Idearc Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Idearc Media Reviews

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter J. McDonald

Pros
  • Good benefits package, they did pay for all 3 of my degrees (in 10 reviews)

• decent pay and benefits from day one are good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Large company and lots of red tape (in 4 reviews)

• Very high sales quotas, win at all costs mentality, lots of red-tape (in 2 reviews)

1. "Anonimous"

Former Employee - Media Sales Representative in Roswell, GA
    Former Employee - Media Sales Representative in Roswell, GA

I worked at Idearc Media (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Work Environment & family balance

Cons

NONE at this time to mention

Advice to Management

none

2. "Overall good experience. Good people but lots of change!"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Idearc Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is not what it used to be. The company has gone through many changes and is continuing to go through changes. The best thing about the company are its people but many of the best people are leaving as they realize it's not what it used to be.

Cons

Change for the sake of change. It's good that they constantly add new products but then set unrealistic goals to the new products even if the product is not a good for clients.

Advice to Management

Value your people, seek their feedback, and pay attention to why your best people are all looking for new jobs!

3. "Frankly, I love this place"

Current Employee - Media Consultant in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Media Consultant in Kirkland, WA

Pros

If I'm in the job market looking for an internet company at or near the top of the list, I recommend you consider Idearc. Since the company launched its new/improved vision and product set, we are a much better company. I cant speak to the print side of the company, but on the internet side, we offer solid, industry-leading products and resources, both capital and human, to support them.

I've worked with large and small media companies. This company is nimble like a small company and powerful like a large company. I hope to be here a long time.

Cons

The financial (debt) burden levied on us by Verizon is limiting our ability to grow. However, mission-critical initiatives seem largely uneffected. Though management does solicit the minions for input/feedback, dont know just how well it is received.

Advice to Management

Encourage management to more effectively tap the talent in this organization. Lots of capable folks who could drive initiatives and would welcome the oppportunity.

5. "Company has great potential."

Current Employee - Specialist

Pros

1. Company CEO has a strong vision and plan for the company to succeed
    2. Management supports flexible work schedules and balance of home and work life.

Cons

1. Economic downturn has reduced the quality of medical and dental benefits
    2. No clear career path or professional development plan, however company does support tuition reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Better alignment of company goals and direction across all areas of senior management to better align middle management and staff

"It all a matter of perception, mine is positve and optimistic"

Current Employee - Specialist - Workforce Performance in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Specialist - Workforce Performance in Dallas, TX

Pros

The respect that I have established within the company, the benefits are outstanding, full medical and dental, sup life, etc.
    The career opportunities provided by Idearc have met my needs. The people is my number one reason for working here. What a bunch of characters and just plain good people. From senior management to the receptionists. I have been fortunate to travel to several different locations and have found the aforementioned to be true for all locations.

Cons

My salary is low and the recession is hurting the business. The career path is very narrow if your work outside of the corporate headquarters.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in you employees through onsite and off site training.

7. "Overall good experience working for Idearc Media"

Current Employee - Specialist

Pros

Good working conditions, management team in my immediate area was effective. Good benefits package, they did pay for all 3 of my degrees.

Cons

Company has a tendency to turn and burn their sales reps. Since company was going through bankruptcy, working conditions declined and more was expected for less...as usual. Although they paid for my 3 degrees, they did nothing to try to retain me in the field I trained for.

Advice to Management

The phone book is a depreciating asset. Stop bundling it with the internet products and forcing people to use their advertising dollars there.

8. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Work Life balance
    No politics
    Technical learning

Cons

Not much chances of growth in terms of roles.

9. "What do you people expect?"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

If you work hard, you will make great money. Sales people always want to complaine and make excuses for not performing. The bottom line is, you have great products and a large company to back you. If you put in the time you will be rewarded with good pay and benefits. Also, if you are not happy after a year or two, this is a great company to have on your resume.

Cons

This is an industry that is currently in transition, you must be able to adapt and overcome the objections you are going to get.

Advice to Management

Just be sure that you stay in touch with what is taking place out in the field. Get involved with your salesforce and be aware of what challenges they are facing.