ITT Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

ITT Systems Reviews

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Can start at the Help desk and move around to more technical areas (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Long trips spent away from home (in 3 reviews)

• Was not the most well paying company and senior management was just recycled friends of other (in 4 reviews)

"Would rather live under a bridge than work here again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at ITT Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gained valuable experience working with different programs

Cons

Extremely unethical and amoral. Was asked to cheat on my time card to prevent overtime costs.Salary caps are based on what the current senior person in that career field is making, not the local average. Logistics department held "spouse swapping" parties. Two team members, without clearances, were allowed to continue working on the program, even after security violations. Good old boys club is alive an well! Left because my doctor feared for my health due to the increased job stress.

Advice to Management

Be more concerned about the work environment and employee morale than making a name for yourself and covering your behinds. Daily four hour "progress" meetings do not improve team cohesiveness.

"Was able to gain some valuable experience within the DOD industry from a phenomenal leader."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at ITT Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My manager was a phenomenal leader and mentor who really taught me some invaluable lessons and instruction during my employment there. The employees both within the corporate office and in the field in Afghanistan, both U.S. Citizen and Foreign National, both the custodian cleaning the bathroom and the V.P. of Operations, all felt important and represented equally. She was a true leader.

The original LOGCAP HR / Mgmt team had some excellent leaders among them! They were respected for their high values and ethical standards. It was such a shame to see them split up by upper management.

Cons

Unfortunately when large contracts with large amounts of money come into play, a companies ethics start becoming challenged. Employees hired for overseas contracts were not always given the correct information or provided everything stated in the contract. Many things "over looked", or "forgotten", in sake of the employee working overseas. Unfortunately, it does seem to be the "name of the game" in this particular industry, however I was hoping this company would have been the one to set the standard and do the right thing for the employees that work in these danger zones.

Advice to Management

Leadership is a combination of strategy and character. If you must be without one, be without the strategy.
    — H. Norman Schwarzkopf, Army general

"Qualified Competent Professionals Need Not Apply to Afghanistan Positions"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Able to support the Armed Forces in war zones; tax benefit for being an ex-pat during a calendar year; if you are in I.T. only work here for 1 or more of the following 3 reasons: if you are inexperienced in your field and want to gain entry-level experience, if you want to support the armed forces/are patriotic, are desperate for money. If you are established & experienced in your field stateside - stay there or you will carry 99% of the work load while the inexperienced employees surf the net all day & complain about everything else while management does absolutely nothing. Employees do not get fired except for drug, alcohol or sexual offenses. Incompetency will gain them transfers - and, yes (I swear) promotions to higher level positions! Qualified employees get burned out quickly - often resulting in them simply quitting to go back stateside or to a better paying employer - and ITT management does not care one iota bout losing qualified/hard working employers.

Cons

Poorly managed (and often, just a lack of management altogether), from the top down; hiring of extremely incompetent workers; heavy work load on the few competent workers that exist; pay significantly less than competing employers; Unsafe living conditions (I know its a war zone - but living in moldy safe houses prone to attack - and forbidden from being armed - is unsat)

