IPG Photonics Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
IPG Photonics Chairman and CEO Valentin P. Gapontsev
Valentin P. Gapontsev

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good benefits, performance based raises and bonuses, stock options" (in 6 reviews)

• "Benefits are very good;3-4 weeks of vacation, holidays, sick time, health insurance cost is low, tuition, stock purchase discount" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Working hours can vary between teams" (in 4 reviews)

• "The Oxford office is in the middle of nowhere" (in 3 reviews)

1. "I love it here... so much potential"

I have been working at IPG Photonics full-time

Pros

Opportunities for my ideas and suggestions to be heard, flexible work arrangements, different projects to work on between groups, company is growing and doing very well, managers support and encourage employee development.

The benefits package is extremely competitive as well as compensation. The pay is generous and there is room for bonus and overtime pay as well.

Cons

I can't think of any cons to share.

"Where your soul goes to die"

Former Employee - Assembly Technician in Oxford, MA
    Former Employee - Assembly Technician in Oxford, MA

I worked at IPG Photonics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting your foot in the door to manufacturing and assembly work. Decent benefits.

Cons

Cheap pay, lack of work. Forced mandatory overtime when short staffed/backed up on production. Abnormal work scheduling. Inability to move out of section. You will not be learning new skills or be cross trained. You are essentially taught one thing and are trapped there. People who complain or don't want to do their work get away with everything. Whereas reliable workers are taken advantaged of.

Advice to Management

I think you should recognize those who do well and offer more opportunities for growth and should reprimand those who clearly are there just to waste time and get paid.

"Be careful at IPG Photonics !"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at IPG Photonics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good healthcare and paid time off and the pay is okay 9 times out of 10 there is overtime is available.

Cons

This is for the newer IPG Photonics facility in Marlborough, MA, I can't really say much about they're Oxford, MA location I haven't worked there. A lot of corruption in their management, forced arbitration ( well they say it's optional arbitration but that's if you want to opt out of getting your company profit sharing check). They're also very wishy-washy when you ask them about the profit-sharing they say they don't do a profit sharing they do an annual bonus when you ask him about the annual bonus they say they don't do an annual bonus they do profit sharing. They also have Unwritten policies and I handbook that you would never know until they affect you, for example they don't tell you that if you have any HR altercations then you do not get a profit sharing check you find that out when everyone else gets their profit sharing check and you don't get one. They stopped helping the US economy. I have been with this company for a long time and in that time span we have always got our frames for our systems from US machine shops, well to save a dollar and ramp up their production they have been getting all of their frames for their machines from China. The group leaders and managers also pick favorites and in a small company that would be one thing but this is a pretty big company to be picking favorites. With all that being said this is not the worst place I've worked for but it is certainly one of the most unethical and unprofessional places that I have worked at and I would not recommend this company or at least the Marlborough facility for employment.

Advice to Management

Stop picking favorites of the most corrupt workers you have and be a little more honest.

4. "Fast paced environment"

I have been working at IPG Photonics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, performance based raises and bonuses, stock options.

Cons

The company grew very quickly and is adjusting to being run as a company of its size should rather than as a smaller company. Very top heavy management structure.

Advice to Management

Headed in the right direction.

"Assembler"

Current Employee - Assembler in Oxford, MA
    Current Employee - Assembler in Oxford, MA

I have been working at IPG Photonics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good starting pay with yearly bonus

Cons

Little chance to advance position. First shift starts too early, 5:00am and second shift ends too late 1:15am. HR policies are very strict and don't allow wiggle room on things like bonuses and raises.

"Too many salty bishes"

Current Employee - LASER TECHNICIAN
    Current Employee - LASER TECHNICIAN

I have been working at IPG Photonics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make a ton of money

Cons

Get rid of the salty btiches

Advice to Management

Getty boy here telling you to promote me

"Assembler"

I worked at IPG Photonics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits and vacation time was decent. Lots of overtime available.

Cons

Very strict atmosphere, high pressure and fast paced work. Felt under appreciated

"Avoid this company"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Oxford, MA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Oxford, MA

I worked at IPG Photonics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company doesn't have any pros.

Cons

Avoid this company if possible. This company is filled with juvenile project managers, who have no experience in efficiently handing projects. They over-promise the customer, and the engineers are DEMANDED to work for 80-100 hrs a week to meet the deadline as promised by the PMs. The engineers are always blamed for not meeting deadlines, while the managers enjoy annual performance bonuses.

This company also doesn't have any performance review system, so until you don't ask for a raise, you won't get it.

The work culture is pretty abrasive and hostile. Engineers often get yelled at for not working enough.

9. "Mechanical Engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at IPG Photonics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Technical rather business focused,

Cons

Disorganized. Poor Communication between departments and facilities leads to a lot of things being urgent that really shouldn't be.

"Mostly bad with islands of good"

Current Employee - Engineer in Oxford, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Oxford, MA

I have been working at IPG Photonics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some managers are great. Pay can be quite good for the area if at or past technician level.

Cons

Even best work is often not stimulating. Mandatory overtime is common and unwarranted. Turnover in some departments is atrocious. Different managers will undercut each other’s projects to get ahead. No communication or cooperation between groups unless someone very high up gets involved. Managers claim credit for employees ideas. Many important things don’t happen until the CEO gets angry.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like you care if they stay. Make decisions and stick to them. Don’t force overtime when you don’t need it.