ITT Technical Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
ITT Technical Institute Chairman & CEO Kevin M. Modany
Kevin M. Modany

1,196 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Extremely altruistic and fulfilling position helping students achieve their educational goals (in 60 reviews)

• Working with students who wanted to do their best to succeed (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, schedule changes constantly (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management encourages passing every student regardless of grades, so they will stay enrolled (in 38 reviews)

"ITT is NOT a school but a slaughterhouse setup under the guise of education."

Current Employee - Instructor in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Easy money if you don't care what students are getting for their investment.

Cons

They have you call students to ask them why they weren't in school. These are adults!! Their marketing teams has no care what level of competency they sell to people to get them to come there, then after the first week the students "sit" and financial aid has gotten them to sign on loans for 30 grand or more for a two-year degree, they are in the hands of the faculty who's job it is to "get them through" to graduation. Our raises, if any, are based on 50% if the student passes, 25% on the students evaluations and 25% for EIGHT different items we must perform each year just to make that 25%. It's a system set up for faculty to fail wherein we are the brunt of "fault" for retention problems and other items. The students who evaluate us must give us 4.75 or BETTER out of 5 for us to get any 'merit' raise. Some part-time as well as full-time instructors bribe the students with food and time off just to get them to give them good ratings. You may think it's because the students find it difficult to "like" the Instructor. Let's see, if you put a student who barely made it through high school or who has a GED or has no interest in school but was wooed in under false circumstances and put them into a class that just "might" have to work now, that's one way to get them to not like the Instructors. I have seen students who failed their courses or who didn't even show up for half their classes STILL pass with a C or better. Give me a break! Some students are leaving after two years who can't even put a complete sentence together while speaking much less write it down in an email.

There is NO tutoring available, they have substandard cheap ($10) calculators given to students for a TECHNICAL school trying to teach them physics and engineering level math. They want them to pass and won't even try to make it easier by giving them the right equipment. They are supposed to have computers for each student. In some classes there are only FIVE for 15 fifteen students or more and they are outdated, BUT they are revamping the schools with prettier tables, nicer snack machines and different colored walls, BUT equipment for their education - NADA!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Acquire the concept for communication and appreciate that the people you hire w/degrees may have a lot more to contribute than to be used as pawns for some greater gain.

"Hold your integrity at the door."

Former Employee - Financial Aid Administrator in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Administrator in Dayton, OH

Pros

If you are desperate for employment it helps pay the bills.

Cons

There appears to be no rhyme or reason to the promotions process. Customer service is not important. The company says that it tells the recruiters to never lead a future student on as to what the school offers, or what can be done for them, but the recruiters tell the students anything to get them to sign and show up for classes. Each department is judged upon the "numbers" it produces, not the service or the education it provides the students.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings, talk to them like people do not say things like "you know I could fire you" on a daily basis. You have the opportunity to produce a good product but management has become so hard-wired in making happy with the share holders that it has forgotten what they started as - an EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION. Bring in the students who can read and write, Teach those who are teachable and who are wanting what you have to offer, quit bringing in students just to get the numbers. - I left on good terms.

"If You Want to Work Hard for Little Reward, Get a Job at ITT!"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Tampa, FL

Pros

Steady paycheck. Also, there's so much employee turnover, it's almost impossible to get fired.

Cons

Completely and totally backwards company to work for. Management will tell you all these wonderful things about working here (just to get you to take the job), then about two weeks into it you realize you were told all that stuff because the employee turnover is CRAZY high and they just needed a warm body to fill the position.

Advice to Management

It's the year 2008, not 1928. Update management principles, which currently are "Just be glad you have a job and shut your mouth."

"You will need a very strong constitution to work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Our department had very good instructors--when it had them - I cannot vouch for other departments. There is a strong commitment to keeping paperwork up to accreditation standards. The Institute that I worked for also provided good equipment and facilities for students.

