IQAir Reviews | Glassdoor

IQAir Reviews

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glory Dolphin Hammes

"Keeping it as Honest and Constructive as Possible"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in La Mirada, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in La Mirada, CA

I worked at IQAir as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The "Pros" here are listed as basic perks, which most companies try to do nowadays because they realize that companies like Google and independent Video Game companies and other technology driver companies like Pixar and Dreamworks Animation, have great perks that people love. That being said, if you're brought on as a direct hire, you get:

*24 Hour Fitness Membership
    *Free IQAir Air Purifier (which is actually a great product)
    *Pastries on Mondays
    *Catered lunch on Fridays
    *On site gym (open to even non-direct hire employees, at least while I was there)
    *Slide in the main lobby area gives the "impression" of a fun, creative and collaborative environment.

Cons

The perks mentioned in the "Pros" above feel like they're put in place to hold more power over you and, as we say in Spanish, a reason to "sing" all their great reasons to work here to you and why you're lucky to work here. Unlike other companies where these things are put in to place because they can afford to and, hopefully, create a more positive energy and a higher morale among the employees, thus driving up productivity, creativity and great ideas generated from bright and eager employees on any level.

When I first started I was much like a lot of the "freshies" you see posting the bright, positive and sparkling reviews you see on here. I was happy as could be, positive feeling about where I had landed my next position and eager to work hard and earn the approval of my manager to, hopefully, show my value to the company. I felt I was treated greatly by all of my peers and made many friends and connections while I was there, most of whom I have kept in contact with after leaving. I worked really hard and stayed positive no matter what situation they put me in, who they shifted who I was reporting to and who was, essentially, put above me in my lowly position. I really put the effort in to staying collaborative, following the policy and doing what was asked of me. All it took was one meeting where the CEO was there and I guess she got the slightest taste of disapproval from me and the next day I found out was going to be my last. I was crushed because I put all of my positive energy to try and shine for IQAir, but I was tossed aside as if I had no value. This is the cause for bitterness you see in a lot of the negative reviews here. Among those negative reviews there shine some that are great, articulate and really help put a spot light on all that is wrong with working for this organization. Look at the review titled "Strategic Thinkers Beware" and "Not for the Highly Talented". These reviews will give you the true sense of the companies current state. No amount of perks can offset the feeling that the upper management looks down upon you, no matter how friendly they may appear, and that even if you're an expert in your field, that the CEO still knows more about your job and the current trends in your career than you. This is a systematic problem, and thus, there is another review titled "Systematic Problems with the Company".

These reviews are the best, because they state the true nature of the company without sounding bitter and aggressive, but in the end, people are just that. People. Humans who value what they do and the work and energy they put in to their work and to have that devalued and to be made to feel like your intelligence level is less or that you know nothing about what you're doing or that everyone else with a higher title than you knows more about what you're doing than you, is very discouraging, demoralizing and, to say the very least, a negative experience.

I can't, on good solid grounds and out of personal morality, recommend IQAir as a good company to work for. The perks and the shiny new building quickly lose their luster and soon the environment just feels cold and disheartening. Still a sad review for me to leave, because as I said, when I first started with the company, I was happy and excited, only to be let down and crushed.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure there's much advice that can be given. There are certain people in the company striving and doing what they can to make IQAir a great place to work, like Debbie, who will undoubtedly leave a response to this review, but many other individuals as well, but currently, the CEO is just not allowing that to happen.

May 11, 2016 – HR Manager

If you are going to take the time to write such a lengthy fictional account of the company and the truly incredible people that work here, at least be believable and leave out the histrionic ... More

"Quite possibly the worst place I've ever worked. Seriously."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Mirada, CA

I worked at IQAir full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IQAir makes a top-of-line product and you're working with the best clean air tech in the industry. Great company to have on your resume if you're willing to endure the negativity.

Cons

Look, if you're looking for an in-between job, IQAir is the place to be. The pay is average DOE, but among the shoddy management, barely-there leadership, and mind-numbing atmosphere... most of my co-workers were miserable. Get in, and get out ASAP.

There are sweet perks you can get - gym membership and free food - but otherwise, get ready to look back on your time at IQAir with "what was I thinking" disdain.

You may also notice HR attempting to "respond" to any negative review. Think about it: most HR departments couldn't care less about their Glassdoor reviews but there seems to be a scramble dispel any bad feedback. Really listen to what the negative reviews are saying because trust (TRUST) me... they're not wrong. You don't want to work here.

Feb 5, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. As you say, we do have a lot of sweet perks. Responding to reviews is hardly a "scramble", but a professional courtesy to respond to anyone who wishes to comment on the ... More

"Horrid place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Mirada, CA

I worked at IQAir full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most employees are friendly, and hard working.

Cons

This is the worst experience i have ever had working...ever. I was planning my move out of there the second i got hired. Management takes pride in bringing out the worst in people. They don't care about you, they make you feel responsible for the company's mess ups/problems, they make you feel replaceable multiple times a day and everyday, backstabbing or turn your words against you, deceitful and unethical. Working for IQAir, is like living your deepest and darkest moments in your life everyday, and you never get a break....That's your life... BUT you get free food on friday. So ok it's all worth it now..

