IQPC Delegate Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

Delegate Sales

3.6
Rick Worden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You learn a lot about sales very quickly (in 9 reviews)

• Work environment is a fast paced one with lots of creativity and idea development going on (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • s such a high turnover rate that it completely brings down the culture (in 25 reviews)

• If a fast - paced, challenging and busy role is not what you are looking for then don't come (in 16 reviews)

"Great first job for recent college graduates"

Current Employee - Delegate Sales in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Delegate Sales in Tampa, FL

I have been working at IQPC full-time

Pros

Great office experience, and sales experience for recent college graduates. Learn valuable communication skills and basic corporate job skills.

Cons

Management not always on the same page. Training was a little lacking. High turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on training.

"Delegate Acquisition"

Former Employee - Delegate Sales Executive in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Delegate Sales Executive in Tampa, FL

I worked at IQPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent sales training, ability to learn a lot of different aspects of sales and marketing.

Cons

Horrible pay, horrible corporate culture, unprofessional management and HR. Markets itself as an events company, However it's run like a boiler room. DO NOT WORK HERE!

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like slaves and threaten their jobs to produce results. Pay your employees a living wage, and stop encouraging management to encourage people to quit.

3. "Two Weeks Notice"

Former Employee - Delegate Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Delegate Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at IQPC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outside of where I live, my main apprehension with taking a corporate sales job was my lack of experience. I feared that I would be thrown into a sink-or-swim environment and initially struggle; that definitely isn’t the case at IQPC. Following only a brief time working here, I will undoubtedly be leaving with a higher developed sense of professionalism, sales skills, and heightened understand of working dynamically within a team.

While I feel that it is important to pursue ones passion, that didn’t make this decision any easier. After reflecting on what I was going to do, I’ve come to realize how great of a company this is and although I am excited to pursue a more relevant career, the transition will be bittersweet.

I want to, again, thank you all for everything that you have done to help and develop me as a salesman; it has definitely been much appreciated.

Cons

It can be difficult position for some, especially if you didn't have any sales experience previously. Having a high business acumen certainly will come in handy, and the right attitude.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, was a great learning experience for someone with no sales experience and the opportunity to learn new skills.

IQPC Response

Jan 4, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience with IQPC. I couldn't be happier that you were able to use the skills you developed here to move into another role that better aligned with your longer term... More

"Great job to learn how to hustle..."

Former Employee - Delegate Sales in New York, NY

I worked at IQPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IQPC is filled with very talented individuals in each of their departments. You will get to make great friends in this open office environment and learn how to sell, market, produce, and operate each of their conferences. You will get to learn a CRM system that is very key this day and age. You are able to learn about very niche industries and topics that you would never have thought would be relevant to make money on. Learning how to make a cold call to prospective clients and handling objections will only further benefit your sales skills in the long run.

Delegate sales is where I started and where I left. Paul Rocco is the Director and provides nothing but great training and development for you as this position is something you would take right out of college to spring board you into your career. I would consider Paul one of my mentors when I was employed at IQPC as he always challenged me to be a top of the sales board month on month. When I first started the turnover rate was anywhere from 3-6 months that then increased to around the 1 year mark after my first year - during the reshaping of the departments. You will be able to receive at least 2-3 promotions if you stay committed in delegate sales to either EQ or Sponsorship. You are also able to learn both inbound sales and outbound sales. After these promotions you are pretty much done and then need to leave to continue learning how to sell different products.

Chris Ritchie taking over Sponsorship is one of the best decisions IQPC could have made. He is a great person who actually cares about his team and their success. He will take you aside for a meeting if you are struggling and find out what he can do to make you happy or successful. He knows how the business works and knows how to retain employees.

Cons

IQPC employees are way too under paid to what the market and competitors are paying for their talents. The $30k delegate sales base was cool back in 2009 & 2010 when the market crashed and no one had jobs. I have news for you, making $30k + $15k in commissions is not going to cut it for a entry level person living in NYC. Your job status at IQPC is only based off of the events you work on and what the managers decide to make you work on - so speak up and get on the best event. To retain employees IQPC needs to start opening their wallets (which they have plenty of $$) and paying these talented individuals what they deserve to help the events keep on growing. It does not go un-noticed how management micro-manages.

The mood of each day is based off of what Rick Worden or Rob Shannon feels about the daily sales numbers. This then stems down to the Managing Director who has to walk around the office making sure people are in their seats no minute past 8:30 or her sending out emails to ramp it up and get loud. This is the pure definition of micro management. I get it, they want to make money but for god sakes if you just lay off people for a little bit and let them do their own thing the money will keep on coming in. This in result turns into the blame game of why a event is struggling when in realty it was Rick Worden or Rob Shannon who signed off on having the event run! In return a very smart/talented producer would get fired for a event for not putting up good numbers when they can utilize them possibly in a different department.

