IRS 817 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Koskinen

Pros
  • Work / life balance, flexible schedule (in 69 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, good benefits if perm then good chances for a long career (in 72 reviews)

Cons

"If you like dealing with the IRS, you'll love working there."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

In fairness, if you are looking for a secure job, it's the federal government and it isn't going anywhere. Also, it can be a power trip, and many of my colleagues seemed to relish the control we had over various small businesses and individuals. Finally, if you're trying to raise a family and just want a 40-hour job, doing the same thing day in and day out, but often enough flexibility to care for kids, etc---some people think the tradeoff is worth it.

Cons

There is no room at all for creativity or efficiency. Imagine how open the IRS is to new ideas when you're doing your taxes---they bring that same rigidity to all aspects of the job. Also, since nobody but nobody in the federal government is going to advocate for the IRS, they usually get the worst working conditions and facilities, compared to other agencies.

Advice to Management

It's a bit hard to offer good feedback to management, because the entire system is designed to hamper good leadership and management. Truly, most of the people working there would probably have been decent people in other situations, if not competent leaders, but it's a soul-sucking, spirit deadening place. Not all of that is management's fault; it's an agency in which punishing the employees is truly good politics. I'm so glad I left, and I thought management was very poor. But I don't think it's the fault of the people; it's the system.

"Contact Service Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Good Pay and Good Benefits

Cons

Only worked for one month. Successfully completed a six month training program for this position with Lions World Services for the Blind school in Little Rock, AR which is apart of the IRS. Which was a horrible experience. At the beginning of the program the school informed that the training material would copied on a disk for future reference. At the end of the program the school would not allow the material to be copied. Could not perform the detailed and complex job task without the training material. IRS also stated that training material is not allowed to perform job task. I do not know what the training procedure is for a person hired off the street, but I was informed that I was being treated the same as everyone else even though I was constantly referred to as a VI which means visually impaired.

Advice to Management

Egotistical and care only about themselves

"Just a job with lack of career progression for someone over qualified with good performance evaluations"

Current Employee - Tax Examiner in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay considering the opportunities that are not available in the private sector with the current state of the economy. Good benefits. If your in with the right clique, opportunities are limitless.

Cons

Lack of career development. After completing a BS and MS in accounting, I was still unable to get a better job (Revenue Agent). Currently working on a MS in Taxation, hopefully this helps. This organization is very keen on years worked and the use of performance evaluations in selecting individuals for jobs. If you challenge your evaluation, this will lead to a hostile working environment (be careful on challenging evaluations). Nepotism and cliques gain advancement opportunities as opposed to the best qualified job applicant. Motivation killer. Advice for future employees, fake it to you make it. I also would like to point out something fishy. If you look on USAJOBS, you will begin to notice that there are more jobs available for those in position of GS-9 to GS-15 while the position below GS-9 are not as many when compared. Hmmmmmm. We are in a current hiring freeze but yet the position available for GS-9 and up, exceed the number of positions for employees GS-7 and below. For the 2013 year, are bonuses are being cut. Two years ago, they eliminated are tuition reimbursement. In my opinion, I think the GS steps are next on the chopping block to reducing the so called imaginary federal budget that exist but yet the IRS collects the most revenue in the federal government. Many people within the job have a nasty attitute, who could blame them after the cons of the job.

Advice to Management

My chances are better at hitting the powerball jackpot then giving advice to management that may listen, so why waste my time.

5. "Unrealistic expectations"

Current Employee - Tax Examiner in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were pros to working for the federal government some time ago, but not anymore.

Cons

There are many cons to working for the federal government. The most scathing is their lack of regard for federal employment laws. It is illegal to be made to endure sexual harassment day in and day out, but that's exactly what happens. Also, there's been a pay & awards payment freeze due to the budget and sequester for the next three years.

Advice to Management

Follow federal employment laws that were put into place to protect your workforce. It is unacceptable to allow the behavior that is permitted in that place.

"Revenue Officer"

Former Employee - Revenue Officer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Revenue Officer in Tampa, FL

I worked at IRS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Field work and independent inventory management.

Cons

Case load inventory level is unrealistic. Management.

Advice to Management

Why bother, they wouldn't listen. If they did listen, they could not change the system it is ingrained into too many managers for any real change to take affect.

"Poor Managment and Leadership Skills"

Former Employee - Contact Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Contact Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at IRS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair pay, health benefits and retirement plan.

Cons

Incompetent management, low morale, unorganized-training, inconsistent in following policies and procedures, rivalry amongst management and employees. If you are a results-orientated individual and have the ability to bring in revenues this mangagent team will not acknowledge your efforts and will not be responsive, supportive and or cooperative in your growth and or development. Low security in building and critters due to food at cubicles.

Advice to Management

Priorities are an organizations obligations to its stakeholders in securing not only financial and physical assets but in valuing their intangible assets such as human capital. Follow your IRM, IRS Mission and work on developing your leadership and ethical skills to include the development of your human capital which is the future.

"May"

Pros

Benefits, Union, pay, nothing else really.

Cons

Probationary period, everything else really.

Advice to Management

There is a buddy system in management that needs to be removed. Blacklists exist and are prevalent here.

"The absolute worst employment in my life."

Former Employee - Clerk in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Clerk in Kansas City, MO

I worked at IRS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

a paycheck if you can work production.

Cons

If you are not friends with certain people you can not advance.
    They hired family members and extended family members and friends of family members in different departments so it does not matter where you work.
    Even if you are above fully successful, they will claim you are difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

Dump all the psychopathic, sociopathic, managers who have family and extended family and friends of family employed at same location.
    Dump all high management having a backing background because they are crooks using numbers to propel a failing economy.

"worst job on the planet"

Current Employee - Contact Representative in Holtsville, NY
    Current Employee - Contact Representative in Holtsville, NY

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits and time off. grade raises every year for first 3 years and then step increases after that. was nice when we had cost of living increases each year but the president took that away for the last 3 years. heard we may get it this year however but we will see.

Cons

managers think they own the place. some dont even let you talk to your co workers although they dont do anything but talk to each other.

Advice to Management

leave the employees alone. as long as the work gets done, who cares if we talk to each other about our weekend. you make the employees hate everything about the place.

11. "Where accountants go to die"

Former Employee - Revenue Agent in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Revenue Agent in New York, NY

I worked at IRS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

40 hour work week. Work is somewhat interesting. Part of a union. Very generous with giving public transportation vouchers. That's it

Cons

Pay is terrible. You have to be a drone to work there. Management is incompetent. Secretaries are rude and will not help you at all. Career killer because recruiters do not count IRS experience as real experience as compared to other accounting experience when considering you for another position. A waste of a place to work if you graduated from a good school- community college nose pickers work at the IRS. Office is a zoo. Co-workers will blast music from speakers without regard to other peoples' concentration.

Advice to Management

Fire all the managers. Promote people who have high degrees and aspirations, and not the butt kissers.