KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Ike CEO Alden Woodrow
Alden Woodrow
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome energy, roadmap and values

Oct 20, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is extremely enthusiastic and invested in the product which really makes you feel that you are working on something valuable, the leadership is great at planning ambitious but achievable goals, there is a lot of cross-functional work so you get good exposure. Above all, Ike cares a great deal about their employees and have addressed the challenges of remote working very well. This combination of work + culture is hard to find anywhere else!!

Cons

No major cons so far. Being a startup, there are a lot of things to work on which can be over-whelming at times (but then is also exciting)

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Challenging work, incredible teammates, competitive comp. What else do you want?

Oct 8, 2020 - Individual Contributor
    Business Outlook

Pros

The real rating is more like 4.5 stars, since nothing is actually perfect. * Great opportunity to work alongside an incredibly talented team. Many have deep experience in the field of autonomous vehicles, while others bring experience from elsewhere. * The work is challenging and relevant to our current times with competition from some very big companies, yet Ike has still distinguished itself with a focus on long-term thinking and development. * Compensation is competitive, at least for a start-up, without needing to account for equity. * Leadership is very introspective and honest about shortcomings. They seem committed to soliciting honest feedback from the team and using that to address shortcomings.

Cons

I'll list some cons for balance, while noting that leadership has actively recognized all of these issues and is working to correct them (see Pro above). * There is some tendency toward information silos, and lack of transparency in decision making. This has been amplified by work-from-home. * Ike is committed to long-term thinking and building things right the first time. This has worked out very well, however it can mean long stretches of time without seeing a meaningful impact from your work. This can be challenging for morale when expectations are not communicated well. * There's a lack of clarity on career growth within the company, in terms of what opportunities are available and how to pursue them.

Ike Response

Head of People

Thank you for posting such a thoughtful review! The cons are right in line with some of what we heard in our last engagement pulse and we're sharing action items at our all hands tomorrow about career growth, communication silos, and building better distributed team practices. Will think about the long-term nature of our work and how we balance the challenge of that with setting clearer expectations, doing more to connect work to impact, and celebrating more wins along the way. Great feedback. Thank you!

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Inspiring vision, fun projects, genuine people

Sep 14, 2020 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The alignment across the whole team is astounding. We all know what we're building and why it matters. This makes work really fun because we're all rowing in the same direction. - The people at Ike genuinely care about each other and have lots of respect for one another. Meetings often start with quick catch-ups or fun banter. - Many of the employees are experts in their respective fields, which makes Ike a great place to learn and grow. People are very generous with knowledge.

Cons

- Progress might sometimes feel too slow for some folks, since Ike takes a very long term view and celebrates incremental progress on goals over quick hacky demos.

4. 5.0

Great culture and Tough Problems

Oct 20, 2020 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

+Culture around having laser sharp focus to solve the many not-trivial technical problems + Encourages work/life balance, supports personal and professional growth + Co-workers are easily to get a hold of (esp during remote work due to COVID) and have a genuine interest in getting to know everyone + Transparency in corporate decision making is a huge plus so you know where the ship is going even if you aren't steering + A focus on Diversity and Inclusion from early on

Cons

- A long haul experience, the fruits of your labor won't be realized until later down the line (and that isn't for everyone but if it isn't a bummer for you, then Ike is a great place to be)

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Proven business model, rapid technical progress, and excellent culture

Sep 3, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Arguably, the strongest team pursuing automated trucks from the co-founders to the new grad hires. Much of the team has successfully built similar technologies and businesses in the past. -Validated product-market fit with impressive customer and partner list -Highly experienced leadership team, which has led to disciplined growth strategy, long-term investments in building a strong brand and culture, and proven ability to execute on ambitious commercial and technical goals -Strong emphasis on finding balance (e.g. generous open PTO policy, parent friendly policies and benefits, exceptionally considerate managers) -Visionary co-founding team

Cons

-Although a supportive place to work, we hold each other to very high standards. This could be a challenging adjustment for some people. -Fewer "flashy" amenities compared to other startups. For example, you're unlikely to ever see a sushi bar or extravagant holiday parties at Ike.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Focused on the long term

Sep 14, 2020 - Biz Ops in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

A focused and continual effort to : +deepen and broaden the diverse experiences and backgrounds of the team +provide employees with the work/life balance they need, especially in COVID + Fires +be family friendly - lots of support and understanding for those with new challenges on the home front; partners welcome at all Ike functions +create trust and psychological safety that is pervasive and starts on day 1

Cons

Ike is still a startup which means: -resource constraints for nonessential items / tasks (no barista) -career progression is not regimented - no set corporate ladder to climb -a consistent and demanding pace for continuous improvement and progress Many see these as pro's, myself included, but these can be a barrier for some and an adjustment.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

I like Ike especially the inviting culture

Jan 8, 2020 - Autonomous Vehicle Operator in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

First of all they move quickly in the screening and hiring process which is an essential component for job/opportunity seekers. After you arrive everyone in the company engages you. (they want to hear your story and they actually listen) I have been here three days and I am still meeting new folks. They give you a road map to success. They verbally outline what your new steps are as a new hire and they give you a written template so you can be methodical in your execution of the many steps it takes to complete the new hire process. I will not "just" be a driver. I will be offering input and leveraging my 30 years of commercial vehicle operations experience to make a safe and useful product that will offer a better work life balance of other conventional commercial vehicle operators. The folks are friendly and nurturing. I am an underrepresented demographic in the tech industry and I have been calling my underrepresented friends to check out Ike. If you want to be/feel included I encourage you to check out Ike. The vibe is like no other I have ever felt and it is a good feeling.

Cons

I wish I had found them sooner as I have been getting rejection letters from several other firms. Full disclosure I have 30 years experience in commercial transportation and no undergraduate degree so I was unable to get a job other than operating a commercial vehicle. There are no actual CONS with Ike.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Incredible culture, great team, big ambitions

Jul 31, 2020 - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Truly excellent team - super smart, some of the best in the biz, but everyone so humble and kind Great culture - we have something really special, lots of transparency, accountability, celebration, laughter, goofiness, and learning Top notch leaders - smart, experienced, approachable, level-headed, great motivators Huge product and market ambitions - we are going to do something massive that is unparalleled

Cons

Had to slow down because of covid - that was frustrating but we have a clear path forward. Would have been more fun to keep going at the speed we were at pre-covid. Also challenging to be building a product that's still in R&D and not in the hands of users - hopefully soon

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company, Need More Folx!

Oct 13, 2020 - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teams are bursting with talent and capability without sacrificing inclusive mentalities. Leadership regularly demonstrate how they care about ikons and our culture by creating and acting on a strategy/roadmap catered to what we need as a company in the present and future, with structured and informal opportunities for feedback. Best I've seen in 15+ years in industry by a great margin. There are so many puns built into the working norms of this company.

Cons

Work/life balance for people associated with supporting the fleet can be nonexistent at times, and this burden is allocated to only a few people, who are also leading design efforts.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing team & laser focussed development

Sep 21, 2020 - Senior Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Fun, diverse & professional team. Wonderful group of people with wide range of experience and backgrounds. - Laser focussed on the product. Long term planning with stable goals and objectives. No short term distractions or shortcuts. - Healthy respect for the magnitude of the challenge of automating trucking. - High engineering quality - Systems engineering driven development at the core since the start and embraced by all . Amazing place to be as a systems engineer.

Cons

Pressure can be high at times.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 42 Reviews