Ideal Innovations Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Robert W. Kocher Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company Great People"

Pros

Responsive to needs of employees based overseas

Cons

Not many. I enjoyed working there. Writing this review b/c GlassD is forcing me to so I can see more reviews on a company I am interviewing with.

2. "Good opportunity"

I worked at Ideal Innovations full-time

Pros

The job provided a great opportunity. The company strives to put innovation as a priority, and has some knowledgeable and passionate staff. There were a number of perks and benefits.

Cons

While they strive for innovation in some areas, lack of knowledge/understanding about other aspects of business leave many of the "decision makers" closed minded to that which they are not familiar or comfortable. This ultimately inhibited growth. Many personnel are more or less well intentioned but largely under qualified for their well-paid positions, and not empowered to do their jobs effectively anyhow.

Advice to Management

Assess where you are, where you are going, and if you have the right people with the proper skill sets to get there. Be honest with yourselves. Do you really need that many folks on overhead when the offices are empty by 3 pm and they aren't busy during the day? Most companies are doing more with less these days. Get the hunger back from the early days.

3. "A company that has lost its way"

Former Employee - Ideal Innovations Inc in Clarksburg, WV
    Former Employee - Ideal Innovations Inc in Clarksburg, WV

I worked at Ideal Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was decent although pay was cut fairly substantially in 2013.

Cons

Management at Clarksburg location is bad. Morale is bad. Instead of listening to employees', the managers respond with empty promises to get to the bottom of problems, and they never do. So many good people have been layed-off or driven off by weak management that it feels like this company is on a downward spiral. They are not winning contracts and have lost a lot of people who would help them win them. There are no promotion opportunities and contracts are year-to-year, suggesting no long term job stability.

Advice to Management

Retire. You are destroying a company that once showed a lot of promise to grow and as a great place to work.

4. "Lack of Coherent Mission"

I worked at Ideal Innovations full-time

Pros

Intelligent and dedicated co-workers helped to offset the de-moralizing effect of ineffective senior leaders.

Cons

There is no accountability for Senior Leaders, no performance management system, no objective criteria by which to evaluate job performance.

Advice to Management

Decide what your mission is and then pursue it with a culture of accountability and inclusion. Bring in an experienced BD team and pay them accordingly. Remove the inept dead wood at the top as they kill morale while draining the company's resources in terms of salary and benefits.

5. "Testing"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Carnegie, PA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Carnegie, PA

I worked at Ideal Innovations full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, good benefits fun to work with

Cons

Single Industry only do Department of Defense work

6. "Too Political"

Former Employee - Biometric Examiner in Clarksburg, WV
    Former Employee - Biometric Examiner in Clarksburg, WV

I worked at Ideal Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good first "real" job for kids fresh out of college.

Cons

Terrible office politics in the Clarksburg WV location. The manager is well-intentioned, but ultimately powerless and can only make empty promises to placate the employees.

The team atmosphere is absolutely toxic; the senior examiners are mostly comprised of late 20-somethings whose only job has been at BIMA. I'm sure that they are well-intentioned as well, but they lack the experience necessary to lead the team in a fair-minded and empirical sense. The team policies they issue are mostly fluff, and the manner in which they speak to fellow team members is downright degrading.

The office politics among team members is the worst I've ever seen. Be prepared to be thrown under the bus, undercut, and have your work credited to the kids. My only advice is to come into this place with a tough skin, don't participate in any "coworker bash sessions", and invest in a good set of headphones to drown out the kids' gossip and drama. Good grief.

Advice to Management

Stop putting the kids on pedestals and teach them how to properly lead a team. The boy's club mentality is out of control and unacceptable.

7. "I3"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Silesia, MD
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Silesia, MD

I worked at Ideal Innovations (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting Work good colleagues etc

Cons

No Job Security short contract

8. "System Administrator"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Fairmont, WV
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Fairmont, WV

I worked at Ideal Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great for a month.. not so the rest of the time.

Cons

Pay cuts, loss of contracts, lack of manager respect for employees, I guess a Pro would be that the many VP's all had bonuses and vacations while we employees watch our salaries get cut. Keep up the good work Bunker Boys you are sinking this company!

Advice to Management

The worst good ole boy structure ever witnessed. Get out of BIMA you have failed there. Move on to a new arena and loose most of your VP's and start over. Stop putting all your eggs in one basket and get more contracts. Don't cut your workers and reward your VP's.

"Good intentions but falling through the cracks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarksburg, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarksburg, WV

Pros

Good to contract staff. Rewards were in the form of birthday gift cards, travel bonuses after two years of employment and yearly bonuses for performance.

Cons

Not as proactive in handling employee training (continual or otherwise) and development due to the nature of contract employment.

Advice to Management

Need to actually train managers on how to be managers. The good ol' boys club is alive and well!

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Sys Administrative in Clarksburg, WV
    Current Employee - Sys Administrative in Clarksburg, WV

I have been working at Ideal Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The owner really cares about his employees. Management takes the time to meet with all staff throughout the year. Whenever possible they find another position for you if your contract is ending.

Cons

I3 is a smaller company which is great for many reasons, but limits the amount of other opportunities. If one contract ends sometimes there isn't another contract to go to.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Expand into other areas when you can. A yearly evaluation system may be good to implement.