Cons

The company is so driven by numbers that it permeates every (and I do mean ALL) aspect of every job. Therefore if you have worked in the past for universities, colleges, or community colleges, and liked the culture, environment, etc. this is not the place for you. There is a single minded determination here. There is no overall feeling of school spirit or progressiveness. Faculty merit increases are determined by grades and attendance. Departments and admissions staff are rewarded only if they make their numbers. In some instances you are demoted if you do not. Every company wide meeting's main topic is to talk about numbers. This is a sales environment not an educational one.

For most of the staff here, there is no formal training. They do not have policy and procedure manuals for departments that employees may use to learn their specific jobs -- other than for faculty that I could find. It is a fly by the seat of your pants learning environment. That being said, you will be fired if you do not catch on quickly.

When I first started working here I thought the culture/environment was out of control in that people and departments were at odds with each other all the time but were hiding it under pleasantries. But yet they kept repeating the same behavior that caused the dissention--thinking that the pleasantries made up for it. No one understood that it is more important not to cause the dissention in the first place so there would not be anything you needed to make up for later. That is why I said you have to have a strong constitution to work here. Most of this I believe is caused by the fact that there are no HR facilities at these institutes. They contract out to a remote provider which is mostly used for personnel actions such as warnings and terminations. They have online training that a person may take individually. This is not good for helping to establish a team environment unless the institute has someone who will do this training in a group setting and enforce it. A good HR department will hold training courses, team building programs, provide structured conflict resolution, and a myriad of other trainings to assist a company in providing a professional atmosphere for its employees. In many instances it will also be the fair arbitrator. But you will not find that here. You tenure will be at the discretion of a few untrained employees.

Advice to Management

Hire at least one onsite HR person for each institute to regulate what goes on inside the school. There are too many people being forced out of these schools for the wrong reasons and most management staff is not equipped to oversee this function without getting overly involved emotionally or are abusing their authority.

"A place to work if you have no soul."

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Like all teaching, it can be very rewarding to see students learn. Many of the people there are very nice and really do want the best for the students.

Cons

There is something desperatly wrong with ITT Grand Rapids right now. Expect to see deminishing enrollement. They are eliminating all full-time instructors to cut costs. In my short few years I've noticed a complete loss in community and deminished quality in teachers. Moral has been destroyed. The infrastructure at the new building is substandard and it is evident from the students that it has been a failure. ACICS should go into that place and tear it apart. I would garentee that they would find countless issues with aspects of how the campus is run. ITT has demonstrated how a for profit company should not ever receive accredation. Top management is out of touch and treats adjuncts like dirt.

Advice to Management

Get an HR department locally on campus. I get sick of explaining to students that they are laying off good people in the name of cutting costs. Major changes and lay offs should not be done in secret. If they are done in such a manner it is proving there was a cover up. It is evident from other posts on here it is being done accross the country. Your going to hire substandard part time replacements and your orginazation will suffer.

"Don't expect students who are ready for college material."

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

I love teaching my subject matter to students who are interested in learning and getting ahead in life. The students accepted into this school are not, in my experience with about 150 students at this point, "typical" students who've been successful in high school or life in general. So, I do feel like I have been able to make a difference in the life of a person who would potentially bounce from job to job and remain basically uneducated if it weren't for ITT. There are definitely students at ITT who want to learn; the sad thing is they are going to put down $40-$80 thousand dollars on a degree that is not from a regionally accredited institution. They don't realize that "national" accreditation is almost meaningless. If they ever want a "real" degree, they are going to have to start all over with similar classes again. It would have been better for them to just take a few remedial classes at an accredited institution and then attempt a "real" college which has regional accreditation and recognition.

Cons

If you can breathe, you can be accepted for enrollment at ITT Technical Institute, so they allow many students in who are completely unprepared to do any kind of work at the post-high school level. The majority of the students were operating at about a junior high level of academic level ability. There have been a few exceptions to this generalization. The students expect to be able to do all their work in class and complain vehemently if they can't get their work done that it's the teacher's fault for not allowing time in class to get the work done! They don't have any concept that "college" work requires time outside of class.

The upper management is very aggressive about attendance and making sure forms regarding attendance are turned in on time. Faculty members are required to call absent students on break during class to find out why they aren't present and what can be done to bring them up to speed. So, students who bothered to come to class and have questions on break need to be ignored so that students who could care less can be tracked down. I found out why later. It's all about numbers. "Butts in chairs" is what the game is all about--not student success. If there is a valid question about curriculum or resources, it is generally rebuffed or ignored.

