ISM SPA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ilana Craig Alberico

Pros
  • ISM tries to create a family like work environment (in 6 reviews)

• If you work here you can work at any 5 star spa in the world (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Trained to provide 5 star service but there are barely any guest to work on (in 6 reviews)

• They are put you on call even though you are full time employee (in 5 reviews)

1. "3 Years and Counting"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Asheville, NC

Pros

There is a supportive and strong team environment. There is Paid Time Off and 401K matching. There are yearly reviews designed to help management communicate to the employee where they can improve and where they are excelling. There is a genuine desire at all levels to see others succeed, so there aren't any petty office politics. I enjoy coming to work everyday and this is the only job where I've felt that way.

Cons

None as an entry level corporate office employee.

Advice to Management

Keep the Four Agreements close to heart and good things will continue to fall into place!

"Clearly not 5 Star"

Former Employee - SPA Concierge in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - SPA Concierge in Orlando, FL

I worked at ISM SPA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ISM tries to create a family like work environment. Orientation "Culture Day" is informative.

Cons

Therapists are on-call and capped with the amount of hours they can work, which makes it impossible to qualify for health benefits. Employees are required to relocate to "sister" spas. Therapists and Concierges are micromanaged. Too many employees are friends or relatives of management, which creates unfair work practices.

Advice to Management

Please go back to ISM's original standards. The changes made to save the company money are at the expense of your therapists. Please give therapists the opportunity to qualify for health benefits. Please do not allow spa directors to hire friends and family.

ISM SPA Response

Jun 7, 2017 – Owner, C.E.O.

Thank you for your feedback. It is not a practice that we do or would have in place to cap hours to hinder those who want full time hours and benefits. I highly encourage you to reach out to your Spa ... More

"Massage Therapist"

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at ISM SPA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, Proffesional atmosphere. Continuing education assistance.

Cons

Not enough pay, No cash tips as "gratuity" is included in "service charge" which still doesnt round up to what most places pay for just commision. Managemnt is pushy, as far as trying to force employees to work on times off, or travel to sister spas.

May 6, 2016 – Owner, C.E.O.

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve.

"Nahhh..."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at ISM SPA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok Company for spa begginers. They used to have very strong training and culture , but is all gone now.

Cons

Low pay. Consistently changing of mind. And desperate to make money at the expense of hard working employees. Not many, including a few in the so called "executive team" know the spa business in today's reality. Lots of power trips back and forward. There is no such a thing as "genuine". They'll idolize you today, when they need you; then you are no longer good the next day. A continue roller coaster. Not worth it.

Advice to Management

Go back to who you were. That was the only thing that made you diferent. The new additions are not positive and if you are desperate for money, then look at your numbers ... they are only going down with the recent changes!

May 6, 2016 – Owner, C.E.O.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns.

"Innovative- with new ideas"

Current Employee - LMT in Asheville, NC

I have been working at ISM SPA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed my time with this company and am looking forward to the opportunities and memories to come. Management takes an active role in our individual spa development alongside working with other properties throughout the larger south east region. We focus on teamwork and everyone helps out to cover shifts so that staff can take extended time off when needed. I think my favorite part about coming back to work is that I am typically surrounded by happy coworkers staying busy making guests even happier! A lot of us have really grown into a family. It's pretty special.

Cons

Sometimes, it's easy to get over worked but exercising the power to say "no" is always encouraged and management will step in and "fill the holes" when you need to exercise that work/life balance. ISM is a growing company and the benefits just keep coming.... insurance, 401K, service trades and birthday treatments are just the beginning. Their innovative strategies can have a learning curve but in time, we all settle into the change of the growing company.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to individual teams and helping us reach our potential.

May 6, 2016 – Owner, C.E.O.

Thank you for your feedback! I am so happy to hear of the wonderful environment you and your co-workers have created for each other and your guests.​ We really appreciate you.

