IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING President and Principal Garrett Graney
Garrett Graney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"More than meets the eye!"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Fort Washington, PA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Fort Washington, PA

I have been working at IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IT Solutions was named a “Best Place To Work” again in 2018, and it *absolutely* lives up to the hype of the award.

I come from a diverse background and have worked for multiple types of companies, some good, some bad, some abysmal.

IT Solutions captures the essence of everything good about a company and improves upon it. It is a great place to work!

Don’t let the few “sour grapes” reviews here dissuade you from making an excellent career choice.

Will you be expected to work hard and devote yourself to improving the company? Yes.

Will you be expected to grow and become a better asset ? Yes.

Will you be rewarded and recognized when you do those things or do a good job? ABSOLUTELY.

If you are looking for a company to call home, and if you are a motivated team player willing to be the best you can be, then look no further. You will be happy at IT Solutions.

Cons

I honestly can’t list any.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Great place where you can grow and make a difference"

I have been working at IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING full-time

Pros

Because ITS is a 100% employee-owned business there is a culture of having each other's back on issues and working towards results, with minimal politics. There is a lot of opportunity to find a better way to do something and make it happen, which is really gratifying. The employees are smart and capable, and all that helps accelerate your proficiency in your chosen field. Most really care about your success.

Cons

The work is fast-paced and can be demanding. Although that's pretty common in technology fields, we should stop more often to acknowledge our accomplishments before diving into the next thing.

Advice to Management

Don't lose track of the day-to-day experience of employees as the business continues to grow larger.

"Business Review"

Former Employee - Escalation Engineer in Fort Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Escalation Engineer in Fort Washington, PA

I worked at IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quarterly Meetings are nice to a certain extent - but they are a waste of time. They should just run this for each Department: 1 hour Maximum - and keep it moving. Most of the stuff is unnecessary conversation, with a few people that interrupt the speaker, to act like they are engaged but in reality, they already know the answer to their own bogus question that is asked of the speaker. It is honestly not on us if we have some attrition, and if a certain Department brings in new business, that is great, but we already get the company email if we earn new business, so its pointless to bring it up in the Quarterly Meeting. The ESOP conversation is also a waste of time, we get a certificate each year, we understand it, and can Google it, it we want to learn more. Yes, being an ESOP is great, but come on, what would be better is a much higher salary increase per year that we work for the company for each person that works here, that have earned it.

Cons

There is an overwhelming amount of work per employee. Too Many clients and not enough employees to cover them that are actually good at closing tickets. Unattractive salary for great experienced people is the cause of this. Ticket count is always high, we should blitz everyday - but we are unable to handle it due to extremely poor quality of hires in the last couple of Quarters and a number of excellent employees have left the company to work somewhere else, which is good for them, but we are unable to match the skill set of the people that left, and may never be able to. The finger points straight to the Decision Makers here of this process. Step it up here!

Advice to Management

Saving money for poor quality of hires is not the answer; Open the wallet, pay candidates for what they are worth if they are solid enough to work here. We do not have the time to train people from the ground up. We need real quality of hires to be able to handle the work, not people that are unable to do the work to save money on starting salaries.

IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING Response

May 9, 2018 – Principal

AT IT Solutions we strive to keep our employees informed concerning the “state of the business” on a regular basis because we believe an informed staff is an empowered staff. One of the tools we’ve... More

"Great co-workers, employee-owned"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Washington, PA

I have been working at IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked here for 17 years in a number of roles. I started as a software developer and worked my way up to managing the software development team. I am a supervisor here so you could call this review slanted if you were a cynic but if you have an open mind, you might see that I was able to realize my ambitions here from an entry-level role all the way up to a department manager. This place is full of opportunity and avenues for advancement and quickly recognizes success and capability.

I started here in 2000 as a developer and was given the opportunity to learn a number of new technologies and to excel with guidance and support. I struggled at times but was mentored and guided along and eventually I broke out and began taking on a leadership role. The role that developed organically was eventually converted into a promotion and then into another one.

My success here can be traced back to the coaching and mentoring I received, the patient support and the focused execution of the management team which I try to emulate every day.

I will never work anywhere else and I try to provide the same guidance and support that I received early on in my role as a manager.

Cons

To be perfectly honest (and a little petty), it's in the Fort Washington office park so lunch options are really limited. There are about 5 restaurants you can rely on, the rest are hit or miss. I like food so it's challenging.

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate on both sides of the business - managed services and app dev.

"Talented Team, Entrepreneurial Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Washington, PA

I have been working at IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart, dedicated staff who support each other and the clients better than anywhere else I've seen. Entrepreneurial atmosphere where changes and improvements happen quickly because the business is always looking to move forward for the benefit of the team. Business has grown steadily and substantially over the years primarily through referrals from satisfied clients -- a testament to the people and processes that the company has put so much time and effort into developing. Great benefits and staff recognition programs for a company of its size. The Employee Stock Ownership Plan and MVP program are standouts for me.

