IOActive Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jennifer Sunshine Steffens

1. "The Best of the Best"

Current Contractor - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for and with a wide variety of companies in my 30-year career, including several boutique consulting firms and tech startups. IOActive is, hands-down, one of my all-time favorites. They have an incredibly smart, talented, and hard working global team all focused on being the best and most innovative in the business in service to meeting customer needs and exceeding expectations. I have personally found IOActive to be one of the most professionally satisfying clients/employers of my career. The combination of being a small and rapidly-growing, global company in a high-demand business sector makes it challenging and fun in all the best ways. Communication is open and transparent with plenty of support.

Cons

Critical thinking, excellent communication, flexibility, tolerance for ambiguity, resourcefulness, ability to tackle hard problems, and resilience are important attributes for success here. Not everyone thrives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. "Great company driving the security industry forward"

Current Employee - STPMM in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - STPMM in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The on boarding experience was great--very seamless. Benefits are strong for an innovative, boutique security firm and are consistently evaluated for improvements. Management and leadership have a great sense of where the company is headed. Innovation and research into solving security problems for industry is a priority here.

Cons

You need to be comfortable with innovation here. This is probably more of a pro than a con, I guess. Great culture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing--it's a great place to work.

"6 month employee"

Current Employee - Vice President of Operations in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Operations in Seattle, WA

Pros

Innovation, creativity and opportunity.

IOActive is a young company so any employee can influence the company's future. I am very excited to work with such a dedicated technical team. A very unique and cool place to work if you like looking at problems in unorthodox ways.

Cons

It is a young company so doesn't have many of the established processes that you would see in an older company. You have to be ok with that or better yet, help define the processes without adding bureaucracy that is so common in most larger companies.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring dedicated and uniquely skilled people that like to help customers secure their products from nation-state attackers.

"half full"

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time

Pros

IOActive is good if you are a true geek with skills looking to work on fun, challenging projects you would never see in the real world. If you are looking to just hide and collect a check, take a pass, you will be managed out.

Cons

There could be more cross over between the hardware and software teams and for those of us looking to get more into breaking gates, time on the FIB!

Advice to Management

Keep sending cookies.

"Rarefied Air"

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have contributed to research that has reshaped the way the world perceives and adopts technology; I find this hands down amazing. I have seen news stories and white house policy change as a result of my and my co-workers research effort. I'm not sure where else I could do that but I'm happy its happened to me here and look forward to the next break.

Cons

Sometimes client projects slip and we have to be rerouted to another site. Not a show ender but a hassle none the less.

Advice to Management

Hack the planet!!

"Gravity of Genius"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IOActive is a great place to work if you want to work with the best and the brightest in the industry with no pretense. We check our ego's at the door and focus on doing good work for ourselves and our clients. I have never been somewhere with such a dynamic team willing to go the extra mile for one another; two thumbs up.

Cons

We could use some a few junior consultants to fetch my coffee.

Advice to Management

Keep it funky.

"DO NOT COME HERE"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

Pros

Smart people for the most part

Cons

You've heard of MBO? Here it's MBB- Management By Bullying. CEO thinks we are all there to serve her, not the customer. Very poor morale; everyone I know here is looking for a new job.
    The founder of the company needs to get a REAL CEO- our current one has no business acumen; if you don't kiss up to her, she won't like you. Expected to spend every waking hour working-no work/life balance.
    The parties are inappropriate- part of the reason so many of the decent people are leaving here.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO- current one should be in sales- but then that would mean she would need to learn what we do.

"Stay away. Dishonesty and nepotism hurting the company."

Current Employee - Director of Services in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director of Services in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly technical, opportunity to work with some really interesting customers, and sometimes actually get some research done.
    The brand name still holds albeit getting downhill in the past couple of years because of bad management.
    Very "thrown into the deep-end' approach, that works very well with the hacker-type and allows for personal development.

Cons

Sometimes unethical.
    Management is horrible, a string of bad decisions in management hiring driving the company down the drain which shows (high turnover, good people leaving by the troves). For some reason management "protected" its bad decisions and make the problem even worse.
    Lying to employees in order to keep them on-board is becoming a common practice. Employees are getting highly disgruntled, and end up leaving (at all levels - consultants, senior consultants, managing consultants, directors, CTO, and a VP that finally got fired after 2 years of hurting the company).

Advice to Management

Get your act together.
    CEO should turn into VP sales, need to bring in a professional CEO who understands what the company does, nurture the unique culture, and drive the company forward (and no, don't bring them from a big 4...)
    Stand behind your word and obligation to your employees, and they might actually stay.

"Loving it"

Current Employee - Security Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So far I'm really enjoying my time here. I get to do interesting projects for interesting clients. Finally getting stamps in my passport going to fun places. The training has been great. Can't wait to try out new skills in the lab!

Cons

Consulting isn't always easy and IOActive is definitely fast-paced but I think that just makes it more fun.

Advice to Management

I really enjoy the team meetings and trips. More of those please.

"Can't imagine working anywhere else"

Current Employee - Principal Security Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Security Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Things are always interesting. I get to work on lots of projects with lots of different people. Jennifer is great inspiration and so easy to work with. She definitely understands us geeks. Cesar and Gunter make sure we have lots of research opportunity. The sales team makes sure to sell engagements we want to work on. Even on bad days, can't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

So many new things to try, so little time. I am tackling hardware hacking, control systems, client stuff! It's hard to know what to try first sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. It just gets better every year.