There is MASSIVE turnover in staffing at all levels. Teachers quitting midway through a quarter is commonplace. There is a heavy emphasis on forms/paperwork and trivial matters. It seems like a "fiddle while Rome is burning" situation at ITT.

Students who try to create clubs or student council type organizations are discouraged. I thought that was curious until I realized that the upper management doesn't truly want the students to gather and encourage one another. The truth might accidentally come out that many of them are being deceived about the accuracy of the mission statement, the quality of their degrees and their desirability as employees of top-notch companies.

Advice to Management

Be transparent.

"Too much turnover...even in a recession"

Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Cordova, TN
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Cordova, TN

Pros

Ummm...direct deposit. autonomy...if you are getting you numbers.

Cons

constant pressure on marketing dept. very little room for growth (unless you are willing to relocate).

Advice to Management

quit threatening to fire people and maybe they wont be so anxious to leave. also encourage reps to be honest with students.

"Good place if you can't find anything else."

Current Employee - Representative in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Representative in Tulsa, OK

Pros

Good starting salary. Two weeks vacation when given enough notice.

Cons

Cost of tuition is out of this world. More then twice the cost versus other schools. Health benefits are terrible. Constant threats of firing. Turn over like you have never seen before. NO security and no advancement.

Advice to Management

Treat people like you would want to be treated. Threatening job does not make people work harder. It makes them look elsewhere for work. Have tuition comparable to other schools.

"ITT Technical Institute: Avoid unless you must."

Former Employee - ITT Technical Institute (Former Employee) in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - ITT Technical Institute (Former Employee) in Houston, TX

Pros

If you simply want sales experience to help you get started elsewhere, then this might be a good fit for you, so long as your employer doesn't play favorites.

Cons

Highly political atmosphere, you either play the game and steal as many students as you can and enroll them, or you will most likely be shown the door. This isn't about what's best for the studen'ts interest- it's about making them spend that $50K on an associates degree at least.

Advice to Management

If the manager is good, the department will thrive. Though, I know that my manager liked to hand out the "good" leads to those she liked the most, while the rest of us got stuck with bottom of the barrel "I accidentally signed up for something, didn't realize I'd be getting 3+ calls per day from you guys" people. Also, I know that some teachers will pass their students (even though they didn't really do the work) to keep their numbers intact because their salaries depend on that too.

"DO NOT EVER WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

The only pro is that the pay is decent.

Cons

This is the worst job I have ever had- and would like to warn others not to work here- no matter how desperate you may be for a job!
    There is no training for the job- learn as you go which is not easy in this field.
    My director never worked a full 8 hour day- she came in late and left early- showed up Saturdays when she felt like it- but made sure that all of her employees worked 6 day week with NO OVERTIME. And it's basically a 2nd shift job- they lied about all of this in the initial interview so beware- I asked all of these questions and they told me that we would only be working one Saturday a month at the most- and guess what? I've worked the last 10 Saturdays in a row.
    The hours are horrid- they change your schedule last minute and screw up your personal life. I had planned a vacation, and two days before I was to leave, they changed our schedule to work that Saturday and I was able to go on my vacation- one that I had planned for months with my family!
    The upper management is the most corrupt group of people I have ever been around. They are untrustworthy individuals and are in complete control of your success. If they don't like you, you will not get any good leads. Out of the few leads my director would send me, most or all had no phone number, disconnected #'s, or had already been through multiple other rep's and were not interested and had conveyed it to the other reps.
    Unethical, unprofessional, and horrible place to work- or even go to school.
    Our district manager told us that we are a business before a school- so if that tells you anything about the morals of this school- you should know to STAY FAR AWAY!!!

Advice to Management

Learn how to be a manager- what it means to treat your employees well. Once you learn how to motivate you employees and make them think you value them and their contributions, success will follow. Also, let your employees have a work/life balance- people need to spend more time with their families and then they won't be so burned out!!!

Showing 1,196 of 1,237 reviews