IRS Reviews | Glassdoor

IRS Reviews

Updated April 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Job security and work/life balance (in 70 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, good benefits if perm then good chances for a long career (in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • the seasonal can be unpredictable sometimes, and it can be hard to move to different departments (in 11 reviews)

• The budget cuts and the hiring freeze is burning out the people working (in 20 reviews)

1. "I R S"

Former Employee - Tax Examiner in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Examiner in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at IRS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally, it's a work environment where even your superiors treat you with respect.

Cons

Don't expect to innovate much, it's a very slow place in changing things even for the better.

Advice to Management

You ask your middle management to review the employee suggestions. It is your middle management who refuses to be efficient, that's why the employee suggestions come to you through those channels. Ask a 3rd party, it's not some quantum physics.

"Contact Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at IRS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good, schedule, holidays, no dress code

Cons

Call center environmento and very repetitive

3. "Seasonal Data Entry Clerk"

Former Employee - Clerical Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Clerical Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IRS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Provided training or instruction to other employees when necessary.

Cons

Lack in amending or rejecting reviewed work not meeting established standards.

Advice to Management

Need to identify, analyze, and develop recommendations for correction of problems which impact the efficiency of the work.

5. "Work Environment"

Current Employee - 1040x Agent in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - 1040x Agent in Austin, TX

I have been working at IRS (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people and trainers, good working environment.

Cons

Training was long but seemed insufficient for tasks asked

6. "Data Entry Clerk"

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Ogden, UT

Pros

Working independently, listening to music okay after you show you have a handle on your job and are accurate

Cons

Sterile atmosphere, monotonous work, long time sitting

Advice to Management

Make sure to let employees know when they're doing a good job.

"Contact Rep"

Current Employee - Contact Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Contact Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits that start immediately, decent pay. Monday- Friday is a plus, parking is good. Training length was good.....

Cons

Job listing said permanent, was informed after the fact that it was seasonal. Of course you hear the more that retire, the more permanent positions that will open. Unfortunately a hiring freeze put a stop to that. Managers that are more concerned with popularity. Lying is second nature.

Advice to Management

Having 12 weeks of training should be plenty, if you focus on what's job related. I don't know how many times we heard "don't worry about this lesson, you won't be doing it anyway". More hands on would be helpful. Anybody from trainers to management should be way more professional. It's like a constant race to see who can be the most rude. Communication would be great as well

8. "It's a good start"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IRS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and pay, especially for someone fresh out of high school or the military and has not discovered what career path they'd like to pursue.

Cons

Depending on what position you get and what facility, it can be stressful or mundane.
    Some people can be very toxic and make you not want to be there or not interact with them.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Great training. Flexible work schedules. Low stress.
    The IRS is a great job if you stay in a union position.

Cons

If I had more information about being a manager with the IRS, I would have chosen a different path. The raises for managers are based on ratings. Managers are not in the union, so we can't dispute a rating. If your rating is low, so is your raise. We also don't get cost-of-living raises like the employees. I find that very unfair. The agency is a dinosaur and pays well below the market for a tax professional. A less-experienced person may not have experienced a pay cut, but an experienced person is likely to have suffered a drastic pay cut.
    As a manager, I am currently boxed in to my position and it's very difficult to transition to something else. It's almost a dead-end job.
    I am bored most of the time which is probably a good speed for most of the employees here. Sometimes the work is exciting, so I'm not miserable, but I'm also not motivated to come to work in the morning.
    My outside knowledge of taxation is not valued.

Advice to Management

Senior management is not effective nor accountable for their actions.
    Start valuing outside experience.

"Lead Customer Service"

Former Employee - International Lead Customer Service Representative in Bromley, KY

I worked at IRS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is good and the benefits are excellent. They have probably the best insurance options any where and you can earn leave every two weeks.

Cons

Politics. Most of our instructions come from Congress from people who have never worked in that position. Makes it difficult sometimes to enforce.

Advice to Management

Listen more to what your employees have to offer.

"IRS Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

I can honestly say this was the best agency I've been employed by this far. I spent over 3 in a half years at the IRS beginning as a Clerk. I learned more than enough during that time to be promoted outside the agency. My last manager was awesome; allowed flexibility with telework options and cares about his employees unlike most.

Cons

I decided to leave because their was no potential for promotion during that time. There should be more funding for training to allow for career growth and salaries are far less than those in private sector.

Advice to Management

Be more concerned with employee's Career Learning/Development; Favortism towards friends to gain promotions than those who deserved promotions