure. Experienced individuals bring significant strength to this company. Beyond that, I must say there isn't much going for IMC and the future looks dark.

Cons

After years of change such as computer systems, management turnover and failed attempts at developing new locations it's difficult to see a positive outcome for IMC. The culture at IMC due to management and their lack of understanding has become one in which many employees, like myself, are looking outside for any opportunity to advance our careers with other companies. Cons with IMC include; poor leadership, misguided direction of the company, computer system integration and product offering development, supply chain/logistical procedure. Unfortunately I can go on.
    If you are an individual looking to join IMC and this is a stepping stone for your career then I recommend IMC because the employees are fantastic people and will help you grow within this industry. If you are seasoned in your automotive career and looking to IMC as an advancement along that path I wish you great success but strongly suggest you look to other avenues. The future of IMC looks dark.

Advice to Management

Look to your employees for the direction. Your track record is well known and the people you depend upon to advance your current agenda are not supporting you nor will they. Employees are not commodities nor will you achieve success thinking you have all the answers. The current direction is seen as an exit strategy and that goes far beyond the employees at IMC. With over 30 years of experience in this industry IMC was by far the best company to work for 10 years ago. I hope it can capture a little of that going forward and reverse the downward spiral.

"New management = Less Profit, Less Productivity"

Pros

Excellent co-workers, everyone here really treats each other with respect. Decent benefits, and the occasional company party that usually involves a food truck from a pretty good place (The Habit burgers or In-n-Out).

Cons

There have been multiple lay-offs recently and several upper management figures have been replaced by new folks. The company has suffered severe profit downturns and the morale among the employees has never been lower.

Advice to Management

Instead of making IMC more like WorldPac or attempting to fix what isn't broken, focus on improving the morale of your employees. When everyone thinks they're one day closer to being fired for no apparent reason, nobody is going to feel very motivated.