ITO EN (North America) Reviews | Glassdoor

Yosuke Honjo

1. "matcha LOVE"

Current Employee - Store Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at ITO EN (North America) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They care about their employees.

Cons

It's really hard to talk to anyone important.

2. "Sales Planning Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Planning Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Planning Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at ITO EN (North America) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for Ito En can be an amazing and exciting career move. You will be working in an extremely international environment – our products are produced and imported from several Asian countries and a large portion of our employees and vendors are from Asia. Asian business is expanding rapidly not only in Asia but also here in America, and working for Ito En gives you invaluable experience learning about and doing business with people and companies of different cultures. Furthermore, Ito En puts a large amount of trust and independence in their employees, giving them the opportunity to expand the realm of their individual positions, contributing their all to the company while learning and bettering their resume infinitely.

Cons

Work never ends. You have to be good at multitasking and time management. You need to travel a lot for some of the positions.

"Assistant Manager"

Pros

They have benefits for all employees. Get to work in a great neighborhood. Discounted tea as employees only pay $1 per bottle.

Cons

If there was a top ten list out there for the most terrible places to work then this place most certainly will be on that list. It's more like a jail. Get up from your seat any time of the day and it will be noticed.

Advice to Management

Please keep promises you make to employees. You are all talk and no action. There is a reason why everyone here quits and the reason is you.

Jul 26, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Glad to hear that you enjoy our extensive benefits and office location in the Dumbo neighborhood of Brooklyn. I am disappointed that you don't enjoy working here. Regarding your "advice to ... More

"Career Killer"

Pros

Company makes good and healthy product that consumers love. Office is located in a central area and is easily accessible by trains.

Cons

If you are a male chauvinist, you will definitely reach far in this company. However, If you are a motivated individual that works well in a team environment, that loves development and want to build on your skills, please don't apply! This company has the highest rate of staff turnover I've every seen.

Advice to Management

You will never change, SO STOP saying that you're trying to change things and that you're listening to the employees!

Jul 26, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Glad to read that you agree that we make good and healthy products that consumers love. And, yes, our office is in a great neighborhood of Brooklyn with easy transportation. Your comments about ... More

"Happily Employed in Sales"

I have been working at ITO EN (North America) (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Strong opportunities for advancement based on proven performance.
    - Honest and friendly co-workers with integrity, great work ethic, and dedication to teamwork.
    - Premium and trending products to feel good about selling and making people healthier.
    - Freedom to make decisions and work independently...self-autonomy to get the job done.
    - Very loyal employer toward employee retention and strong foundation of job security/stability.
    - Good insurance benefits and 401K plan.

Cons

- Must have patience to work here and willingness to roll with unique hybrid of Japanese and American company culture. Not for everyone and some personalities won't fit.
    - Office environment is quite sterile with an old-school, cubicle environment.
    - Conservative nature of company can stifle growth evolution and limit ability to be nimble.

Advice to Management

- Improve corporate culture and office environment to fit with modern employee standards by adding perks and benefits (casual dress policy, office artwork & furniture, flex time, gym fitness benefit, employee mixers, off-site retreats).

- Start bench marking the work culture against other employers to be more current and relevant, especially for young employees.

- Innovate with greater speed and efficiency.

"Terrible place to work"

I worked at ITO EN (North America) full-time

Pros

Transit, 401K, health insurance was pretty decent compared to some others, the Brooklyn bridge is right there, the view of Manhattan

Cons

EXTREMELY low pay so this negates the pros, rewards employees who work long hours instead of what they accomplish, HR is corrupt and will be the ones causing problems for you. The people who stick around are those that really NEED a job (sponsorship, lack of English, been laid off recently, etc). My career expectations were never acknowledged and I was stuck doing the work no one wanted for several years until I had the "experience" (aka years to put in my resume) to leave. My career has proliferated ever since I left this company. You can do better.

May 11, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thanks for recognizing the great benefits that the company provides! We are constantly working to make our wages competitive in the marketplace. And, I believe that our wages and benefits package ... More

"Full Time"

Current Employee - Staff in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Staff in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at ITO EN (North America) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Great benefits. Matched 401K.

Cons

Quite unprofessional HR but we all get used to it. You don't get paid during your maternity leave.

Advice to Management

HR needs a lot of improvement.

May 11, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thanks for your comments about working at ITO EN (North America) INC. Glad to hear that you enjoy working for the company and our great benefits! Regarding HR, it is always a challenging to be ... More

"Unbelievably terrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Great product, buuuut that's about it. I think that made my experience even more disappointing because there is room for potential with the products they are producing, but they keep losing employees because they hate working here.

Cons

Oh dear, where to start? I think the largest issue that REALLY needs to be addressed is how this company treats its employees. They'll smile to your face, but treat you like trash and put unreasonable expectations on you based on unrealistic goals. I saw my manger spend all his time and took away for this company only for him to be metaphorically slapped down into the dirt. I saw him work overtime without the overtime pay and volunteer his time for this company all for naught. It was hard to see him endure the treatment upper management have him.

For even the most basic associates even, we were constantly looked down upon just because of our position and our concerns were uncared for. All of them. Even if it was for the benefit of the store. A couple of times, our store ran out of MATCHA, the very thing that was demanded for. The disorganization of this place was infiltrating, I often felt like we were left out on our own, forgotten about.

I felt at times it was like they wanted their employees to suffer. If you were happy, you weren't working hard enough. How does that work? We got told a couple of times to our face that we were TOO happy. What the hell?! And we weren't loud or obnoxious, they were really genuinely concerned with the fact that we were enjoying ourselves too much with smiling or whatever.

And again, unrealistic expectations were placed on everybody, and we were yelled at when we didn't meet their impossible (literally, not remotely attainable) goals.

Don't bother working hard for these guys if you expect to be rewarded at all. They don't care. All they care about it profit.

Advice to Management

Treat people like humans, not like slaves. Seriously, the way I saw employees being treated by upper management was disgusting to say the least.

May 11, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Glad to hear that you recognize Ito En (North America) has great products. Unfortunately, there is a worldwide shortage of high quality matcha from Japan. We certainly don't ever want to be out of ... More

"ITO EN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at ITO EN (North America) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Managers are friendly and fair.

Cons

Not the highest pay out there.

Advice to Management

Better pay is needed.

May 11, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thanks for your positive comments about Ito En. We pride ourselves on having great products and a great team! Thanks for your advice regarding better pay. We are constantly working to make sure ... More

"Sad truths"

Pros

Friendly to your face, salaried pay for sales

Cons

Though it would never be said aloud, there is an obvious favor towards the Japanese employees. Hr doesn't really have your back and don't expect a raise above an already low salary.

Advice to Management

Listen to suggestions of employees. Just because they aren't Japanese or didn't come from the Japan branch doesn't mean they don't have good ideas. They never made a change unless the idea came from an all Japanese manager staff

Sep 4, 2015 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your feedback and review. We are constantly reviewing our compensation programs for all employees and strive to have competitive salaries and benefits. In addition, we recently ... More