The office environment was cool for the first year I was there then it turned into a frat house. The only way to calm the frat house is by firing someone or making constant seat changes. Like i said before, this is a place where you come in and learn how to hustle and not look back and be very competitive amongst your colleagues. The computers and software is so out dated and the bathroom on the floor is absolutely disgusting to the point where employees go to different floors to use their bathrooms. You will be promised a quarterly party or even a Christmas party that you will never get until 6 months later because they are so cheap.

Advice to Management

Treat and pay your employees what they deserve. IQPC is not a career at all and thats the way every person looks at it after being there "the life outside the blue walls". If you change the commission structures or up the base to even $40k you can retain employees at least to 1-2 years longer.

My first recommendation would be investing in a HR department and not just have 1 person recruiting and 1 person doing benefits. This department can focus on employee engagement and assure employees they are there for them. Harry Zapata was one of the best recruiters that IQPC had leave. He was one to always look out for someone on a daily basis and make sure a new hire was satisfied. Once he left the level of candidates just diminished.

The EQ reps are the given "promotions" and never really start seeing a pay increase for about 6 months as they were promised from the start. Right before I left the delegate sales team had their manager and 4 other top sales reps give their 2 weeks in the matter of 2 days! The positions received ended up paying former reps at least $50k base salaries. If that didn't send a message to the people up top then I really don't know what will.

5. "Not a bad job out of college"

I worked at IQPC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are straight out of college, it's a good opportunity to get some experience. They provide some training. You will learn how to use a CRM system which is a vital skill to have, but extremely boring. People you work with are great too! You can always shoot the s*** w them as long as you put 80 something calls a day. IQPC employees are hounded by other companies, so you will get a lot of job offers from recruiters trying to poach you.

Cons

For their events: Profit first, quality later.
    It gets boring and repetitive if you're college educated. There are no challenges to overcome.

Advice to Management

You can run your company anyway you want, you have your priorities and we have ours. For me, If the job is boring, I will jump ship. So dont promises the world to a new college grad when all you offer is a small pond.

"Terrible, Terrible, Terrible"

Former Employee - Delegate Sales in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Delegate Sales in Tampa, FL

I worked at IQPC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

dont do it, you will end up regretting it. sweatshop environment, zero care about employees, poorly trained mgmt staff, and almost impossible to do well. the environment isvery tense and does not lend itself to success. the office arrangement looks cheap, clearly not from a compant that does as well as they claim. just a very backwards functioning company.

Cons

cons are above, no pros

Advice to Management

get rid of them, inc the mging director. he is one of the problems

"Great Entry Level Opportunity"

Former Employee - Delegate Sales in New York, NY

Pros

Money, Money and Money. Hard work pays off here... If you are smart and hard working you can do very well. The base salary sucks but if you are willing to bust your ass for the first year you will be put on better and better events. High turnover means better opportunity for you and advancement. A true meritocracy!

Cons

High turnover (works both ways). Base salary sucks.... You always feel like your head is on the chopping block on every event

Advice to Management

They know what they are doing, and it works for them quite honestly.... Recognize real talent earlier and reward it...

"poor place to work"

Former Employee - Delegate Sales in New York, NY

Pros

young work force
    good company atmosphere
    good location close commute to grand central station ny
    wide variety of events
    realistic sales quota

Cons

poor product
    huge employee turnaround
    obvious favoritism
    two different offices with common goal competing against each other
    oblivious senior management.

Advice to Management

Management should be more concerned on streamlining two different offices as well as stream lining the departments working within the NY office

9. "Delegate Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Delegate Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Delegate Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at IQPC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great commission structure, autonomous, fast paces environment

Cons

Occasionally the focus is spent on the short term targets rather than long term goals- but this is definitely something the company are actively trying to change.

10. "Not an enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - Delegate Sales Executive- VIP in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Delegate Sales Executive- VIP in London, England (UK)

I have been working at IQPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is good initially, not micro managed the entire time, consistent products make for a easy learning curve, not a cut throats sales environment

Cons

Little to no transparency, toxic culture, management simply don't care about your career or progression only their own commission from your sales, training stops after the initial period, extremely repetitive job, actually offering of the company is poor so it's difficult to be passionate about your job knowing it has little benefit to offer

Advice to Management

Listen to the reps, they're the ones interacting with clients.

Stop hiring graduates the job is below their calibre.

Treat staff better or the business will lose everyone of value