6. "Mt"

Current Employee - LMT in Asheville, NC

I have been working at ISM SPA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I felt the need to defend ISM a bit. I have worked at other high rated destination spas in the US. This has been the best fit for me by a landslide. My management has always taken my strong family values in stride, and been supportive when needed. In return, I give them a responsible, reliable, employee. I feel I have a good life/work balance here. I am only required to massage for 5hrs per day which is perfect for career longevity! However, The opportunity for more hours is there if you want. They provide different spa atmospheres for different clientel and employees. I feel the Asheville region has a fit for almost anyone in the field. The opportunity to find your personal best fit is definitely available. I have more respect for my director and regional director after seeing them work beside us, in the treatment rooms, to give my spa the most efficient, profitable, Valentine's day ever. I can only speak for my spa and region. I feel Florida may be very different. In my time here they have begun healthcare, and 401k benefits. I believe there is a possibility for PTO for full timers in the future. Fingers crossed friends!

Cons

Always trying to improve, sometimes even when it's not necessary. If it ain't broke.....
    I'm not a huge fan of the region mentality. I prefer to mostly work in one location. It makes it easier to work with the same team. Easier to learn how we work well, or don't.easier to establish a relationship with management. As i said, Asheville has something for almost any personality. Helping out is one thing, but I hope to never be required to bounce around all 4 locations on a regular basis. I think teams work better when they get regular practices together.

Advice to Management

Keep on being humble enough, and assertive enough to recognize when something isn't working. Keep on implementing benefits. Don't get so far removed from the treatment rooms and desks that you forget what it is like for us trying to adhere to the protocols.

May 6, 2016 – Owner, C.E.O.

Thank you for your feedback. It is wonderful that you have been able to find a work/life balance, as it is important to all of us. We hope you continue to find this balance and that you feel ... More

"Dont walk away , RUN !!!!!"

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Orlando, FL

I worked at ISM SPA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You stay busy and SOME of the team members are genuine.

Cons

Poor Management. Poor Pay. No PTO, No Sick Pay , Poor Health Benefits. They owners of the company dont even run there company anymore , they hired some wise guy who thinks he knows it all but he is firing and forcing all of the quality employees to leave. They dont mean what they say and they dont live by there value statement. They water down product because they are to broke to order more. There management is management at all, all they are is report pushers they just run reports all day and have no clue on how to handle challenges that arise in the work place.Everyone that works there are consistently talking about how much they hate it and I dont blame them.This company is like a boat with a small hole, its slowly taking on water and is very close to sinking. Its better to work for a hand and stone.

Advice to Management

The only way you will advance to anything is if you Yes-Man them , meaning say yes to everything and dont give your opinion or feed back and his there butts like nobodies business.

"Great Company with a lot of Growth Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I have been working at ISM SPA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ISM focuses on promoting from within. They are a growing company that takes the time to train and grow their work force. Their employee benefit offerings have grown with the company. They are dedicated to treating their employees and their guests well. I have been very happy in my employment with ISM.

Cons

If you're willing to work hard and prove yourself, a long-lasting career is possible with the company. Definitely not a workplace for slackers or those not willing to embrace the company's culture of 5-star guest standards.

Advice to Management

Continue to value the employees as ISM continues its growth momentum. Success depends on the happiness of each associate working in the spas.

"Spa Concierge"

Former Employee - SPA Concierge in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - SPA Concierge in Asheville, NC

I worked at ISM SPA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful environment to work in

Cons

Management-treats employees like children, becoming too corporate-does NOT value their employees!

10. "A great learning experience in the spa field."

Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Asheville, NC

I worked at ISM SPA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ism provides extensive treatment protocols for congruence between properties with 5 star standards along with allowance for flexibility to incorporate the therapists own style. wonderful ambiance with high end and updated treatment rooms. opportunities to be borrowed by other properties to keep things exciting

Cons

most treatments are packed into the weekend. on call all week with no pay and few appointments.. at the beckon call with only 75 minute notice allotted. confusing language from corporate. corporate encouraging us to market ourselves but not investing in marketing us. when it rained, it poured

Advice to Management

invest in your employees, please dont expect them to do their own marketing! encourage guests to take weekday appointments even if at a discount. pay your employees something to be on call and allow for free trades amongst the staff. these things would help to boost morale and the feeling of family and security.