ITO EN (North America) Reviews | Glassdoor

ITO EN (North America) Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2019

2.3
ITO EN (North America) CEO Yosuke Honjo  (no image)
Yosuke Honjo
  1. "Sales Planning Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Planning Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at ITO EN (North America) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working for Ito En can be an amazing and exciting career move. You will be working in an extremely international environment – our products are produced and imported from several Asian countries and a large portion of our employees and vendors are from Asia. Asian business is expanding rapidly not only in Asia but also here in America, and working for Ito En gives you invaluable experience learning about and doing... business with people and companies of different cultures. Furthermore, Ito En puts a large amount of trust and independence in their employees, giving them the opportunity to expand the realm of their individual positions, contributing their all to the company while learning and bettering their resume infinitely.

Cons

Work never ends. You have to be good at multitasking and time management. You need to travel a lot for some of the positions.

ITO EN (North America)2016-07-26
  2. "It’s OKAY"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at ITO EN (North America) full-time

Pros

Benefits are great. People are nice. Family Atmosphere. Nice award program for every employee. Business is growing and paying attention to sustainability.

Cons

Depends on what you are looking for you will enjoy laid back atmosphere. Limited resources. Millions to get done if you choose to. If you decide to just close your eyes and ignore, they are okay with that too.

Advice to Management

Managers and above should be appraised by their staff to hear true voice.

ITO EN (North America)2019-06-11
  3. "Not bad for a part time job"

Former Employee - Barista in Edgewater, NJ

I worked at ITO EN (North America) part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at one of their branches called matcha love in NJ as a barista. Enjoyed the people working there. Although it was tiring since it was always pretty busy, I still enjoyed working there a lot.

Cons

The pay was rather little consider how much we had to do.

ITO EN (North America)2019-05-31

"For those who can't find a job elsewhere"

I worked at ITO EN (North America) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paid transit (at least when I was there) in 2013.

Cons

Catty coworkers, disgusting old building, location is in Brooklyn, product is really made in Thailand and NOT Japan. If you check your flimsy plastic bottles, it will say made from Thailand along with the product inside. The false advertising itself made me want to quit a long time ago. I wasted my years doing clerical work with a job title that made me feel like a scam. My yearly pay was lower than some of the... people working in customer service. Mind you, I went to college and completed some masters courses. Took me several job hops to finally be compensated for my market value. Can't wait until I leave this company out of my resume. Management here will only promote those who are Japanese or sacrifice 12 hour slave shifts. For years, I have done absolutely nothing for my career. The pay increase was a joke.

Advice to Management

Stay in Japan, there are lots of better tea brands.

ITO EN (North America)2017-09-27
  5. "matcha LOVE"

Current Employee - Store Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at ITO EN (North America) part-time for more than a year

Pros

They care about their employees.

Cons

It's really hard to talk to anyone important.

ITO EN (North America)2017-01-24

"Assistant Manager"

I have been working at ITO EN (North America)

Pros

They have benefits for all employees. Get to work in a great neighborhood. Discounted tea as employees only pay $1 per bottle.

Cons

If there was a top ten list out there for the most terrible places to work then this place most certainly will be on that list. It's more like a jail. Get up from your seat any time of the day and it will be noticed.

Advice to Management

Please keep promises you make to employees. You are all talk and no action. There is a reason why everyone here quits and the reason is you.

ITO EN (North America)2016-07-20

July 26, 2016Chief Operating Officer

Glad to hear that you enjoy our extensive benefits and office location in the Dumbo neighborhood of Brooklyn. I am disappointed that you don't enjoy working here. Regarding your "advice to management", I would welcome any additional information on how we are not meeting your expectations. This can be accomplished via our open door policy or employee suggestion box if you want to remain anonymous. I would welcome additional conversation to understand your comments. Thank you for your comments.

"Career Killer"

I worked at ITO EN (North America)

Pros

Company makes good and healthy product that consumers love. Office is located in a central area and is easily accessible by trains.

