ITV Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
ITV Chairman Archie Norman
Archie Norman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good company, good people and work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great place to work with great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is relatively poor, training could be a bit better, career progression can be hard and some of the facilities are simply not good enough (in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance can easily go awry (in 3 reviews)

1. "A good company to work form"

I have been working at ITV full-time

Pros

Teams are really nice, they look after their staff

Cons

Pay is not as good as you would expect

Advice to Management

N/a

2. "Great company"

Former Employee - Researcher in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Researcher in London, England (UK)

I worked at ITV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, great projects to work on. Good networking

Cons

Low pay. At times hard to move forward

3. "Good place to work"

Pros

Relaxed environment to work in

Cons

Sometimes disorganised and people don't always know what theyre meant to be doing

4. "ITV review"

I have been working at ITV full-time

Pros

good company, good people and work life balance

Cons

none that i can think of

5. "Recommended"

I worked at ITV part-time

Pros

Great professional development, encourage staff to try different opportunities within the business.

Cons

HR related communication can be poor.

6. "Good Company"

I have been working at ITV full-time

Pros

good management, ambitious, reward good performance

Cons

some weaker, more bureaucratic areas

7. "I love working there"

I have been working at ITV full-time

Pros

A Company thats on the up

Cons

You can end staying there for years

8. "Lovely place to work!"

I have been working at ITV full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone acts like a big family. Very friendly

Cons

Difficult to move around departments.
    Lifts at southbank

"Schedule Coordinator at ITV - An honest review"

Current Employee - Schedule Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Schedule Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ITV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of people are lovely, the other coordinators in particular. ITV have a company Christmas party each year which is usually very good, and there is an annual bonus which, though it has decreased in the last year, is still a nice perk.

Cons

Unfortunately the Broadcast Operations department treat their staff like children. We're not allowed to wear headphones during the day, for which there's never been an explanation. It feels like being at school, so don't expected to be treated like an adult. There are people working here in their 30s and 40s who aren't allowed to wear headphones and get told off if they do. We have asked many times why the rule is in place, and why we can't wear headphones when the rest of ITV staff are able to, and no answer has ever been forthcoming. It is a media company, the work can be very dull and repetitive and there is absolutely no reason that headphones should be disallowed.

There is virtually no possibility of promotion, there is a lot of top heavy middle management and in the four years I've worked at ITV no one on any of the channel teams has had anything resembling a promotion or a notable pay rise.

In the last few years they've started hiring new people as 'trainees', all of whom are kept on temporary contracts for as long as they're legally allowed to. Then they either let them go or finally give them a permanent contract. It feels like the department will go to any lengths to save money and their aim is to keep salaries low and pay people as little as they can. When someone who is experienced leaves, they replace them with an entry level 'trainee' on a 6 month contract and pay them around £18,000 as a starting salary, which is much lower than the starting salary was even just a few years ago.

The main issue with this job is that there is just nowhere to go. There are few transferable skills in this job other than general things such as organisation and attention to detail, and there is very little possibility of climbing the ranks within the department because there are no promotions. Most of the people working here as schedule coordinators want to leave but find it difficult to get another job because this job doesn't lend itself to any other job but presentation scheduling at another company.

Would I recommend taking a job at ITV as a Schedule Co-ordinator? Absolutely not. Genuinely, I would stay far away and look for a job where you aren't treated like a child, where you have at least the slightest prospect of promotion and where you can accumulate skills and experience that other employers will actually value.

Advice to Management

Stop treating staff as if they were children at school. All that achieves is to make everyone unhappy and certain that they want to leave as soon as they are able.

Acknowledge and put to use the skills of the staff you have. Currently they go unused and unnoticed which is a real shame.

10. "Youre just another number"

I worked at ITV full-time

Pros

Studios on site. Normally a good team as everyone is fed up there's a sense of togetherness in the hatred for management.

Cons

You literally have to be friends with the right people and generally be white middle class. Blonde if you're a girl and posh- ish and gay ish if you're a man/boy.
    The runners / programme assistants are on such low salaries so now only the rich kids can afford to start there unless you have a relative or friend there who can bump you up to researcher.
    I took my very white blonde step kids in one day and my little girl asked me why there were no indian or black people especially in the good morning Britain floors. I don't know why?
    Since ITV took over its all about business now, so gone are the days where you worked into the night and they gave you the next day off now they just work you into the ground and offer something insulting like 'come in at 10/11 instead of 930, unless you say something and even then you're scared that they will blacklist you as some that have spoken up have been passed up for promotions etc and if you're a freelance then you're on your own they really don't give a hoot about you, one freelancer was so bullied and excluded for years he eventually spoke up and was told that HR and management are not there for freelancers. He pointed out that bullying affects freelancers and staff. The freelancers rate is the lowest I've seen and never ever goes up. I know two people that left because they were so bullied they got ill.
    ITV especially daytime will suck you dry and spit you out. It's a young persons game who can do the job of 6 people - runner, producer, director, camera, sound and editor - for less than the more experienced can do for 2 of those roles even though we're often called to clean up some ones mess and even then on a 3 day schedule when it could easily be double that.
    The long and short of it is, that its probably a good place to start when you're young as they have the production offices and studios on site and there really are some fantastic people in some of the teams, so talented and positive but you see then wither after a few years, its really sad to see esp the young ones that keep getting passed over for promotions. If you have any self respect I wouldn't stay there for too long.