IPsoft Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

3.1
IPsoft President and CEO Chetan Dube
Chetan Dube

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to learn various technologies (in 12 reviews)

• Nice environment, a fantastic opportunity to learn & really excel (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No appreciation of work/life balance (in 37 reviews)

• No work/life balance, they expect you to be available 24/7 even on your vacation to be called and harassed by the ticketing system (in 14 reviews)

"Fantastic Workplace for Highly Motivated Individuals"

Former Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I worked at IPsoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IPsoft is a wonderful workplace for individuals who are highly-motivated, committed to their work and are able to understand as well as buy into the broader goals of the organization.

High achievers are recognized often and this recognition is not only limited to those who are on the front-lines of the business. From the facilities staff, to the technical teams and all the way to upper management, IPsoft strives to recognize those who make a difference, no matter your role.

IPsoft expects you to be autonomous with your work and lets you truly own your career. There is limited to almost no micromanagement (at least from my personal experience) which affords you the opportunity to meet your end-goals as you best see fit.

The breadth and depth of technologies at IPsoft allows you to gain experience in a multitude of different applications, tools and services.

You will be surrounded by brilliant individuals. IPsoft holds a high standard of excellence for every new hire, so everybody who joins the organization is a top-achiever in their previous roles.

Aside from the actual day-to-day work environment, there are amazing perks at IPsoft:
    - The PTO policy is very generous, which includes sick days on top of PTO
    - The benefits are some of the best in the industry, with amazing insurance coverage including medical, dental, vision and others.
    - There is a 401(k) match
    - Daily free breakfast and dinner (In NYC HQ, not sure about other offices)
    - Cafe with full time baristas offering complimentary European coffee, healthy snacks and drinks (again, in NYC HQ, not sure about others)
    - Full time nutritionist on staff and complimentary fitness classes at a local gym
    - Monthly themed happy hours offering free food and drinks
    - A summer anniversary party as well as an annual holiday party
    -Monthly "Rockstar" award recognizing high achievers

Cons

While IPsoft rewards those who put in the effort and go the extra mile, those who are less motivated and just want a "job" fall into obscurity at IPsoft. For some this is a Pro, for others this is a Con, but if you're looking for a place to just coast by and collect a paycheck, this is not the place for you.

IPsoft is growing and maturing very quickly, which leads to a lot of change throughout the organization. Those who are not comfortable and/or are resistant to change may have a tough time.

As stated above, IPsoft expects you to be very autonomous and own your career, for some who like more structure and micromanagement of their day to day, this may be a con.

No real work from home policy, however with the new PTO policy, you have flexibility to take the days that you need.

Advice to Management

A broader commitment needs to be made to customer success throughout the whole organization. Customer success does not lay solely on the CRM department, it is a function of all departments to ensure customers are perpetually committed and reliant on IPsoft for their business needs.

A formal management-training should be offered for those who would like to enrich their career and grow internally within the organization. It would also be useful for those who are currently in a management role and would like to manage their team in a more effective manner.

"Thankful I'm no longer there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at IPsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food and a fridge that's stocked really well
    Great happy hours (if you enjoy your co-workers)
    Seems they have a lot of money to spend just not on your salary
    Office was well kept

Cons

No women or people of color in higher positions.
    - It's 2017 and the CEO is the only person of color, which I find even more bizarre that I need to mention this. I think adding to this though, the whole environment seems like a good old boys club, it's cliquey and I could never get into it. It will work for some though. Everyone is pretty nice but it's one of those places where it's for you or it's not.

Micromanaged
    - This was my first role where I was micromanaged and it became extremely counterproductive. Lost majority of my morale.

No remote working
    - Once again, I'll specify the year. 2017 and I had to beg and plead to work from home for a day.

Management

-Aside from my director and boss the rest of the upper management was extremely pretentious and from what I could see not too good at their roles. Do better training on your directors and their mannerisms. IPsoft is a company most have never heard up, not sure where the arrogance comes from but let's get that in check. You're "leading an industry" that most don't care about. Be humble - it's IPsoft not IBM. (I still get asked what that company I worked for did - awkward)

This review might be extremely negative but heed all the other negative feedback in the reviews. I'm not a disgruntled employee, I just wish I paid more attention to these reviews when I was applying/accepting an offer. This was one of my worst jobs and in a sense, I regret even accepting it but life happens and it was a step for me.

Advice to Management

Get more diversity in your leadership team. It's 2017 and I think we can acknowledge that white men are not the only ones capable of holding executive roles. Women and people of color can do just as well and probably better than your current mediocre team.

Better salaries would get you better tech talent

I don't care how much you spent on the office if I can perform my role elsewhere allow me to from time to time or you'll be losing out on a lot of talent.

"Underpaid and overworked with little benefits to balance it out"

Former Employee - Helpdesk in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Helpdesk in New York, NY

I worked at IPsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great in the "we're all on this sinking ship together" sense. Company parties are pretty great and they throw one every month. Free breakfast or dinner if you don't happen to be busy taking calls when it's served. If you work at the 17 State office you get access to a barista onsite. Benefits seem to be above average. The CEO is very nice and has pretty inspirational speeches at the company parties.

Cons

No work/life balance, they expect you to be available 24/7 even on your vacation to be called and harassed by the ticketing system. If you're not your bonus will be mostly gone and your managers will not be in a hurry to rectify it.

You will be very overworked. You will be expected to take 20-30 calls a day while managing over 100 tickets and working on requests that come through.

