Ice Miller Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Byron L. Myers

1. "Practice Group Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ice Miller full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent firm, good reputation, excellent resources and good camaraderie among colleagues. Pay and benefits are top drawer.

Cons

Hard to be critical, I was let go because practice I was in was not making any money. It was not Ice Miller's fault. They gave us time and resources to make it work.

Advice to Management

Clearer expectations during the interview process regarding revenue generation might help the next person. Overall, though, pretty good place to work.

2. "Paralegal"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ice Miller (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co workers and downtown location

Cons

Office management incapable of managing in a law office environment. Company only concerned about offices in other locations not in Columbus.

Advice to Management

Your workers are your greatest asset. Every location matters.

3. "Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

It once at a great reputation

Cons

This place sux. Greed greed greed. Us little peasants, or more lovingly referred to by HR as an archaic 1950's term "secretary" which is a sexist and demeaning reference especially to those of us with college degrees, are treated like monkeys. They have no respect for the staff and treat us like we are all criminals. God forbid you complain about something bc then you have a target on your back and will be harassed until you either quit or get fired. HR makes up BS to put you on "probation" which means you might as well pack your bags bc u have one foot out the door. They always change policies to benefit them and screw staff out of vacation or sick time. They fire long term higher paid assistants so they can hire in less qualified people for half the pay. It's a horrible horrible place to work. The CFO only wants to line his pockets. Do not work here

Advice to Management

Do away with HR and it would be a great place to work. The founding members would be appalled at how the firm now treats the staff.

5. "Associate"

I have been working at Ice Miller full-time

Pros

The firm has a very collegial environment and is located in a city with a very low cost of living.

Cons

The firm is very much centered in Indiana and to some extent in Ohio and has relatively few national clients.

6. "Admin"

Pros

Nice office space, technology. Nice friendly people to work with and share ideas and information. Good reputation and community involvement.

Cons

This is a flat organization, with no room for advancement, or clear rules and guidelines for advancement or learning new skills.

Advice to Management

There are many things to be said, and improved. Overall there could be better performance expectations and details provided to staff.

7. "Stressful, overwhelming, hours-driven firm."

Current Employee - Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ice Miller full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Before I would say the flexibility to work whenever and wherever, but now they are constantly watching. now I'd say the location. it is right downtown and in a high rise.

Cons

They cut staff, added more hours.I haven't made hours, but I have made them millions. they are solely hours-driven, and don't help you get those hours.

"Like a Facist Regime..."

Current Employee - Secretary in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Secretary in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ice Miller full-time

Pros

A few of the people are nice. There sometimes is free food. Decent vacation time.

Cons

They watch your every move like hawks. Hypercritical. Many of the attorneys are mean and/or rude. Attorneys are treated like gods. Staff are peasants.

Advice to Management

Create less division. Make it feel less classist. Don't be so rigid and critical. Staff shouldn't feel like second class citizens. More equality, less catering to the attorneys.

9. "Ice Cold Miller"

Current Employee - Attorney
    Current Employee - Attorney

I have been working at Ice Miller full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people and great location. Everything downtown is within walking distance and Indy is a great city! I wish I had more good things to say.

Cons

It feels like such a miserable place. Everyone has someone below them that they pound on to get work done. Individuals put in a lot of time and it is a high stress environment, but that is expected in a law firm. It's the pounding, micromanaging that makes it truly unbearable.

Advice to Management

Please stop the cycle of command and control. Give smart individual contributors some flexibility to make things happen. Reward more than the billable hour - being a good mentor and internal ambassador should count more.

10. "A stressful, rigid place to work"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ice Miller full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the general staff is nice. Decent amount of PTO.

Cons

Management is extremely rigid; time is monitored down to the minute; staff is treated like 2nd class citizens; attorneys are treated like gods; attorneys are verbally and psychologically abusive; pay is way less than other comparable firms.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone as equals; offer better compensation (you get what you pay for); forced tests are insulting; don't glorify attorneys; don't over manage

11. "Attorney"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ice Miller full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong regional client base. Good support staff.

Cons

Poor review process and mentoring program. Partner involvement (and presence) in office varies widely by group.

Advice to Management

Move to a semi-annual review process. Encourage partner mentoring as opposed to associate mentoring.