IOActive Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

4.5
Jennifer Sunshine Steffens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Incredible place to grow your career and your skill set."

Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm coming up on the completion of my first year at IOActive, and I couldn't be happier. When I started I was inexperienced and quite new to the professional world. I'd worked in a variety of industries and honestly had no idea what to expect from IOActive. I rapidly realized that this was an environment filled with highly intelligent, driven people, who all care about and are good at their jobs. Not only that, but they have been endlessly patient with me, and are always willing to take the time to mentor or show me how to do something new. As I have demonstrated my abilities, I have been recognized, and given increasing responsibilities, all in line with my expressed interests and career goals. If you work hard here, and do a good job, it doesn't go unnoticed.

This review may seem overly positive, but I have honestly been blown away by this company, and especially my coworkers.

Cons

There is definitely a demanding work load and high level of organization required to succeed here. Being a small company, you must be prepared to take on multiple roles, and to always be flexible in your position. While some may view this as a "con", I also feel that it is an excellent reason to work here.

You also need to know when to turn off work for the day. I was told early on that there will always be more work than can get done in a day, and that I need to be comfortable with letting some things wait for tomorrow. This has been valuable advice, and quite true.

Advice to Management

Please maintain the open communication and availability that has been present for me in my first year. The moments that I get with Jennifer, or other members of senior management, are always very valuable, and teach me something new every time we interact. The recognition, and obvious care for employees goes a long way to make IOActive the healthy work environment that it is.

"An Interesting and Fun Place to Work"

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Three characteristics make IOActive an interesting and often fun place to work: 1. The deep knowledge and broad experience of the security consultants; 2. The ability to do silicon-layer security research which AFAIK is unmatched outside of government, and 3. A family feel to the place. This is NOT the cookie-cutter grind mill stable of security consultants that some other companies are.

Cons

As a small company, IOActive must continue to improve on the core business processes that will make it truly world class.

"Warm and friendly"

I have been working at IOActive part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Around highly experienced people with intelligence and dedication that makes you want to work harder.

Cons

Hard to make a name for yourself.

Advice to Management

Listen to low levels. Just because someone isnt up in the ranks doesnt mean they dont share the same passion.

"The Best of the Best"

Current Contractor - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for and with a wide variety of companies in my 30-year career, including several boutique consulting firms and tech startups. IOActive is, hands-down, one of my all-time favorites. They have an incredibly smart, talented, and hard working global team all focused on being the best and most innovative in the business in service to meeting customer needs and exceeding expectations. I have personally found IOActive to be one of the most professionally satisfying clients/employers of my career. The combination of being a small and rapidly-growing, global company in a high-demand business sector makes it challenging and fun in all the best ways. Communication is open and transparent with plenty of support.

Cons

Critical thinking, excellent communication, flexibility, tolerance for ambiguity, resourcefulness, ability to tackle hard problems, and resilience are important attributes for success here. Not everyone thrives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Great company driving the security industry forward"

Current Employee - STPMM in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - STPMM in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The on boarding experience was great--very seamless. Benefits are strong for an innovative, boutique security firm and are consistently evaluated for improvements. Management and leadership have a great sense of where the company is headed. Innovation and research into solving security problems for industry is a priority here.

Cons

You need to be comfortable with innovation here. This is probably more of a pro than a con, I guess. Great culture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing--it's a great place to work.

"Fun people"

I have been working at IOActive (More than a year)

Pros

We have the best hackers

Cons

It's a small company with the bureaucracy of a large company.

"The Evolution from Good to Great"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is something special about working at IOActive, something that wasn't always there. I left IOA few years back; I did some research, traveling, independent work, and a start-up. I had no intentions of returning; but when I did, I found something special. There was a marked and significant improvement in IOActive on a number of levels.

When I was first here, the culture of the org was somewhat fractured. There was a freshly minted exec team in place to introduce improvements designed in enable the org grow from a plucky hacker collective to a true cybersecurity powerhouse. Unfortunately, the result was unnecessary silos, and an “us vs. them” mentality between every functional element. And with every day, it got worse. Many times, this happens when a small company makes moves that are fundamentally required for its survival in a big company market. And many times, the small company doesn’t make it.

