ITHAKA Reviews | Glassdoor

ITHAKA Reviews

Found 37 reviews

3.8
  1. Featured Review

"Best Place to Work - Growth + Flexibility"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at ITHAKA part-time for more than 20 years

Pros

ITHAKA rewards talented people, helping them grow whether inside the organization or beyond if that's the right career move. I've had great learning and growth opportunities, taking on a range of roles - full-time and part-time - in my years here. Leadership is very supportive of life changes (children, aging parents, etc.) and flexible.

Cons

I have zero cons about the work environment and culture. The organization is committed to learning, encourages feedback from it's employees, and makes changes. It just keeps getting better.

ITHAKA2018-08-15

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Publisher Support Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at ITHAKA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The great thing about working at ITHAKA is that you really feel like everyone is a part of the company's mission. Everyone can contribute with their own ideas which are then discussed amongst staff and relayed to the board. Conversely, the president also makes sure to communicate any board meetings with all employees. The work atmosphere is great. You really get the feeling that everyone is happy to come to work....

Cons

Cannot think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep being so transparent with staff and giving them all the support that they need.

ITHAKA2018-10-29

"Good benefits don't outweigh poor morale and suffocating hierarchies"

I have been working at ITHAKA full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

The benefits are great, to the point of possibly being too good - with 12% employer retirement contribution, 20 days of vacation, and solid insurance, it's irrational to leave, even if you find that the organization is not a good fit. There are a lot of talented people at ITHAKA who not only want to better the organization, but truly want to put their all into the organizational mission of broadening access to academic...

Cons

There's a wide difference in culture between the Ann Arbor and New York offices. Ann Arbor is a much more enthusiastic and supporting culture, aided by a flatter and more casual hierarchy. New York is very hierarchical, with heavily siloed departments and a lack of lateral or upward mobility. Starting pay in many departments is just barely livable in New York City, and it doesn't get much better - very good performance...

Advice to Management

Develop and compensate your people. You do a good job of hiring talented, motivated people, and leaving them to stagnate as the organization lurches from one annual rethink to another. The 9am-6pm New York hours are performative rather than productive. They do not align with peer organizations, or with the 8.30am-5pm Ann Arbor office that many of our workflows are dependent on.

ITHAKA2019-03-04
  4. "Best place I've ever worked except my own company"

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at ITHAKA full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great management team, progressive and inclusive environment, goal focused without being high pressure

Cons

Not be best pay in town

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

ITHAKA2018-04-17
  5. "Director Customer Experience"

Current Employee - Director, Customer Experience in New York, NY

I have been working at ITHAKA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Inspiring organizational mission Work with some great people Choice of two medical plans, one at no cost to the employee Employer paid dental, vision, life insurance, and employee assistance programs Employer contributed retirement and much, much more

Cons

I'm new to ITHAKA but have been watching the organization progress for years. This is one of the leading brands in the industry. I haven't found any downside yet.

Advice to Management

The management team has built an incredible organization--and there's many more opportunities being uncovered through empirical and anecdotal evidence.

ITHAKA2018-03-14
  6. "Growing organization, with good people at the top"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ITHAKA full-time

Pros

I worked for JSTOR, a division of ITHAKA that has wonderful leadership at the very top, as well as a truly collaborative and supportive environment on the editorial side. There are many new and exciting things going on at JSTOR, and very smart people doing good work.

Cons

1. Sometimes it seems like the organization wants to take bold steps to change, but simultaneously feels bound to the way it currently operates. 2. Depending on where you fall in the structure, there may not be many opportunities for growth beyond mid level.

ITHAKA2018-01-25

"Website Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Website Support Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at ITHAKA full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

My team was comprised of AWESOME people who I loved working with and learned a lot from-- very smart, real, and passionate.

Cons

It's an older, established nonprofit that is averse to innovation and doesn't like change. Getting "new" things done was sometimes a struggle.

Advice to Management

My managers were great, but to company-wide leadership I say: Trust your people-- they're smart, and you hired them for a reason! No micromanaging.

ITHAKA2017-12-01

"Not a place for a career but okay first job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ITHAKA full-time

Pros

Friendly people who mean well, good work-life balance, lots of vacation days, good health benefits, you probably won't hate the place

Cons

Low pay, lack of upward mobility, high turnover, poor morale, not very mission focused for a nonprofit, you probably won't love the place

Advice to Management

Make an effort to retain good talent. Don't make your employees beg for every raise. Make newer employees feel like they have a future at ITHAKA.

ITHAKA2017-10-05

"Divergent visions @ ITHAKA"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in New York, NY

I worked at ITHAKA full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits package, talented co-workers working hard to solve IT problems, and great IT and HR support.

Cons

Disparate product visions and goals. While Ithaka has implemented Agile methodology for software development they've taken the ceremonies too literally; days are filled with mostly useless status meetings and it's hard not to feel micro-managed by management.

ITHAKA2017-09-17
  10. "Good Company but Sometimes Misses the Mark"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ITHAKA full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Ithaka provides great benefits to its employees.

Cons

Very few opportunities for upward mobility. There are multiple departments that are each managed differently so some departments may have more opportunities than others.

ITHAKA2017-05-17