Identity Marketing & Public Relations Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark Winter

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Bingham Farms, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Bingham Farms, MI

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people from top to bottom. Definitely a positive environment with lots of support and open communication, and they're always looking for ways to improve. Runs as smoothly as any agency I've experienced, as they're one of the few that have actually created and refined organizational docs and processes.

Cons

Leadership focus is set up to celebrate the day-to-day media relations work, while other projects and teams can occasionally get left feeling sidelined.

2. "Amazing agency with a bright future ahead"

Current Employee - Account Assistant, Social Media in Bingham Farms, MI
    Current Employee - Account Assistant, Social Media in Bingham Farms, MI

I have been working at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible leadership
    - Diverse portfolio of clients
    - Endless opportunities for creativity
    - Structured professional development plan
    - Open to new and innovative ideas
    - Amazing team with great personalities
    - Work hard, play hard mentality
    - Really cool office space
    - Chances for autonomy at every level
    - Invest in their employees, as well as the latest technology

Cons

- Work capacity stretches from time to time
    - Fast-paced agency life is not for everybody
    - Agency has high expectations

Advice to Management

Management does an amazing job in nearly all regards, and are part of the reason there is virtually zero employee turnover.

Sep 6, 2016 – Director, Digital and Development

Thank you for the feedback regarding your experience working at Identity. We truly appreciate the positive comments about our team members, work environment and leadership.

"Love your career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bingham Farms, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bingham Farms, MI

I have been working at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the first time in my life I have LOVED my job and loved coming to work - and I have enough experience to say that emphatically. Don't get me wrong, it's a ton of work and I definitely put in my time, but it's so rewarding. I am constantly challenged to better both myself and the company, and to always reach for bigger and better things. The partners are always accessible and they have always been completely open and frank with me, whether good or bad. Criticism is constructive, fair, and always open for discussion. There are a ton of great benefits, not just the typical medical and such, but the company supplies snacks/drinks, happy hours, and lots of fun company outings and events as well. We're encouraged to have a work/life balance, so much so that the company gives you extra PTO time during the summer to use to enjoy it! I understand not everyone has the same experience here, but it's fairly easy to tell from the negative reviews which of my former and current coworkers have written them, and I can say that some of the issues they raise may be fair, but some of them also are more factors involving the employee, rather than the employer. There are many of us that have been here 2, 3, 4, or more years that think this is a great place to work. Not everyone has the same personality, nor do they enjoy the same things. Not everyone will love it here, but there's nothing in this world that everyone would love doing. You have to have the right personality and temperament for the job, as well.

Cons

It definitely requires hard work, and sometimes you have to put in extra time. But I find that to be a tradeoff for some of the benefits, and not so much a con.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open; it seems that with some of the people who have left dissatisfied, the communication broke down at some point which exacerbated dissatisfaction.

"Great place if you are a committed and talented professional."

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Bingham Farms, MI
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Bingham Farms, MI

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am very surprised to read some of these reviews. I have been in the PR field for more than 25 years, mostly in agency work, and found Identity to be one of the most inclusive and supportive teams I have ever had the pleasure of joining. That being said, if you are not willing to work hard and fully commit, this is not the place for you. If you are, however, there are great opportunities for growth and challenge.

Cons

Not necessarily a con -- but the culture is very, very young. Something to consider if you are a more experienced professional.

"What doesn't kill you, gets you a better job somewhere else"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bingham Farms, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bingham Farms, MI

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time

Pros

Working at Identity was one of the best learning experiences I could have been offered so early in my career. There is a diverse workload, and ample opportunities to get your feet wet in numerous different industries. They welcome those with a diverse skillset, and quickly throw you into the ring, as you attend client meetings and begin a hefty workload immediately.

There is also a heavy emphasis on company culture. Holiday parties, company picnics, happy hours, and a dozen or so other little treats are part of the day to day at Identity. As an employee you feel spoiled and as if company morale is truly important to the company.

For someone straight out of college, eager to decide if this is the right industry for them, I would recommend spending a year with Identity. Not only is it a great place to dive into the industry, it is also a great place to learn the under belly of office politics.

