ION Media Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
R. Brandon Burgess

Pros
  • good benefits package, room for advancement (in 3 reviews)

• Monthly dessert for Birthdays also we had a pizza party because "we are making so much money" (but no raises) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • middle and upper management was micromanaging and sometimes would trickle down to the local stations (in 6 reviews)

• No raises (CEO doesn't believe in them) (in 5 reviews)

1. "Growing and Changing"

I have been working at ION Media Networks full-time

Pros

The company is continuing to grow and change providing challenges that allow you to strengthen your skills.

Cons

No clear path to follow to advance.

2. "Good place to work, but maybe not for the long haul"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I worked at ION Media Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's stable work. Great environment to learn your craft. Most of the workers are nice and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

No raises unless you get promoted or get a competing offer from elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Have better communication.

3. "Amazing Company Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Engineer in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Clearwater, FL

Pros

Very collaborative atmosphere, no ideas go unnoticed to anyone. Upper management is very engaged in a positive way and are always collaborating with one another.

Cons

As of right now, this has been a great experience for me in my job path.

Advice to Management

Allow a more open door to C level management.

5. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at ION Media Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ion seems to really go out of it's way to make new employees feel welcome, and apart of the team. For the first time in many years I am excited to come to work each day. Management seems to take a special interest in assisting employees in their professional growth. Benefits are great too!

Cons

So far so good, nothing yet!

"Short and Not so Sweet"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

- Lovely office
    - Free coffee and monthly birthday celebrations
    - Fabulous IT guys who were always around and helpful
    - Budget for marketing is above and beyond what any of my former small companies could have imagined
    - Good wage for an intern
    - Weekly team meetings

Cons

- Hired on a 6-month contract with talks of extension to a permanent position, but I was laid off just shy of one month (couldn't believe they couldn't foresee that)
    - Had absolutely nothing useful to do towards the end, as I finished all of the projected work for six months in one
    - Had to work across the office from my team in a corner with no lights on
    - I felt like I had to beg for projects

Advice to Management

While I didn't have enough time to thoroughly review management and their styles, I do know that I felt quite uncomfortable in approaching my superiors and have not had that experience before or since this position. As a new hire, I wasn't made to feel a part of a team and had to seek out guidance for what needed to be done in my position. A training process for new employees would be nice. Communication between executives and their departments should be improved.

"Stable, Positive Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ION Media Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ION Media is structured, reliable, and friendly. Unlike other companies in which I have been employed, your responsibilities and contributions to your department are clear and you are recognized for your contributions. The employees in the New York Office are a cut above - the level of production and expertise I see around me is impressive, and it's motivating to be surrounded by so many inspiring and capable individuals.

Cons

Formal communication from the top down is lacking, and there are no employee surveys or 360 feedback programs - so the executive team and employees are often on different pages.

Advice to Management

The communication from the top could be much clearer. There is a tendency on the executive team and with management to communicate via word of mouth as opposed to in writing, and to err on the side of not announcing things formally when changes must occur that affect us. This often creates confusion and stalls processes and overall productivity.

"Solid, secure company that just keeps on growing"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Representative in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Representative in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at ION Media Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment in the West Palm Beach office. Everyone is friendly, upbeat and happy to train and teach new things. No office politics, everyone gets along and plays their role without arguing or complaining.

Great benefits (medical insurance, plenty of holidays and personal days off)

Lots of catered lunches

Cons

None that I can think of!

Advice to Management

None

"Productive"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Sunnyside, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Sunnyside, NY

I worked at ION Media Networks (Less than a year)

Pros

Productive company to work in

Cons

Saw a lot of employees cry

"great place for destroying career growth"

I have been working at ION Media Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paychecks don't bounce. Majority of the workforce is friendly. Decent benefits package but not remotely competitive with more modern corporations. Free coffee. Decent option for people with no industry experience to use as a stepping stone to a better company.

Cons

Many employees have limited to no outside industry experience. Most middle management are "yes" people who bumbled their way into their positions. No real chance for growth outside of bogus titles with no financial incentive. Christmas bonuses (only form of reward or raise) were changed to performance bonuses yet are the same across the board with no direct correlation to an employee's actual performance. Insults employees once a year with mundane corporate performance review that only reminds employees they still can't get a raise. CEO has stated repeatedly that he does not believe in raises and is also currently being sued for racist and abusive treatment of employees.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO, trim the middle management along with department dead weight and bring in more progressive ideas along with giving raises and look around at what other leading corporations are offering employees.

"The proof is in the pudding...."

I have been working at ION Media Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Monthly dessert for Birthdays also we had a pizza party because "we are making so much money" (but no raises). Everyone (except two execs) are VERY friendly and hard hard working. I know when I leave I will still be friends with many.

Cons

Management specifically, two executives make it very hard to work here and they are the CEO and HR dept. Their behavior is both unethical and abusive. Yelling, swearing, and gossip from these executives bring the place down. It would be a terrific place to work if their attitudes change or even better.... got fired! It's so bad finally someone is suing them you can read about it in the NY Post.

Also I know for a fact that HR posts fake posts in order to get a higher rating...sad