Advice to Management

Hire PROVEN leaders in the I.T. field. Promoting from within is fine on occasion - but should NOT be the sole method for hiring any/all management personnel (not just in I.T.). Leads should be hired AS leads, Senior personnel should be hired AS senior personnel, and managers should be hired AS managers. Tasking people with no skill or desire as a lead/senior/manager yields poor results. Additionally, hire qualified & competent workers and quit filling slots by selecting any warm body that can aquire a clearance. Ensure your personnel aware aware of ALL policies & procedures instead of sharing this knowledge AFTER the fact (sending out the occasional PIOP is unsat. Make them ALL available to ALL users. Also ensure personnel are using CURRENT forms/paperwork (ie, I submitted a Leave Request form - approved at all levels of my site - 5 months in advance - only to learn that ITT no longer is authorized for MILAIR flight to Europe - yet, the form clearly stated ITT Employees were authorized to fly to places such as Frankfurt or Ramstein, Germany. This resulted in a loss to myself of over $3,000 and cancelling of much needed R&R. Management simply did not care or offer to make ammends for their mistake.)
    I read these reivews prior to signing on with ITT, assuming many were from persons who had not deployed before, or simply held a personal grudge. I am a Navy vet who had been deployed while on active duty, and am a highly skilled professional with over 20 years of REAL experience in my field (not resume fluff/embellishment). I'm often recognized for both my work ethic & excellent customer service oriented activity by employers - and was recognized plenty while with ITT in Afghanistan. So there's no "personal" grudge here. This is all business. I have found that hard working qualified individuals are made to carry the weight of their whole team; rarely will you find more than 1 qualified individual in a shop. And there is no time or mechanism to provide adequate on the job training while still addressing the work that needs to be done (the "JCTL" system is a joke) The hiring screening process can easily prevent this from happening, but when management is not involved in anything but making sure their own civilian & military managers stay off their back - nothing changes. Putting out fires is the way of doing business at ITT in Afghanistan - and it doesn't need to be this way. Yes, it's a war zone - but, the infrastructure is setup in away to easily allow efficient, enterprise level management of the I.T. systems in country - but management has no clue what that means - so its non-existent. I should say I'm shocked that ITT continues to win their O&M contract - but we know how inefficient the government is too oten, don't we?

"Unsatisfying"

Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Retirement is an attractive benefit. Military environment, which suited me as a retiree myself. Company was local to where I live

Cons

In Business Development, when a proposal is hot, they work you like a dog - Saturday and Sunday every weekend for three or four months at a time. Then you might get a few weeks of 40 hours, then right back to 100 hours a week.

Leadership is poor. Promotions prospects are poor. Salary is poor.

Advice to Management

Develop your people better. The training department needs a big changes. Provide career advancement opportunities. Until you do, good people will keep leaving.

5. "It was a life time experience that we were a world class factory that build US amry raidio, hi tech, new equipment."

Former Employee - Senior Technician in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Technician in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

Good pay, good management, clean an safe.

Cons

Defence cut, or new technology that we don't have.

"ITT systems division HQ is focused on running and growing DoD services-based programs"

Current Employee - Business Development in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Business Development in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

People and teamwork
    Interesting challenging work
    All hands meeting to keep employees informed

Cons

ITT Systems does not do a good job at strategizing for the future resulting in lots of effort to be placed on unplanned initiatives requiring putting out a lot of fires.
    There is a disconnect between senior managers and individuals that do the work
    Program management functions between program areas (business lines) is inconsistent
    Recognition for good work can be improved
    Senior managers are not professionally trained

Advice to Management

Plan ahead, strategize, and prepare for the future
    Recognize employees for their contributions beyond the paper certificate and award ceremony
    Remove organizational layers to facilitate work and reduce overhead

"ITT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Prospect, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Prospect, IL

Pros

It's a job, nothing more than that.

Cons

People not treated with respect from management.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

"Not the same"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA

Pros

good benefits and tuition reimbursement

Cons

Management unethical, more about power and control than what is good for the customer and businses.

Advice to Management

Rememeber who does the actual work

"Could be a good company because of the people"

Former Employee - Production in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Production in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Not able to get good contracts. Lay offs are always a concern

Advice to Management

Nothing to add here

"Great company, horrible location"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator

Pros

If you get a chance to work for ITT, do it. They're fair for the most part and they tend to recruit some pretty good tallent. Kuwait on the other hand sucks. The hours are really rough and working on some of the bases is really tough. Contractors are not well respected by military counterparts, so that can be tough to deal with. Absolutely work for this company if you get a chance though. Just do it somewhere else.

Cons

They tend to promote the smartest geek into the positions of managment that they're just not comfortable with or good at. You will always know that the most technical person is leading the charge, but they often lack the soft management skills found in other disciplines. That's such a small gripe though.

Advice to Management

You guys are a really pro contracting team and I definitely would work for you again. Work on promoting actual managers with that skillset and you'll have a killer combination.