Aug 5, 2015 – HR Manager

After reading this review, I have to say Oh my goodness. As a manager I can tell you very definitely that we don't take pride in bringing out the worst in people. I could go on about the falsehoods ... More

"Incompetent Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at IQAir full-time

Pros

They pay their employees
    They do provide benefits after three months

Cons

Micro-management on every front
    Treating employees as children

Advice to Management

Paranoia and distrust destroy a work environment. The management here has some deeply insecure feelings toward employees, and the employees feel they can never win.

Aug 15, 2014 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry to read that you had such a negative experience. I think you would find that the environment is very different today. Employee engagement, development ... More

"You are not a person"

I have been working at IQAir full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is ok. Good benefits and gym membership.

Cons

There is NO LOYALTY TO THE EMPLOYEE. Glory is grossly out of touch with her employees and with her customers. Training does not prepare you for this job. Management's high unreasonable distrust and suspicion of employees makes it impossible to perform at a high level. This is one seriously screwed up company who deserves its very poor reputation.

Advice to Management

Put your money where your mouth is. Put down the management cliff notes and learn how to properly manage employees. Stop asking employees for positive Glass door reviews for IQAir. It is pathetic.

Dec 29, 2015 – HR Manager

Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, however, there is none of that in this review. This review is so filled with anger and falsehood that there is no reasonable response. If you are ... More

"Not enough ups to offset the downs"

I have been working at IQAir full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful building, free Friday lunches, gym but even then its not worth it.

Cons

Management does not care about you as a person or you opinions. It is very much a "do as I say, not as I do" culture. They make employees feel like they're replaceable at an instant.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and their ideas as well as what they bring to the table.

Oct 21, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I'm very sorry to hear you don't feel valued. While no one person is irreplaceable, we do have a great team of people at IQAir and each and every team member is ... More

"Strategic Thinkers Beware"

I worked at IQAir full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Great Colleagues
    2. Benefits are good - lunch on Fridays, breakfast on Mondays, free gym membership, onsite gym, health and dental and vision covered
    3. Fantastic product and helps a lot of people - could be a HUGE company but it's Achilles' heel is the micromanagement and lack of innovation.

Cons

For the record, I am not a "bitter, ex-employee", I just simply value critical thinking, strategic planning and collaboration too much and these are not things put into action at IQAir.

Meetings that should be spent bringing together the content experts from different departments to brainstorm and collaborate are spent providing updates to the CEO on projects that most people are only doing because they have been told what and how to do something. Defending your job during each meeting gets to be overwhelming especially if it is stuff that you know is going to fail before you start it (and have voiced that concern.)

Accountability is one thing but micro-management is another and IQAir values day-to-day task micromanagement to the highest level. Trust isn't a word in the CEO's vocabulary. The current strategy is to not have one and any form of long-term planning is very rudimentary. If you also value these things and want an environment to learn more skill sets and grow as a professional, IQAir is not the place for you as it wasn't for me.

You can save everyone a lot of time during the interview process if you ask the following things and if the answer is anything different than what is outlined, it is being sugar-coated:

1) How many people have been with the company more than 2 years? A: A handful of the 60+ employees (they will say it is because of growth but that is a lie - they have gone through lots of people and just changed position titles to make it look good)

2) What is the leadership style? The CEO is "hands-on" AKA doing simple tasks and attending every meeting to avoid big picture thinking and doing what a fortune 500 CEO would be doing.

3) What is the work culture like? They will say it is a "flat structure" and that you have access to everyone - which is true BUT it's not so that you can approach them directly to collaborate or present ideas, it is that way because the CEO needs to know everything and approve everything (and I mean EVERYTHING...even emails to customers and word-smithing content written by seasoned professionals).

Advice to Management

1. Your company is only good as your weakest link, don't let that link continue to be you.
    2. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.
    3. Everyone has the same goal as you "make IQAir successful and a selling machine" - let the experts that you hire go make you money. It may feel uncomfortable but it can be the best thing you can do because you are not an expert in everything.

Sep 8, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We wish you the best and hope that you have found a position that better suits your own business philosophy and style.

"Not for the highly talented"

I worked at IQAir full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Great health benefits
    • Great new building
    • Free lunch on Fridays
    • Free bagels and fruit on Mondays
    • 24 hour gym membership
    • On-site gym
    • Amazing, wonderful co-workers ( honestly fantastic )

Cons

So what makes IQAir a 1 star despite all those pros?

1. First things first. Most positive reviews are from new hires. Actually read the reviews they will all say something like "just started and have no complaints". I along with 4 other people were pressured to leave a review ONE week into being hired on. We were all hired around the same time

2. This place is a micromanagement machine. All this micromanagement unfortunately comes from the CEO. The micromanagement extends to writing and authorizing 'dishwasher policies' and other head-scratchers. She will point fingers at departments or employees one at a time. A running joke is asking who or what department is in the hot seat this week? Disagreeing with CEO during meetings usually leads to write-ups or firings for 'not being IQAir material'.

