Icon Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Icon is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Boise, ID

I have been working at Icon Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Icon has an amazing company culture! Management truly cares about employees and everyone, at every level, is valued. Performance expectations are clearly laid out and managers are encouraged to work with and coach employees to help them grow.

Cons

The only downside to Icon is that it's a small company so it can't offer the types of benefits or opportunities to employees that a larger company can. This is more than offset by the great working environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace change to help the company move forward but don't forget about the company's roots. As companies grow, oftentimes the culture and all of the things that made it unique go away.

"Wonderful company to invest in!"

I have been working at Icon Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am so proud to be an employee of Icon Credit Union! Icon focuses on building a strong culture from within from the top down. I love the team of people that this company brings together. Everyone comes with such different strengths and are encouraged to bring their best ideas to the front. This group of people are incredibly fun and driven, which makes coming to work exciting. I love having a voice within Icon. I have been at different levels and no matter what my role has been, my leadership heard my suggestions and allows me be apart of any ideas that I bring up.

Cons

This is a growing company which means things are constantly changing and updating. If change is hard for you, or you can't help find solutions to current issues then this might not be the best fit for you.
    You do have to have the drive to step up and continually be reaching for the next level or you can easily fall behind the other employees. This is not a company where you can stay in the background.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to grow, adapt, and get better! Consistency will help get us further and become better!

"Bureaucratic with low integrity."

Pros

There is a very high turn over. Anyone that can be professional and commit to the mission of the month, will be able to advance from teller to leader in a short period of time with no experience.

There is also a great opportunity to get a back office role in the same path.

Cons

Very moment to moment. Continues to come up with new plans and does not follow through. There is also zero accountability. The CEO has very low intra company and public confidence. One of the most un-inspiring leader ship teams that I have ever worked with.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting your time by spying on your team via e-mails, recorded calls and instant messages. Focus your time on being an ethical leader and check in every once in awhile. You may find out about problems direct from the team and not through espionage.

"VP of Finance"

I worked at Icon Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training ground, solid company financially

Cons

Awful culture, high turnover, difficult CEO

"Solution Specialist"

I worked at Icon Credit Union full-time

Pros

There a great opportunities for advancement within this company. I worked in the call center, but it was not a typical call center. I had vast job responsibilities, and was given the opportunity to learn a lot and be a leader early on. Once you've been there about a year, there are LOTS of opportunities to move within the company, including changing departments is you wish. A lot of great people work there, and the supervisors are great. They also provide a lot of vacation time after being with the company for a year. During the first year you are only given 8 hours of PTO per month, but at the year mark it goes up to 12 and continues up from there.

Cons

Some things about the work schedule are not flexible- for example hour lunches are required, and unpaid time off is prohibited. There also tends to be a lot of turnover- for various reasons, much of it probably due to typical turnover in banking (eg. seeking better pay elsewhere).

Advice to Management

The company has a great vision, but increased flexibility would provide more opportunities for you to get and keep quality employees.

"Politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at Icon Credit Union (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and team work. Pay was good.

Cons

Higher ups don't know what they are doing when they put people who don't understand the departments they are managing. Not dedicated to the employee's as far as loyalty. Loss my opinion of Integrity, as one of the core values.

Advice to Management

Work a day in your employee's shoes.

7. "Amazing Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Pros

Icon has an amazing culture and team built up of incredibly fun people who are also driven to do whats best for Icon's members. From the top down everyone is real and genuine. Icon's benefits are great and very competitive to a lot larger companies. Icon also takes all staff on an annual camping trip that is amazing!! This is my favorite job and a company that I'm proud to work for!

Cons

Honestly can say that there are not any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

8. "I love working for Icon!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Pros

It is a pleasure to come to work every day. Icon invests in employees and their careers. If you are driven, the sky is the limit to where you can go in the organization. Exceptional culture that breeds the success that Icon has experienced over the last several years.

Cons

Growth = change and sometimes that can be difficult for some. If you aren't changing and evolving, though, you can become irrelevant. I think Icon is always looking for ways to grow, improve, and change.

9. "Unlike any other place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Icon Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Icon is just awesome. Too many companies talk up a big game when it comes to culture but Icon really lives it, from the top down. Beginning with the CEO, who lives and breathes optimism and enthusiasm, every employee contributes to the culture in some unique way and the individual components of a company's culture (namely the attitudes of those working here) are managed in such a way that we've got the flexibility to be who we are while also contributing to the brand as a whole.

Cons

The only real "con" with Icon is the same one you'll find at any small financial institution - a tendency for constant change. Icon is always growing and adapting to new realities, from new products for members to mergers with other credit unions, and some people find that kind of change unsettling. However, our CEO does an incredible job at coaching and training up individuals to learn to tolerate and thrive in a changing environment, which also really helps better prepare you for life in general. So if you're looking for a job where you can punch in and punch out and just collect a paycheck, Icon isn't for you. But if you want to learn to be a versatile, flexible and opportunistic employee, Icon is a great place to be.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing. As Icon grows, don't let up in your strict attention to detail; especially when it comes to maintaining the company's culture. I've seen growth lead to hasty hiring decisions at other businesses and that's usually the beginning of the end for the original culture, which is much easier to maintain with a small group of people in one building than it is with a large employee base spread out over a large geographic area.

10. "This company cares about it's employees and growing them, both professionally and personally!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Icon Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

So many companies talk about building a strong culture, but Icon lives it. It starts with the CEO taking you to coffee your first week and genuinely wanting to get to know you and understand your desires and experience. Example, when they say that their cultural standards include Leadership and Drive, they mean it. The review and promotion system supports raises given only if you are growing in the company, and as a result, the employees they hire are engaged and are high producers. Whiners aren't really tolerated or welcomed by their peers. If you want to work hard and play hard, join Icon. If you want to coast in your job, it's probably not the place for you. The leadership also never forgets who they serve, the members, and the mission. I LOVE that they take their staff to camp at a cool place in the mountains once per year and invest in the team building and bonding that makes a cohesive team. Everyone comes back feeling part of a big team. It's nice to be part of a growing company too so their culture is working for the business.

Cons

There is no way you can hide in the background, but then again, it's nice for the majority of high achievers and really motivates the staff to reach a little higher. Also, it is a not-for-profit business, and employees are expected to spend money wisely, so there is not enough money for frivolous things.

Advice to Management

Don't get lazy with culture and keep on driving it - we can only get better.