IOActive Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jennifer Sunshine Steffens

"Can't imagine working anywhere else"

Current Employee - Principal Security Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Security Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Things are always interesting. I get to work on lots of projects with lots of different people. Jennifer is great inspiration and so easy to work with. She definitely understands us geeks. Cesar and Gunter make sure we have lots of research opportunity. The sales team makes sure to sell engagements we want to work on. Even on bad days, can't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

So many new things to try, so little time. I am tackling hardware hacking, control systems, client stuff! It's hard to know what to try first sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. It just gets better every year.

"Loving it"

Current Employee - Security Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So far I'm really enjoying my time here. I get to do interesting projects for interesting clients. Finally getting stamps in my passport going to fun places. The training has been great. Can't wait to try out new skills in the lab!

Cons

Consulting isn't always easy and IOActive is definitely fast-paced but I think that just makes it more fun.

Advice to Management

I really enjoy the team meetings and trips. More of those please.

"Business Development"

I have been working at IOActive full-time

Pros

Outstanding company! Progressive!! Work Hard/Play Hard mentality! Well focused management! Strong goals, stronger ethics!! Everyone always will to help and assist if you ask. Strong availability for growth within the company as it is getting bigger!! Gartner recognition!!

Cons

Those that are not willing to ask for assistance or help do not get it. Looking for adults that are professionals and have the attitude to do what it takes to win and be the best.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire what YOU perceive to be the best!

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Security Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Security Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at IOActive full-time

Pros

Tons of Opportunities to grow. let me first say this is not a company that will hold your hand as your go through the process of building your career, but everything is there for the taking. There are tons of smart people and lots of resources, a large variety of work, and opportunities to even travel like crazy if that is your thing. If you can take responsibility for your own career then this is a perfect environment to help you grow or to set you up working with the top people and clients.
    There is a place for everyone in terms of company culture and outside of work life. If you like to party there's a strong party scene, even if you like to kick back or have a quiet evening there are opportunities. I personally tried out both, I found a deal of encouragement, brotherhood, and friendship working at IOA.

Cons

There are a lot of strong personalities and different structures within IOA that initially seemed a bit unstructured.
    However, I quickly realized sitting around and doing nothing got me no where, reaching out, connecting and asking for things got me everywhere.

"half full"

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at IOActive full-time

Pros

IOActive is good if you are a true geek with skills looking to work on fun, challenging projects you would never see in the real world. If you are looking to just hide and collect a check, take a pass, you will be managed out.

Cons

There could be more cross over between the hardware and software teams and for those of us looking to get more into breaking gates, time on the FIB!

Advice to Management

Keep sending cookies.

"Rarefied Air"

Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Security Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have contributed to research that has reshaped the way the world perceives and adopts technology; I find this hands down amazing. I have seen news stories and white house policy change as a result of my and my co-workers research effort. I'm not sure where else I could do that but I'm happy its happened to me here and look forward to the next break.

Cons

Sometimes client projects slip and we have to be rerouted to another site. Not a show ender but a hassle none the less.

Advice to Management

Hack the planet!!

"Gravity of Genius"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IOActive is a great place to work if you want to work with the best and the brightest in the industry with no pretense. We check our ego's at the door and focus on doing good work for ourselves and our clients. I have never been somewhere with such a dynamic team willing to go the extra mile for one another; two thumbs up.

Cons

We could use some a few junior consultants to fetch my coffee.

Advice to Management

Keep it funky.

"Unique, Fun, and Growing Company"

I have been working at IOActive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, brilliant and passionate people that really care about the company's mission to make the world more secure. The global need for cyber security services is growing exponentially and the company is uniquely positioned to deliver solutions that few others really can. A largely new leadership team in place is setting a strong foundation to evolve/mature the company to take it to all new levels while maintaining the fun and dynamic culture that's consistently attracted the world's best and brightest security talent. Tremendous upside here, a company that's on the move and well-equipped to do something very special in a hot and growing market.

Cons

Not too much to share here. Growing pains mostly. Growth inspired change and transitions typically come with some challenges that not everyone is equipped to handle or flourish in. Transforming from basically a start-up to a world-renowned elite services company takes time, patience, adaptability and perseverance that not everybody possesses. Given the space the company is in it also employs wide range of often eccentric personality types that can create strains at times, but it makes it a very diverse and never boring work environment.