3. The turnover rater is VERY high. Out of the 60 employees during my time there only 4 were there longer than 1 year. Everyone is in fear of their job, It is a stressful environment because people are scared to take accountability for decisions because they usually lead to firings. So departments will point fingers at each other in an attempt to avoid blame. Instead of feeling like you are on a team with fellow departments you feel as though you need to cover all your tracks to assure you are safe. During my time less than 12 twelve months over 20 people were fired. Most new hires don't stay past their probationary period.

4. HR is very over-bearing. Numerous mandatory weekly meetings leave middle management few too hours to guide subordinates. Processes must all be vetted by HR and CEO. Things take twice as long as needed to complete and you often leave meetings feeling like what was decided last week has changed 180º this week.

5. The actual work you will produce is outdated, not to mention the tools used to do so. So any new technologies, software, best practices, trends and new findings are quickly pushed down because it can't be controlled. CEO is strangely scared of public opinion from social media users so there is no social media channels. Replies to comments need verification from CEO before being posted leaving customer's frustrated with how long it takes to get their needs met.

6. Arrogance of the highest level is portrayed from the very top. While IQAir's product is an amazing product that actually works.There is zero emotion in the work place, no smiling faces, the feeling in the air is cold. Family arguments from the top of the chain will leave you confused as what to do next.

7. No growth opportunities to further your career here.

Its not a place I would recommend to work at unless you are looking to build our experience in your field. If you are highly skilled you will grow frustrated much quicker than others.

Advice to Management

Trust. Allow middle management and subordinates the freedom to explore options within their roles. It becomes a chore coming to work, don't make IQAir a place where everyone looks forward to friday lunch as the saving grace for the week.

Although a family run business, don't let those family feuds put your employees in lose-lose situations.

Aug 17, 2015 – HR Manager

Constructive criticism is great appreciated and taken very seriously. It is hard, however, to take this review seriously. It is so clearly sour apples. I would say that IQAir is ONLY for the ... More

"Horrible place to work"

I worked at IQAir full-time

Pros

There are some good people there and you quickly form friendships because of all of the madness.

Cons

If you take a job here you will undoubtedly regret it. The way the company is run is mystifying. The CEO micromanages every action of every department. Even worse than the micromanaging is the fact that she knows absolutely nothing, but thinks she knows everything. And if all of that isn't bad enough she contradicts herself just about every other sentence making it impossible to actually do what she wants. Many times you'll leave with what you think is a clear understanding of what she wants and once you've done it she'll say, "I never said to do that." You are presented with nothing but lose-lose situations at IQAir. I don't speak for everyone, but the majority of people hate it there. They can't stand going into work. They can't stand having to take direction from a person that is so out of touch with reality. There are a few people that have played the game right and actually like it there, but they are few and far between. Don't ever leave a job for IQAir and don't ever turn down another job for IQAir. You will kick yourself for as long as you can last there. HR has tried to spin the turnover in their Glassdoor responses, but the simple fact is many people don't last more than a year or two there. Some get fired, some quit, but in the end it all boils down to it's a horrible place to work and you will be better off never having to deal with what people there have to endure.

Advice to Management

There is nothing you can do. The place is doomed for mediocrity. Growth is a pipe dream.

Jul 21, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Constructive criticism is taken very seriously. Too bad there isn't any of that here. We're happy that you found an outlet on this anonymous site for your complaints ... More

"Systematic problems with the company"

I have been working at IQAir full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training, free lunch on Friday, free breakfast Monday, fancy new building, work/life balance, and great people. These don't make up for the cons. The sparkle and sheen of the building quickly wear off to reveal the rotten core of the company.

Cons

Don't expect to be in this job for more than a year, if you can make it that long. Turnover is comically high. Only work here if you are desperate for a stop-gap job.

Management is inexperienced, uninspiring, totalitarian, lacking direction and over-emotional. At this company you are not hired to think for yourself but to puppet management's bad decisions. Constantly changing priorities and no high level planning mean projects are never completed. Management also refuse to be held accountable for any bad decisions that are actually made, instead choosing to crucify the next target.

Other Glassdoor reviews implying that people who have left bad reviews are unintelligent or lesser people embody precisely what is wrong with the company. There can be no opinions other than the party line, and if you disagree prepare to work in an environment where your intelligence, capability and opinions are regularly devalued and insulted.

Most people start at the company thinking that all of the stories and these reviews are blown out of proportion, that they are the one that can turn things around because they've dealt with unreasonable employers or difficult clients. As an employee you will see the will and optimism sucked out of these people as they realize that it is truly a systematic problem with management that will never change.

Don't take a job here.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and take responsibility for your actions.

Jul 6, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. IQAir takes all constructive criticism very seriously and to heart. if you are truly so unhappy that you tell people not to take a job somewhere that you have worked ... More