There is entirely too much stuff to memorize for each client you support, and very little documentation. What little documentation there is is stored in a terrible system that takes way too long to search through if you can find anything anyway.

Bonus system is pathetic. It's based on a "unsatisfied", "satisfied", or "very satisfied" rating and it's too easy for clients to choose satisfied which hurts your bonus. What hurts your bonus even more is when a client gives an "unsatisfied" for something completely out of your control. The review process is a joke, it's based in India and the team that reviews you gets their own bonus for denying you a bonus, so they will look for any small reason to confirm a drop so it takes your bonus away.

Management is either vicious or incompetent. They will pile on work for you and if you tell them it's too much they'll tell you it's a time management issue on your part. They'll introduce asinine requirements like forcing helpdesk call takers to program automata, without realizing that they are not programmers and they are busy taking 20-30 calls a day while working on hundreds of tickets. It will then be held against you during reviews and negatively affect your raise.

Despite being very easy to do, management will not allow you to work from home in all but the worst conditions. Even in heavy snowstorms managers are trying to tell people that they expect them in the office, while said managers are off or working from home themselves.

Middle management will curse at employees fairly loudly for the whole office to hear.

Advice to Management

Work with your employees not against them. Stop proclaiming from on high what needs to be done and actually go down to the trenches and see what each employee is doing. Stop treating them like they are lazy and just want a paycheck for doing nothing. Inspire them to keep learning and to learn from mistakes instead of threatening them with 6sigma over every little mistake. This makes your workers want to do less so they won't have as many chances to hear from 6sigma. Stop cursing at employees, even in private.

4. "Company should change quickly before it's too late"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at IPsoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Company is doing great things with AI for enterprise
    + Ability to grow technically by working in great projects
    + Beautiful offices, friendly coworkers, free snacks
    + Flexible schedule

Cons

- Claims start-up culture, but no bonus or stock options offered to engineers
    - Most of the projects are slowly getting outsourced
    - High employee turnover and team disengagement

Advice to Management

Look internally for ways to build a better culture and motivate your engineers to do great things.

"Expands skillsets to widerange of network environments"

Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at IPsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

casual atmosphere, great parties, awesome place to work for a year or two but not a lifetime.

Cons

too many clients (companies), lack of training, middle management uninspiring, too dependent on India office

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees; don't make them feel like they're easily replaceable. CEO's speeches are inspiring; I wish middle management can be like him.

"Underpaid, overworked, no work/life balance"

Former Employee - Service Desk in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Service Desk in New York, NY

I worked at IPsoft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health benefits, generous 401k matching plan, company parties, if you are lucky enough to work at the 17 State Street office, there is a coffee bar in house for free.

Cons

No work life balance - you can and will be harassed 24x7 by the ticketing dispatch system, or being escalated to by lower level engineers who aren't reading SOPs.

Claims to be a meritocracy - impossible to get promoted internally unless you are a management favorite.

Taking on a lead role is basically thankless and you will be buried in work and told its a 'time management issue' when you aren't allowed to move away from phones/tickets to complete projects that are constantly being either assigned or escalated to you.

Bonus structure went from generous when I started in 2009 ($1 per ticket, $1 per call) to miserable ($0.25 per ticket) - there was a time where you were rewarded appropriately for the amount of work done and this compensated for the below market salaries. For reference, I switched employers and got an instant $15k raise for performing the same job function, and with only 1 client not the 12-15 you will have to support at an MSP...this was after working here 8 years and getting 2-5k raises each year.

Advice to Management

Rather than publishing articles on 'recognizing overworked IT departments' and wagging the collective IPfinger at other companies, you should look internally and realize that the house you are standing in is on fire.

"Infinite Incompetence"

Former Employee - Senior Desktop Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Desktop Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at IPsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Run. Run away fast.

Cons

There are no words to describe this place except for maybe completely asinine, incompetent management that would viciously bully you, eat your heart, and then spit out your soul.

They play a good game and say it must be done today or else but I did not bite nor play along because I called out their BS.

The CEO is so full of it and a complete hypocrite. I don't believe anything that he says. Of course, his hypocrisy naturally dominos down and infects all upper and middle management like a bad computer virus.

Advice to Management

Stop lying already

"Happy as a Clam"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IPsoft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not a lot of red tape. If you have worked for a stock ticker that has one letter and is tired of the everyday political and bureaucratic baloney come here and get your sanity back.

Smart people

Caring executive team relatively speaking

You don't have to wait two weeks for a laptop and phone like you would with the company with one letter stock ticker symbol

Cons

There is a lot of work but that is also a pro if you like to actually do stuff rather than rot your brain away in a dead end job where you are underutilized

Work-life can be hard if you plan on starting or have family. Also talk about working a day remote with the HR manager saying it will be active if only after you've proven yourself after say one year.

Advice to Management

Don't sell out and go public. I've worked at startup gone public I hated it and all the brains of the operation left shortly after the takeover.

Going public kills culture, morale, etcetera.

I don't like Aetna. I prefer EBBS

"Good job but recent politics are letting it down"

Current Employee - Senior Project Technical Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Technical Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at IPsoft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked in the NY office for a few years and have always loved my job.

Cons

Recent changes have introduced politics and it's quickly becoming a difficult place to keep your head above water

Advice to Management

Work with us not against us

"R&D Engineer"

Former Employee - R&D in New York, NY
    Former Employee - R&D in New York, NY

I worked at IPsoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

may have good learning experience depending on the team you get placed on.

Cons

They will nickel and dime you on salary. Must brown-nose to get ahead.