IRS Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

IRS Washington Reviews

Updated April 12, 2017

Washington, DC

Pros
  • Job security and work/life balance (in 70 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, good benefits if perm then good chances for a long career (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • the seasonal can be unpredictable sometimes, and it can be hard to move to different departments (in 11 reviews)

• The budget cuts and the hiring freeze is burning out the people working (in 19 reviews)

1. "Public Affairs Specialist"

Former Employee - Public Affairs Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Public Affairs Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was able to work on a breadth of communication projects across many platforms. Over the years, I was fortunate to have a few managers that encourage my growth and development. In turn, I did the same.

Cons

As with big government, the biggest challenge is the red tap which delays getting things done quickly. Often behind the curve

Advice to Management

Continuously show your employees that you value them. Doesn't always have to be monetary.

Don't always staff your team with "Yes" people. Value diversity more, to include diversity of thought, experiences and education. Employee diversity also represents the diversity of the taxpaying population.

Organization could benefit from a major campaign to inform taxpayers what their dollars are being used for and WIIFM (what's in it for me). Might help more in voluntarily compliance and decrease anti-IRS sentiment.

"Contact Representative"

Former Employee - Contact Representative/Accounts Management/Examination Clerk in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of management are easy to get along with.

Cons

They eat all the time!

"Team Leader, APMA"

Former Employee - Team Leader, Advance Pricing and Mutual Agreement Program in Washington, DC

Pros

One can at least be aware of big transfer pricing projects, although generally people in the role are no longer offered any authority to participate in those projects except as scribes who draft letters to taxpayers and foreign governments.

Cons

Ever--decreasing resources combined with ever-increasing workload.
    Increasingly, managers are appointed based on longevity, not on technical or leadership skill.
    Terrible working facilities--cubicles, mice, armed guards, failing equipment, failing infrastructure.
    Decreasing responsibility in the role.
    Subordination to administrative staff who are generally illiterate.

Advice to Management

Management does not realize that there is not a single person filling the position of team leader in IRS APMA who would stay in APMA if given the choice.

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Tax Attorney in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Tax Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, good benefits, and interesting work. The work life balance is good as well and they really respect your personal time.

Cons

Bad public perception. Below market salary. People judge us quickly based on a caricature of a few bad apples in the press, which sucks.

Advice to Management

My direct chain of command is great. They expect a lot from us, but they are engaged, show appreciation for good work, and treat employees with respect and courtesy.

"Hostile"

Former Employee - Tax Examiner Clerk in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Tax Examiner Clerk in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours, fun, walking track, security, parking

Cons

Very hostile environment, managers target's you, bullying, no growth, discrimination

Advice to Management

Need more training on being nice

7. "Good opportunity for students"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are proud of what they do and encourage you to do your best.

Cons

It's government, a lot of bureaucracy.

"Working for the government"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You don't have to worry much about job security--there will always be an IRS, and, it is very unlikely that you get fired.

Cons

The amount bureaucracy is amazing. To get anything done requires so much time and so many people to approve it. And if it is computer related, it also often involves incompetent technical support people, who give wildly different answers to the same questions. The reason - see my "pro"--incompetent is not a fireable offense at the IRS.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Economist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Economist in Washington, DC

Pros

I was in the Advance Pricing Agreements program formerly run by IRS Counsel's office but now under the Commissioner of Revenue. There was a great professionalism and collegiality at the work place and we had a good bit of professional independence in handling our cases. I learned a lot during the first five years and enjoyed my work very much.

Cons

As the program expanded, the level of bureaucracy increased and moves towards standardization of our work product took away from the satisfaction one derived from work. This got worse (more bureaucratic) when the program was moved under the Commissioner of Revenue and from what I hear, the level of morale is pretty low.

Advice to Management

I would go back to small, more autonomous teams composed of professionals with transfer pricing experience and reduce the levels of management and reporting. International businesses are all complex and unique and a formula based approach does not work.

10. "Great People"

Former Intern - Legal Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Legal Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at IRS as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Chief Counsel is staffed by some of the smartest tax attorneys in America, and they are very knowledgeable about almost every conceivable tax issue that might arise. Great learning environment.

Cons

Low staff morale, enormous backlog, and very few new hiring happening. Congress may cut the IRS budget again.

Advice to Management

Congress need fund its revenue center and cut costs where it counts: in the entitlements. There is nothing worse for employee morale than being berated for just doing a good job.

"Overall a decent place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is excellent
    Lots of internal job postings
    Transit subsidy provided
    Telework policy is up to 80%
    On-site gyms in both locations are nice

Cons

No real training opportunities available, in-house ones are wholly insufficient
    Bad management just gets shuffled around
    IT positions are non-bargaining unit
    Lots of office politics
    Promotions aren't always based on merits
    Job announcements get cancelled/reannounced if the person they want does not make the cut

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and stop acting as though simply being in a management role commands someone's respect, especially if you're not knowledgeable in the subject matter of the team you're over (yes, that happens here). A good leader pulls their fair share of the workload and doesn't simply bark orders. If your employees respect you - even if they don't necessarily LIKE you - they'll go the extra mile for you.