Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy Reviews | Glassdoor

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy Reviews

2.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Special Programs Instructor"

Former Contractor - Special Subject Instructor in Aurora, IL
    Former Contractor - Special Subject Instructor in Aurora, IL

I worked at Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced and energetic! A lot of fun teaching to diverse group of academically gifted students in a day-camp environment designed to introduce possible future students to IMSA. Very friendly staff, aides, and students!

Cons

Daily schedules often changed without notice presenting challenges to lesson plans and continual interruptions to classroom time; however, we learned to “roll” with it!

Advice to Management

Leadership of camps were assigned to junior staff members, some of whom had harder time than others with making decisions and sticking to a schedule. This caused communication problems between teachers and other staff members because it was never clear whose directions we were supposed to follow regarding the daily schedule as we would receive mixed messages so often from the program directors and the staff whom they would have in charge each week. Other than that, everything else was pretty good!

"Under new president quality and satisfaction dropping quickly."

Current Employee - Director in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great students and passionate people who truly want to do great work. So much potential to be a changing force in education.

Cons

During a state budget crisis the quality of work has dropped dramatically. New president is difficult to work for. Turnover since he started has topped 30%.

Advice to Management

Select a new president.

"Great teaching opportunity, can be better."

Current Employee - Educator in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Educator in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy full-time

Pros

The kids are truly wonderful. My students are consistently challenging, There is a new principal this year.

Cons

I guess I would sum it up by saying that I do not feel the same level of unity I felt among teachers at my previous high school. IMSA feels more like a college in that departments are divided by subject areas,

Advice to Management

Build unity across departments by creating co-teaching opportunities, maybe rotating teachers from other disciplines into classes to promote integrated teaching. It would be cool to do this on a regular basis to give our students a one of a kind learning experience.