IQ Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tony Quin

1. "A Truly Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Strategist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Strategist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IQ Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at IQ for almost 4 years, which in advertising might seem like an eternity — but I enjoyed every minute of it. IQ is a place that encourages individuality, smart thinking, and creativity. The business itself is doing better now than ever I believe, which I credit to smart hiring and a better understanding of the market position of the agency. There's a all-for-one/one-for-all mentality at IQ that almost polices egos and in-fighting. People at IQ really collaborate and aren't looking to jump over each other for glory or control of a project. Though IQ has always been known as a good agency, it is far better today than when I started, which is a great thing for anyone who is considering working there or working with the company.

Cons

As with many agencies (and brands now for that matter), turnover happens. It was common at times for people to leave and for work to be spread around instead of re-hiring for that position immediately, causing some tension for people that became over-resourced. Work is sometimes resourced from the top down instead of spread amongst teams with differing experience levels, with upper level employees keeping a more dense schedule while lower level employees may have significantly less work or exposure with a client. Some of that can be attributed to being a smaller agency, for what it's worth.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward, don't look back.

2. "Going great places!"

Former Employee - Digital Strategist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Digital Strategist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IQ Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fully paid health premiums.
    A truly kind environment.
    COO and owner are tops!
    Creative department is delightful to work with are the account reps and project managers!
    Profit sharing

Cons

There are few places kinder than IQ. You would be lucky to work here either on the creative team or as a project manager or account rep.

Advice to Management

I've never experienced an employer that listened and acted to employee feedback like IQ. Keep on keepin' on!

3. "I love it here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Coworkers: The people here are all creative, whether they're in the creative department or not. They genuinely care about one another. There's no pressure to show up the earliest or leave the latest, but sometimes that happens accidentally because people actually like each other and want to stop by each others' desks on their way in and out.
    Management: The company genuinely wants people to like working here, so they invest in outings, events, free lunches, etc.
    Workflow: We're small, so silos don't really happen on projects, so you'll get diverse experience if you're interested in it. But we're big enough that you'll definitely be able to focus on your specialty without having to pick up an unrelated area because no one else is there to.
    Office & location: The office itself is really cool, with a large kitchen that's always stocked with snacks and a huge chalk wall. There are multiple hang-out areas with couches and comfy chairs so you can work away from your desk if you want. The large windows overlook a forested river, and the view never gets old.
    Work-life balance: I don't think many people here work more than 45 hours a week, and if they do it's because they want to, not because management is making them (unless we're about to launch a site or something, then it's all hands on deck). It's currently summertime, which means we're doing Summer Fridays - if you work your 40 hours before Friday at 1 pm, you can leave! Great for taking a long weekend.
    Benefits: They're excellent! Doctors will actually compliment you on your coverage, which IQ covers 100% of!

Cons

Clients: The clients we work with aren't cutting edge or very exciting, like in the financial sector or flooring companies. You have to try a little harder to make a cool campaign about floors.
    Benefits: IQ doesn't match 401K :(
    Location: The location is a bit outside the city, further up 75 than Vinings, so it's a drive for some folks and I hear it's harder to recruit new employees because of this.

"IQ"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Generally, the people that work at IQ are relaxed, smart, engaged and passionate. The work is fast paced and there is a loose and laid back culture that promotes individual responsibility, which is both good and bad in some cases depending on that individuals work ethic. However there is no one currently at the company that ruins the culture or has a bad work ethic or attitude, which is great.

Cons

IQ is an ad agency, so many of the cons that go along with agency life apply. The work is fast and constant, but the hours aren't long compared to other agencies. The agency is slow to hire citing a focus on culture fits and not wanting to expand faster than needed, so it sometimes feels like more people are needed but new hires are being made so that may not be a long term 'con'

"Things are good."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IQ Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Insurance premiums covered in full for employees
    - Summer Fridays
    - Snacks in the kitchen. (The kitchen is a little better stocked some weeks than others.)
    - Work/life balance (depending on role/department)
    - Supportive environment. I always feel like I can be transparent in my opinions to management and be heard and taken into consideration
    - The owner has become much easier to work with than before. I think management has just learned how to communicate with him really well so he's not running all over the place trying to figure out what's going on, and I wouldn't consider him a big drawback to working here.
    - There's clearly a lot of effort being put into making IQ a more fun place to work.
    - After a rough period where a lot of key people either left or were fired, there's been a boost in morale for the most part and things are good. As a previous reviewer said, there's a lot of momentum and I believe IQ is still a much better place to work than most agencies in Atlanta. It's on an upward swing.