Cons

If you are a male chauvinist, you will definitely reach far in this company. However, If you are a motivated individual that works well in a team environment, that loves development and want to build on your skills, please don't apply! This company has the highest rate of staff turnover I've every seen.

Advice to Management

You will never change, SO STOP saying that you're trying to change things and that you're listening to the employees!

ITO EN (North America)2016-07-11

July 26, 2016Chief Operating Officer

Glad to read that you agree that we make good and healthy products that consumers love. And, yes, our office is in a great neighborhood of Brooklyn with easy transportation. Your comments about "male chauvinist" and a high rate of staff turnover are totally inaccurate. We have a very diverse workplace and place a high value on developing employees and teamwork. In addition, we have experienced low turnover in a very competitive and growing market. Regarding your "advice to management", sorry, but I will continue to listen to our employees via our employee roundtable meetings, suggestion box, open door policy and other venues available to all employees at Ito En (North America) Inc. I am firmly committed to making Ito En a successful company and a great place to work. Thank you for your comments.

"Happily Employed in Sales"

I have been working at ITO EN (North America) for more than 5 years

Pros

- Strong opportunities for advancement based on proven performance. - Honest and friendly co-workers with integrity, great work ethic, and dedication to teamwork. - Premium and trending products to feel good about selling and making people healthier. - Freedom to make decisions and work independently...self-autonomy to get the job done. - Very loyal employer toward employee retention and strong foundation of job... security/stability. - Good insurance benefits and 401K plan.

Cons

- Must have patience to work here and willingness to roll with unique hybrid of Japanese and American company culture. Not for everyone and some personalities won't fit. - Office environment is quite sterile with an old-school, cubicle environment. - Conservative nature of company can stifle growth evolution and limit ability to be nimble.

Advice to Management

- Improve corporate culture and office environment to fit with modern employee standards by adding perks and benefits (casual dress policy, office artwork & furniture, flex time, gym fitness benefit, employee mixers, off-site retreats). - Start bench marking the work culture against other employers to be more current and relevant, especially for young employees. - Innovate with greater speed and efficiency.

ITO EN (North America)2016-05-17

"Terrible place to work"

I worked at ITO EN (North America) full-time

Pros

Transit, 401K, health insurance was pretty decent compared to some others, the Brooklyn bridge is right there, the view of Manhattan

Cons

EXTREMELY low pay so this negates the pros, rewards employees who work long hours instead of what they accomplish, HR is corrupt and will be the ones causing problems for you. The people who stick around are those that really NEED a job (sponsorship, lack of English, been laid off recently, etc). My career expectations were never acknowledged and I was stuck doing the work no one wanted for several years until I had... the "experience" (aka years to put in my resume) to leave. My career has proliferated ever since I left this company. You can do better.

ITO EN (North America)2016-03-29

May 11, 2016Chief Operating Officer

Thanks for recognizing the great benefits that the company provides! We are constantly working to make our wages competitive in the marketplace. And, I believe that our wages and benefits package is currently very competitive. We have great tenure at the company and we continue to thrive in North America. Regarding career expectations, we have an ongoing policy of career goal worksheets, semi-annual reviews and an open-door policy. Glad that you were able to get the experience you needed at Ito En to move on to a better fit for your career.

"Full Time"

Current Employee - Staff in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at ITO EN (North America) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for. Great benefits. Matched 401K.

Cons

Quite unprofessional HR but we all get used to it. You don't get paid during your maternity leave.

Advice to Management

HR needs a lot of improvement.

ITO EN (North America)2016-02-17

May 11, 2016Chief Operating Officer

Thanks for your comments about working at ITO EN (North America) INC. Glad to hear that you enjoy working for the company and our great benefits! Regarding HR, it is always a challenging to be department responsible for communicating the company policies. Having said, that, we are always looking to improve, so I appreciate and value your comment. For maternity leave, we do actually pay employees during maternity leave and follow all federal and state regulations for maternity leave. And, we are constantly reviewing our maternity policy (and other benefits) to make sure they are meeting the needs of our employees. Thanks again for your comments!

Found 19 reviews