Cons

Maybe not as many perks as larger companies, but the opportunities to learn and develop skills, plus the opportunities to be a contributor to the ongoing success of the business, are more rewarding than a company cafeteria.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating for both staff development and growth of the business.

"Best of the best!"

I have been working at IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

By far the strongest managed service team I've ever been part of. Engineers are selected for BOTH their client service skills and their technical know-how.

Cons

While growing, ITS is still a small business, and the health benefit options for small businesses are tough. They make the best choices possible from a bunch of bad choices for the benefits they can offer... so while it's no fault of the company itself, the health benefits have suffered in recent years.

"Great Experience"

I have been working at IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING full-time

Pros

ITS offers great experience at a fair salary. I strongly recommend it to folks who are looking to develop their skills. They take great interest in developing talent. The engineers are very patient and always willing to help if you get stuck.

Cons

This environment is very fast paced. I personally consider this a pro, but many people may not be able to handle the pressure.

Advice to Management

Build an HR department that focuses on proactive personal development and community development.

"Honest review"

I worked at IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING full-time

Pros

ITS is full of talented, personable, incredibly intelligent employees. There's also free coffee and pretzels. Those are pretty much the only pros to working at this company.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin. If you want to work for a company that values quantity over quality, then this is the place for you. If you want clients and money to be put before every lower-rung employee, then apply now. If you want to be overworked, wildly underpaid, and frequently yelled at by your manager, this'll be a perfect fit! Get ready to be screamed at by clients and then get told by upper management that "they pay us a lot", so you have to deal with it. Be prepared to take call after call (this is really just a glorified call center, let's be real) with virtually no time to breathe. Are you overweight and/or a woman? Awesome! I can think of a manager who will berate you endlessly--both to your face and behind your back (oh, c'mon, he's only kidding!!!). I worked at ITS for far too long, mainly because my coworkers were terrific, but after awhile, it just wasn't worth it. If the number of open tickets is too high, it's your fault, if an unreasonable client is upset, it's your fault, if you make a mistake because you're consistently being rushed in order to avoid being publicly humiliated because you didn't close enough tickets that day, it's your fault, if the entire company is understaffed, but just keeps taking on more clients because all they care about is money, then somehow that's your fault too because you don't know how to prioritize or work efficiently. The office is nice, the free* lunch (*only if you work through lunch) is a great perk, the "employee-owned" aspect is cool I suppose, the holiday party is mind blowing, but those are just illusions. The day to day grind is ridiculous and unrealistic. You'll be expected to work nonstop and even extra when the open ticket count is too high. Anyone sane who is not a "teacher's pet" will not last. They'll sink their claws into you, they really will. They'll be charming and make everything seem great. But take it from someone who's been there and who will never go back. It is not worth it. Keep in mind that the Best Places to Work awards were the result of multiple emails sent to the whole company for about a week straight, begging for good ratings. And all these beautiful, raving Glassdoor reviews were coerced out of a lot of employees or they're from the AppDev Department, which has a completely different experience than the Managed Services Department. If you somehow, unfortunately end up working for ITS, good luck.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Get rid of aggressive, egotistical managers who, at this point, are just liabilities (this would make a WORLD of difference). Stop taking on 20 new clients for every 1 new employee, especially when you gloat over how much money the company has made at every quarterly meeting. Start valuing quality over quantity. Hold people accountable for their negative actions and get a real HR department (see: liabilities). FYI: when that 1-star review got published on Glassdoor, the entire Managed Services Department whispered amongst themselves and lauded the writer because no one else had the courage to say that they completely agreed with what was written. It wasn't just a bitter review from someone who got fired. That was 100% honest and hit the nail on the head.

IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING Response

Apr 13, 2017 – CEO

First of all, thank you for your feedback. Second, we apologize that your experience at IT Solutions was not what you were hoping for. We take criticism seriously and we use everything we hear on... More

"Marketing and Sales Department"

I worked at IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING full-time

Pros

Smart and friendly employees. The management was young but very passionate and CEO had great vision.

Cons

It is an IT company so most people are who work there are information technology guys. The sales and marketing department is small but is lead by smart individuals

"I enjoy my time here"

I have been working at IT SOLUTIONS CONSULTING full-time

Pros

There is a good team atmosphere and even when I'm working on my own I know a coworker is always ready to jump in and assist if I need it. Management is pretty transparent about the decisions made for the business and they seem to take the whole 'employee owned' thing pretty seriously. If I deviate from what I'm supposed to do I'm reminded to get back on track but otherwise I feel like despite the team structure I am allowed some freedom in my day.

Cons

It's a high paced environment and there are a lot of moving parts. If one of those moving parts slows down or derails it can impact everyone but that is the nature of the business.