Today, the company has taken a new course and the demons of the org have been properly excised. The exec team has been almost entirely replaced with the right professionals for the right time. Most of the poison in the ranks was expelled naturally through attrition. Today, there is no dead weight at IOActive and we are extremely lean. There is a distinct spirit of belonging that brands every elite group and it’s incredible to walk back into this. We are elite - it’s exceedingly interesting to watch, because the staff believes this, once again.

Cons

Is IOActive perfect? No. Today’s perfection is the mirage of modern digital security. In our case, some parts of the org need more federated leadership. Others need more structure. Others still need more investment. It may sound trite or obvious, but growth is an evolutionary process. The idea of turning the “growth” corner from small company to big company is a myth - it’s an arc. This development arc has many steps along the way and some of these steps do and will present challenges to IOActive. The best part of all of these challenges is that they are internal - they’re IOActive centric.

The market has begun the process of commoditization for general security services. The tools, tactics, techniques, and procedures are being socialized at an exponential rate - this is great for the process of enhancing security. However, this process forces a crushing, high-pressure, high tempo cycle of research, delivery, research, delivery, etc. in order to remain elite. This has a human toll which manifests itself in attrition. To combat this vicious cycle, IOActive has introduced other additional lines of security services to alleviate these pressures on the delivery side of this cycle. Is it perfect? Who knows, time will tell. But the leadership elements are determined to make it successful.

Advice to Management

I have read reviews on Glassdoor suggesting that Jennifer Steffens should leave the CEO position, and go be VP of Sales, or something similar. In the past I may have shared this perspective; however, in today’s IOActive I definitely do not share this perspective. Leadership presents itself in all manners and fashions. It doesn’t come through time in grade or service, or through age. It is neither given, nor earned; and like nature, leadership abhors a vacuum. It’s clear that in today’s IOActive, Jennifer is just fine where she is.

Leadership is why IOActive is so successful today, and will be successful in the future. Specifically, I am referring to Jennifer’s leadership. Is Jennifer perfect? No. Is the exec staff perfect? Certainly not. We all make mistakes. Personally, I look forward to making mistakes because its only in our mistakes where we actually learn something really valuable. If we’re good, we learn to make new mistakes. If we’re great, we evolve. IOActive has evolved.

My advice to management is this: Find the leadership in the organization and foster it. Like nature, leadership grows…it evolves. Find it at every level and enable it. This enablement is infectious and will assist in the employee engagement and retention initiatives. IOActive needs to focus on itself for awhile.

Benjamin Disraeli, a mid-19th century UK Prime Minister, once said, “The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his time when it comes.” Jennifer is ready for this challenge. The executive team is ready. The staff is ready. It is an exciting time to be at IOActive.

"6 month employee"

Current Employee - Vice President of Operations in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Operations in Seattle, WA

Pros

Innovation, creativity and opportunity.

IOActive is a young company so any employee can influence the company's future. I am very excited to work with such a dedicated technical team. A very unique and cool place to work if you like looking at problems in unorthodox ways.

Cons

It is a young company so doesn't have many of the established processes that you would see in an older company. You have to be ok with that or better yet, help define the processes without adding bureaucracy that is so common in most larger companies.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring dedicated and uniquely skilled people that like to help customers secure their products from nation-state attackers.

"My and my team's efforts matter!"

Pros

The IOA environment allows good ideas to flourish and efforts to be noticed as improvements are being effected in every function of the organization. Very rewarding to see clear successes driven by personal, team and cross-functional! IOA culture is changing for the better to have more input from stakeholders before decisions are made. The international work environment adds to the complexity and variety of everyone's work and interactions.

Cons

Requires effort to get to know everyone well, as many on team are located internationally or work remote.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You're headed the right direction.

"half full"

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time

Pros

IOActive is good if you are a true geek with skills looking to work on fun, challenging projects you would never see in the real world. If you are looking to just hide and collect a check, take a pass, you will be managed out.

Cons

There could be more cross over between the hardware and software teams and for those of us looking to get more into breaking gates, time on the FIB!

Advice to Management

Keep sending cookies.