Advice to Management

Fantastic changes occurring in the business this year. Stay on the current course and keep calling on this team to raise our game and take advantage of the great opportunity we have. You can really start to feel the momentum across the business.

"Exciting, Engaging, Entertaining and Evolving!!!"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Windham, NH
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Windham, NH

I worked at IOActive (More than a year)

Pros

IOA has some of the most amazing technical talent on the face of this earth. As a BDM, knowing the type of quality work enables you to not sell on price but on quality of the work to be performed. Two amazing labs for embedded penetration testing as well as consultants in over 26 countries. Management will always listen to you and return feedback directly. Also, the fact that this company has such great talent and can make decisions quickly for the BDMs is a huge plus!!!!

Cons

As a remote BDM, sometimes info takes a while to get to you, but if you ask, they will always respond. Do not promote just to promote. Quality at all levels is a must to continue success!

Advice to Management

As stated above, quality at all levels is a must for success. It is better to wait and get the right people into positions than just move people that are not ready or do not have the right temperament.

"The Evolution from Good to Great"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor

I have been working at IOActive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is something special about working at IOActive, something that wasn't always there. I left IOA few years back; I did some research, traveling, independent work, and a start-up. I had no intentions of returning; but when I did, I found something special. There was a marked and significant improvement in IOActive on a number of levels.

When I was first here, the culture of the org was somewhat fractured. There was a freshly minted exec team in place to introduce improvements designed in enable the org grow from a plucky hacker collective to a true cybersecurity powerhouse. Unfortunately, the result was unnecessary silos, and an “us vs. them” mentality between every functional element. And with every day, it got worse. Many times, this happens when a small company makes moves that are fundamentally required for its survival in a big company market. And many times, the small company doesn’t make it.

Today, the company has taken a new course and the demons of the org have been properly excised. The exec team has been almost entirely replaced with the right professionals for the right time. Most of the poison in the ranks was expelled naturally through attrition. Today, there is no dead weight at IOActive and we are extremely lean. There is a distinct spirit of belonging that brands every elite group and it’s incredible to walk back into this. We are elite - it’s exceedingly interesting to watch, because the staff believes this, once again.

Cons

Is IOActive perfect? No. Today’s perfection is the mirage of modern digital security. In our case, some parts of the org need more federated leadership. Others need more structure. Others still need more investment. It may sound trite or obvious, but growth is an evolutionary process. The idea of turning the “growth” corner from small company to big company is a myth - it’s an arc. This development arc has many steps along the way and some of these steps do and will present challenges to IOActive. The best part of all of these challenges is that they are internal - they’re IOActive centric.

The market has begun the process of commoditization for general security services. The tools, tactics, techniques, and procedures are being socialized at an exponential rate - this is great for the process of enhancing security. However, this process forces a crushing, high-pressure, high tempo cycle of research, delivery, research, delivery, etc. in order to remain elite. This has a human toll which manifests itself in attrition. To combat this vicious cycle, IOActive has introduced other additional lines of security services to alleviate these pressures on the delivery side of this cycle. Is it perfect? Who knows, time will tell. But the leadership elements are determined to make it successful.

Advice to Management

I have read reviews on Glassdoor suggesting that Jennifer Steffens should leave the CEO position, and go be VP of Sales, or something similar. In the past I may have shared this perspective; however, in today’s IOActive I definitely do not share this perspective. Leadership presents itself in all manners and fashions. It doesn’t come through time in grade or service, or through age. It is neither given, nor earned; and like nature, leadership abhors a vacuum. It’s clear that in today’s IOActive, Jennifer is just fine where she is.

Leadership is why IOActive is so successful today, and will be successful in the future. Specifically, I am referring to Jennifer’s leadership. Is Jennifer perfect? No. Is the exec staff perfect? Certainly not. We all make mistakes. Personally, I look forward to making mistakes because its only in our mistakes where we actually learn something really valuable. If we’re good, we learn to make new mistakes. If we’re great, we evolve. IOActive has evolved.

My advice to management is this: Find the leadership in the organization and foster it. Like nature, leadership grows…it evolves. Find it at every level and enable it. This enablement is infectious and will assist in the employee engagement and retention initiatives. IOActive needs to focus on itself for awhile.

Benjamin Disraeli, a mid-19th century UK Prime Minister, once said, “The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his time when it comes.” Jennifer is ready for this challenge. The executive team is ready. The staff is ready. It is an exciting time to be at IOActive.