Cons

- Location. Also, this might be a pro for some people, but it's not too far from the new Braves stadium.
    - Some key roles from that rough period have yet to be filled (although they are recruiting actively)
    - On the flip side of the pro, work life balance (depending on role/department). Some people are really overworked and the decision to bring in more people to lighten the load is made very slowly.

Advice to Management

Keep on working to make IQ a better place to work, and be sensitive to people's short and long-term career needs/goals.

"Great place to grow your career"

I have been working at IQ Agency full-time

Pros

IQ is a very entrepreneurial place where everyone is receptive to better ways to approach work, agency initiatives, and more. As a mid-sized agency, there are tons of opportunities to grow your career and really make a difference to the agency culture and success. It's a great place to learn by doing and grow your skill set.

Cons

#AgencyLife - not really an IQ thing as much as just agencies in general. work/life is fairly client-dependant and agency hours are typical. Additionally, the agency is growing and trying to make a name for itself in Atlanta, as well as nationally, so there is always pressure to help grow the business and be better than the month before, but again that's not really different than any other place I've worked.

Advice to Management

More opportunities to unwind and de-stress would be appreciated. Doesn't have to be something major or expensive, but taking some time to just stop working and celebrate.

IQ Agency Response

Aug 6, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for the advice about more opportunities to unwind. We are working on some ideas to get people together beyond what we do already. And yes, we are not good enough at Celebrating our successes ... More

8. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Digital Producer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Digital Producer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IQ Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance and an great place to work!

Cons

Too many internal politics for an agency of this size.

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Interactive Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Interactive Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IQ Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IQ has a culture that welcomes everyone's input, regardless of seniority or department. Employees are given a great deal of autonomy and there is enormous opportunity to learn, grow, and pursue career goals. The company values and supports the development of individual strengths, and makes a point to ensure that team members are placed on projects that are best suited for their interests and skill sets. There is no one strict way of doing things, and teams are empowered to find the best solution for the specific situation.

The work is good, and getting better. The people are great. There are, of course, the ad agency perks you might expect - ping-pong, darts, a kegerator, summer Fridays. There are also a handful of very IQ-specific perks, including a nanny share, which means employees are treated to the the occasional baby-pushing-another-baby-in-a-walker sighting. Oh, and there is a great work/life balance (seriously).

Cons

IQ is small agency, which means managers also play the roles of account leads, creative directors, strategists, etc. There are times when everyone is busy - including department heads. Because of this, there is sometimes limited involvement/availability from direct supervisors. This is not the best environment for someone who needs a lot of hand holding or day-to-day instruction.

Because of IQ's size and the nature of the digital space, the process is constantly in flux. The lack of established process and documentation creates confusion and conflict at times. This is a drawback of the "no one strict way of doing things" I mentioned in the "pros" column.

Oh, and the location/commute isn't great for those of us who live ITP (though the office is nice).

Advice to Management

Clearly communicate/make sure employees understand the long term vision for the company. Establish a program for ongoing employee training and development. Keep the monthly town hall meetings going.

10. "It was a great experience that changed my career for the better"

Former Employee - Creative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Creative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IQ Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Every agency has its challenges and its up and down periods, but I can honestly say my time at IQ was the most fun I've ever had at an agency. I was there for almost five years, and I learned a tremendous amount while i was there. IQ always seems to build crews of extremely talented and genuinely good people.

There is a culture of shared accountability and ownership which is truly rare in the agency world.

I was compensated fairly. When i did well, I was promoted and compensated even better.

And while their offices may not be "intown," they're darn cool.

I will - clearly - always have a warm place in my heart for IQ and Tony Quin, the owner.

Cons

The agency has sadly had more up and down periods than i would have ever liked to see, but they keep pushing and trying. Beyond that, the only issues I had really weren't worth mentioning.

"One of the worst agency in the country!"

Former Employee - Interactive Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Interactive Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IQ Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about IQ is that there is so much potential to be a great agency. Executive management has some great relationships with CEOs of major brands. The new building is one of the best agency spaces in the Atlanta area. Very easy commute

Cons

Executive management kills the potential by getting into its agency's own way. There's not a lot of processes in place. IQ has a history of releasing some of its best people - 3 rounds of layoffs in year is scary

Advice to Management

Find a balance between process, creativity and functionality. Understand that great ideas can come from anywhere in the agency.