Cons

After spending some time with the company it became clear to me that the emphasis on company culture was a result of poor morale, which was due to the unethical behavior, and negative treatment of the staff. Promotion and incentive was awarded not by hard work or seniority but rather how well someone liked you. Assignments are divvied up based on who is on upper management’s good side that week. Financial incentives have no barometer and lack consistency. Though they claim to hold a benchmarking system, it means nothing if the men and women who sit on top of the company don’t care for you or on the alternative are threatened by you. In the last year and a half their turnover rate has sky rocketed to over 50% and they are only a company of 25. Those on top are not only willing to stab those beneath them in the back, but also those that sit beside them, which is felt throughout.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to humble yourself enough to realize what is happening around you. Refrain from advising employees to change their friends within the company. Take a moment to look at the great talent you lost, and great talent you risk losing if things continue as is. I wish the company nothing but success in the future, but realize this is highly unlikely as word continues to spread about the reality of the work environment and unethical behavior. Reward based on a true benchmarking system, and not on the daily feelings of those who sit on top. Lastly, realize that when you speak ill of those who come in to interview with your firm, you never know where their connections lie. It’s important not to burn bridges especially when your company is going through a crucial rebirth.

"A great place to learn"

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A young agency with a lot of drive to succeed. I learned a lot working at Identity. They are constantly striving to be the best and deliver top results to their clients.

Cons

Turnover rate is pretty high. Sometimes felt like we didn't have a solid direction...company was always changing direction, but it's still growing and that's not necessarily bad. Just sometimes felt like we were chasing our tails.

May 24, 2016 – Social Media Director

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We truly appreciate the feedback.

"Keep Looking for Other Work"

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time

Pros

Learn an incredible amount due to being thrown into numerous high-profile efforts. Collaboration (often out of necessity) leads to some very exciting ideas and offerings for clients. Insurance. Some really strong, compassionate people (male and female) who care for one another. Snacks and fridge.

Cons

Trickle down blame structure. Gossip, mistrust and credit-taking are rampant. Employees are bad mouthed from feet away while the company sells an Identity 'family' concept; numerous employees who left were trashed on a regular basis for doing so. The billing is absurd. Ask other agencies what they think of the people who work there - the company's reputation is clear. The competition and infighting between departments would be funny if it wasn't at the cost of quality work, client time.

Advice to Management

Start from scratch and admit mistakes were made rather than blame-shifting and having your social media director claim it's the "old" style. Why are reviews from 2013 the same as ones from 2016 if the bad people were weeded out and the company has refreshed its approach to decency?

Aug 18, 2016 – Director, Digital and Development

Thanks for your post. We truly care about and review every piece of feedback we receive. However, we have to respectfully disagree with a lot of your observations about Identity. We’ve ... More

"Great place for passionate, smart people"

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great place to start and grow a career for those passionate about their work in media relations, social media and graphic/digital design. I appreciated the work ethic of the team, the openness to new ideas as well as the support and attention to individual professional growth and development. The "practice area" structure helps employees (especially junior practitioners) focus on honing their skills in one area (PR, social media, creative/design). This intensive approach makes it a great place to learn and be exposed to a variety of industries.

While based in Metro Detroit, the company serves clients and works with media outlets across the country.

It's the only company I've worked for where I truly respected the owners and leadership, and trusted them to act in the best interests of the employees.

Cons

Identity is not for those interested in an easy 9-to-5. The work is intense and it's not a place for excuses. The bar is high.

Some agency pros prefer an environment where they can focus on one industry rather than working on a variety of clients in different industries.

Like any PR agency environment, the work can get chaotic and change (while managed well) is constant.

Aug 5, 2015 – Social Media Director

Thank you for leaving a review about your experience working at Identity. We truly appreciate the positive comments about the work ethic of our team members, our fast-paced environment and strong ... More

"Great Place to Learn What NOT to Do"

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

See first-hand how accounts should NOT be managed; How NOT to bill clients; How NOT to treat colleagues, direct reports, employees; Gain an understanding of what a media strategy is NOT.

Cons

Toxic enviroment if you don't fit their "mold." No consistency and therefore rampant bias that leads to wrongful treatment of employees who don't fit the mold. Opportunities for advancement are slim to none.

"Not a Good Thing"

Pros

Very nice office space, office centrally located in Metro Detroit. Variety of experiences, exposure to lots of industries/individuals. Free snacks.

Cons

Lots and lots and lots of work. Always want more is one of the core values, which truly means you should always work more! Management goes on trends and changes their mind from one minute to the next. Turnover is very high.

Aug 5, 2015 – Social Media Director

Thank you for leaving this review about your time with Identity. We appreciate the positive comments about our creative space, diverse portfolio of clients and great employee perks and benefits ... More