IRESS Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
IRESS CEO Andrew Walsh
Andrew Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It makes for a more relaxed (and for me personally) more productive work environment (in 12 reviews)

• Work/ Life balance is obtainable (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The big difficulty at IRESS is senior management, who don't really give the impression that they know what to do to run a software development company (in 5 reviews)

• Career progression is not very clear (in 4 reviews)

1. "Finally! A grown up, fun, supportive workplace with real meaningful values!"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Cheltenham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Cheltenham, England (UK)

I have been working at IRESS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant Teams!
    Supportive and encouraging managers!
    Everyone is human no matter where they are on the org chart!
    There are many opportunities to learn, develop new skills and progress.
    Hard work is acknowledged and people say thank you!
    Friendly, energised office, great environment.
    After almost 3 years I still feel motivated every day and I absolutely love my job!

Cons

Genuinely had to think about this for some time as in the main it's amazing! So my only small comment is below

Core but smaller teams can sometimes be overlooked, though there are a lot of teams who make up the IRESS family, so understandably it's hard for every team to be visible at any one time :)

Advice to Management

Some senior management still need to get behind our core IRESS values. Every suggestion should be considered and even those which may not be utilised in the end are all worthy of genuine exploration. That will support the continuation of empowerment to make change and challenge existing processes. Looking at ideas with linear and historic views can be restrictive. Sometimes we need to completely remove the box rather than just think outside it!

Our values are key and commitment to those from everyone is vital to the success of these.

"Power Trips"

Current Employee - BDM in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - BDM in London, England (UK)

I have been working at IRESS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salaries are competitive and flexible working hours dependent on your role

Cons

Some Head's of departments are on a crazy power trip. Strong blame culture as the product is below par compared to other providers in the industry but nobody internally is willing to admit that.

Advice to Management

Some people that are senior managers either have no experience managing people or have the wrong attitude and clearly don't know how to manage people.

3. "Still probationary but loving Iress right now"

I have been working at IRESS full-time

Pros

-Lots of support, both with training and outside of work. If I'm stuck or struggling in either capacity, everyone has been friendly and willing to do what they can to help me resolve whatever my issue is, be it part of my job or a personal issue.

- I love the relaxed approach to appearance. There's no discrimination or reprimands since we all wear our own clothes. It makes for a more relaxed (and for me personally) more productive work environment

- It's very social, and I haven't felt like 'the new kid' at all

- A lot of my work is quite self-led, which is helpful for both my confidence and my skills.

Cons

-The sun shines through the windows into my eyes a lot?

-Presently I haven't found a lot of cons, though as mentioned I have not been here long and no-where is perfect. So far though, I am happy with Iress and how the work environment functions

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, don't lose touch with the staff, they make the teams what they are

Nov 23, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback. I’m keen to hear the background to some of the points you raise so please get in touch directly if you would like to talk further.

"Proud to work for Iress UK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at IRESS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Proud of our product and team that I work with.
    Working in a team passionate in our skills.
    Opportunity to explore various technologies.
    Rewarding job.

Cons

A feeling at times that some employees carry favour over others.
    Respect should be given by all to all, egos get in the way.
    Senior Management seem to favour certain individuals.
    Clash of cultures can be a problem.

Advice to Management

Get to know your staff down to the floor workers, not just management or middle management. We count too!

"Poor middle management"

I have been working at IRESS full-time

Pros

The people I work with
    WFH
    Good career opporunities

Cons

Continually experimenting with different initiatives
    Intolerance of "negative" criticism
    Atmosphere of Paranoia
    Poor planning
    Bullying tactics in middle management
    Poor Technical support
    Continuous pressure and stress (disguised as challenges)
    Corporate culture
    High turnover of staff

Advice to Management

Your people are your greatest asset.

Nov 23, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback. We have no tolerance for bullying so please get in touch directly with me or with HR to look into this. It would be good to understand some of the points you’ve made further... More

"Good company to work for, enjoyed my time at Iress"

Former Employee - Developer in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Developer in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

I worked at IRESS full-time

Pros

Fairly relaxed atmosphere, flexible hours and WFH. Good benefits - free fruit, bread, etc, annual bonus, social events throughout the year. Annual Hackathon. Decent grad scheme. Some great people to work with, a great knowledge base to work from and I really enjoyed my time working here.

Cons

Very little time is provided for Personal Development. Execs and Staff seem to want same things for the company but middle management are poor. Product too scared to say No to client at times - meeting release deadlines usually took priority over quality and some poor product decisions made prior to engaging tech team. Some real old technologies still in use, seems like there is little to no desire from management to push for newer modern technologies. Reliance on teams on other side of the world causes communication breakdowns which causes delays and frustration.

Advice to Management

Take time to engage with Technology and the teams/individuals rather than communicating via middle management. Review locations of full tech stack for products, bring in line and/or provide local support where teams are in different countries.

7. "Technical Support"

I have been working at IRESS full-time

Pros

Great People
    Nice office spaces to work in the UK
    WFH (Some departments only - depending on line manager approval)
    One IRESS is a nice approach. But still silos within the companies / offices

Cons

A distinct lack of understanding in what you do from EXCO.
    As an IT company they are still stuck in the 2000's.
    Operating a very poor back end core infrastructure in the UK with absolutely no direction or investment to resolving.
    this. CTO has just changed which may resolve some of the stale IT direction the company has taken.
    Management restructure is needed.
    No training given
    Steep learning curve due to the above.
    Long working hours required
    Job opportunities only arise when staff leave, very little career progression available

Advice to Management

Stop spending money on large scale conferences and look at hiring more staff that can support your back end systems. Very small teams working on large platform systems.

Nov 23, 2017 – CEO

I’m keen to hear the detail to the points you raise so please get in touch with me directly if you would like. I'd appreciate your views.

"All about their people and clients"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I have been working at IRESS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative environment,
    1) Focused on actually acting on feedback from their people.
    2) Still believe in providing the little things to their people that make their working environment a great place to be like popcorn, fresh fruit daily, Friday drinks.
    3) Promotes growth and development by providing opportunities for their internal people through bursaries, internal training and a whole intranet full of global collaboration and information.
    4) Very involved in innovation by actually hosting yearly hack-a-thons where ideas are brought to life and into actual production!
    5) Gives back to the community in a hands-on way where people get involved and the passion shows.
    6) Very passionate about what they do - You see people from different teams all jump in when there is an issue. It is rare to see people just help and trying to sort out the issue because they are focused on getting things done, sorting things out.

Cons

There will always be little cons, but the big thing is that the people and leadership at IRESS are always working on ideas about how to address issues.

Advice to Management

Never lose this unique environment - the people are actually happy here. Promote this environment, keep taking the people feedback to heart.

9. "Working for this company"

I have been working at IRESS full-time

Pros

Great Benefits and career prospects

Cons

Very corporate and sometimes get stuck in one area

10. "IRESS, Simply a great place to work"

Current Employee - Hosted OPS Engineer in Cheltenham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Hosted OPS Engineer in Cheltenham, England (UK)

I have been working at IRESS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I know some will say I am biased but having worked in the Civil Service for 30 years. I secured a job with IRESS this year and have not looked back. The company is a one of a few that actually cares about the welfare and wellbeing of its staff. The feeling of taking part and teamwork is terrific. The Line Managers are interested in their staff and that they have the tools and training to do the job.
    The offices are light, comfortable and a place where you can be left alone to do the job. I could go on but free coffee and fruit, great sense of belonging.
    Recommended Employer!!!!

Cons

I am sorry, I can't think of any!!!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!
    Gucci coffee machines in Cheltenham like Warwick :-)