INgrooves Music Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Working for INgrooves"

I have been working at INgrooves Music Group full-time

Pros

Culture, Co-Workers, Location, substantial and meaningful work.

Cons

There are no downsides for my job.

Advice to Management

No advice for management

2. "Leadership team could care less about you"

I worked at INgrooves Music Group full-time

Pros

Your fellow employees are great

Cons

It's an every man for himself culture

Advice to Management

Try it for a change

3. "Admin"

I worked at INgrooves Music Group full-time

Pros

Free snacks, Social Media access not websites are blocked. Medical, 401k, FSA, etc included Flexible work hours and environment, occasional work from home.

Cons

Micro management, no room for growth, very very low salary. HR does not care about employee.

INgrooves Music Group Response

May 26, 2017 – Head of HR

There have been many positive, exciting yet sometimes challenging changes at Ingrooves in 2017 as we continue to evolve our business. Past issues are opportunities for us to do better – and we have... More

4. "INgrooves does it's employees dirty"

I have been working at INgrooves Music Group full-time

Pros

Culture and work atmosphere. Music Industry Job.

Cons

No competitive salaries. No review process. No career path. No employee support. No employee recognition. No regular employee meetings or communication.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth! Offer (at the very minimum) a cost of living raise to your employees . Give your employees a clear path to growth. Take care of the employees that have been with you in the trenches for years. Follow through on promises made. Be a technology leader, not a follower.

INgrooves Music Group Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Head of HR

Ingrooves has been working hard for the past year to make this a better place to work, focusing on providing employees more opportunity to engage at all levels with regards to their career-path, job... More

5. "Operations"

I have been working at INgrooves Music Group full-time

Pros

Very relaxed job, we get to work from home often and it is not high-stress at all

Cons

The company pays well below the music industry average, they also put no priority on moving people up within the company

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about what is happening in and with the company, should also be paying competitively

6. "For those about to rock!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at INgrooves Music Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

INgrooves was probably the most fun I have had yet in the workplace. My co-workers were amazing and quite pleasant to be around. I miss it!

Cons

Compensation is a bit below industry average, from what I've heard but coming from a non-profit it was definitely a step up.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I wish I could go back, but sadly I was priced out of the Bay Area.

7. "Great experience, but disorganized and rocky future ."

Pros

Great experience for young person in the music industry, open office environment, interesting intersection of music and tech.

Cons

Disorganized/disconnected division from rest of company, not a lot of room for growth, unrealistic expectations combined with lack of resources...

Advice to Management

Provide your employees with the proper tools and resources to accomplish their job.

8. "Great place to work, but plan on working hard and always being busy"

I worked at INgrooves Music Group full-time

Pros

Managers are great- they understand what needs to be done and the time and technical skills that are needed to execute.

Fun work environment. Fellow employees were nice and easy to work with.

Cons

Office moved from the financial district Fisherman's wharf, making my commute from East Bay hell.

Software teams and QA teams were understaffed- we always had waaay more work to do than the number of people needed to execute.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the open office layout. Since many of the software team members work remotely, many employees are Skype meetings throughout the day. The noise and cross talk of these skype meetings in an open office plan gave me terrible headaches and made it difficult to concentrate and write quality code.

"Great culture, fun environment, and thats about it."

I worked at INgrooves Music Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like the entertainment industry and music in particular working at this company can be really enjoyable, as you are surrounded by artists and labels and music daily. Very laid back and casual environment. One of the best things is that no one is uptight, overly sensitive or touchy, and it's super easy to be your self around people and be accepted for what you are. Chances are that most people working there are music lovers, so everyone is either a musician, or DJ, or sound engineer, or producer or some kind of artist in the music field . The company really does attract music lovers and it's obvious that many people are willing to take the cons of the company as long as they can feel that they are part of music. Another pro is the average age, and you get to work with a ton of young people, majority when I was there were in their thirties and twenties. There aren't many "perks" but the company has pretty fun company parties and outings and the office is nice.

Cons

The pay is borderline laughable and benefits are average to low. Also, it is always unclear whether the company is living or just existing. Indications from management are always unclear and or secret, and It's hard to tell if there is growth and whether or not they are doing well or not so you always worry that you may be wasting your time or stagnating there. Promotions are virtually impossible, and new openings to apply to and try to climb up the latter are scarse. I've seen many people leave and or stay only for some months or a couple years at the most while I was there. Also, the equipment you work with - old Dell desktop PC computers - are garbage and overall, the feeling is that someone in there is making/keeping all the money, while the lower you are, the more you feel deprived of resources, be it the appalling pay rate you get, the cheap equipment you work with and so on. Overall the company is a huge tradeoff: you get to work in a fun, enjoyable, laid back, relaxed and not overly busy company operating in the equally fun entertainment industry, but you also have high chances of living in "poverty" and stagnating.

Advice to Management

Start a serious growth program with your staff. The argument that "it's fine if you leave, we'll find someone else willing to work for this pay rate" will never benefit the company. Encourage staff to take on special projects and spearhead something. Give people the opportunity to show their strengths. Give them the opportunity to grow and thrive. Have more meetings and involve staff more in parallel projects and activities. EXPECT staff to create something that has their name on it and that involves ownership. Be clearer and more transparent about revenue, growth and the overall health of the company.

"great people excited about the music industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at INgrooves Music Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great co-workers who are laid back but enthusiastic about their work
    - Empathetic and fair execs
    - Sleep well knowing you are helping independent musicians promote themselves
    - Low key office environment
    - Remarkable work/life balance

Cons

- Salaries are lower than other music companies, but you are working in independent music and this is to be expected
    - So busy that there isn't a lot of time for guidance and mentorship in the departments
    - Executives could be more involved in the deeper details
    - Top down communication could be improved (and there is a plan in place to improve it)