Idaho Power Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 17, 2019

Found 53 reviews

3.7
Darrel T. Anderson
  1. "Mechanical Engineer Intern"

I worked at Idaho Power

Pros

Great atmosphere and great people to work with. They encourage cross training so you get exposed to different departments in the company.

Cons

Not a thing comes to mind. I am only filling this section out because it requires a 20 word minimum.

Idaho Power2017-02-10
  2. "lineman"

Current Employee - Lineman in Pocatello, ID

I have been working at Idaho Power

Pros

great place to live and work

Cons

under staffed too much over time

Idaho Power2016-10-20

"It's good or bad, depending on the department manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at Idaho Power full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This company goes through phases where it is well balanced between personal and professional lives. It is highly focused on the safety of employees and has great wages.

Cons

Some department leadership has soured the great reputation (read Customer Service) and turned the department from a great group working together to everyone watching their back.

Advice to Management

Change out the leadership in Customer Service and adopt the attitudes of the regional offices and you'll get great productivity and happy empoyees.

Idaho Power2016-07-18

"Frustrated"

Current Employee - Engineer II in Boise, ID

I have been working at Idaho Power full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours, pension and 401K, competitive salary, opportunities for personal development and cross training, high job security, big emphasis on safety, and a great internship program

Cons

Experience is highly dependent on your manager and it's very much a top down micromanage approach. Historically people rather than process based, so it is incredibly frustrating when you're new because everyone does things their own way and you just have to know who to talk to. Extremely difficult if you don't fit into the typical mold. Progress is paralyzed because all decisions come from the top and everyone is in full...

Advice to Management

Empower people to make decisions while providing clear direction. Compensation should be based on performance rather than time and grade.

Idaho Power2016-05-28
  5. "The Kind Utility"

I worked at Idaho Power

Pros

The people are sincere and honest

Cons

Some supervisors are given way too much leeway and their opinion is overvalued

Idaho Power2016-04-26

"Employer of Choice? HaHa!"

I worked at Idaho Power full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people who can still remember good ol' times, support of work life balance and professional development. Tenured folks who are optimists.

Cons

Misguided corporate initiatives, miopic and micromanaging senior management. Directors who do not have the backgrounds needed to lead in roles with inflated titles. Promoting lean business has burned out some of the brightest, best and hardworking people at the company.

Advice to Management

Trust your people and create more doers vs. overseers, appoint a system to make HR a safe place, remove any corporate services from HR. HR is corrupt, promotes inbreeding and has placed the least qualified people at the helm of their own organization.

Idaho Power2016-04-10

"BEWARE!!!"

I have been working at Idaho Power

Pros

the regular employees are great

Cons

Poor management, deceptive. They promise you whatever you want to hear during the job offer and then take it away once you accept the position.

Idaho Power2016-01-29

"Has a bad rep for a reason."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Idaho Power full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Puts food on the table. Seeing other reviews with high ratings makes me wish I could stuff my head in the sand too. But...

Cons

HR is an absolute joke in the role they play for the company. If you're looking to apply or interview, don't instill trust in HR and be ready to be jerked around. The company hands an embarrassing amount of power to HR, who is very blind to real work that takes place. There are a lot of big ego's, empty promises/commitments, lies to the public, and generally a lack of integrity. If you're looking to become a term/temp...

Advice to Management

It is absolutely pointless to give advice to management, I have been trying for years in every level/role I have had during my time with the company.

Idaho Power2016-02-01

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at Idaho Power for more than 10 years

Pros

They believe in personal development at all levels. They have their share of politics like every other company but they do care about the employees more than any other company I've worked for. The work experience depends on a persons manager, but for the most part it's a great company to work for. It was a very positive experience for me and I had a lot of opportunities given to me.

Cons

Not many cons for me. It really depends on your manager but it's actually a progressive company with well thought out business processes.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on personal development because it is what makes Idaho Power a great company to work for and a cohesive company.

Idaho Power2015-12-10
    • "Operations"

I have been working at Idaho Power

Pros

Company pays fair wages and treats its employees well.

Cons

The company can move slowly in some areas.

Idaho Power2015-11-27