Illumina Reviews in Cambridge, East of England, England | Glassdoor

Illumina Cambridge Reviews

Updated November 8, 2017

Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

3.8
Illumina President & CEO Francis deSouza
Francis deSouza

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pretty good flexibility in our work helps with work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• You get to work in an a very fast paced ecosystem where everyone is completely dedicated to the same values and the overall goal of the company (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is always a concern (in 53 reviews)

• Extremely fast paced environment with lot of quick changes in direction -- not for everyone (in 26 reviews)

"A company that cares about its folks!!!"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the company, mission, values, teams and culture. Down to earth and very collaborative - not political. This is a generous company that cares and supports the employees at every level.

Cons

There are always cons to a company that is growing and you can't have everything in life. We could however learn to keep things simple. There is some sentiment of being treated unfairly but I don't think that is fair.

Advice to Management

Please "love" everyone, not just the few :). This is a top company and would love to keep it this way.

2. "Setting the mark"

Current Employee - Like to Keep Confidential in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Good EMEA leadership with a strong collaborative environment and very little hierarchy. Out of the box thinking with a very intelligent workforce. A very smart company.

Cons

No real concerns - it's a growing company with double digit growth so will have teething pains so middle management gets all the negative feedback due to individual contributors failing to understand that somethings are outside of their hands and senior management not understanding the woes of middle management.Has begun to feel like big brother is watching.

Advice to Management

Keep going the way you are but be careful not to forget investment in back office functions and please have some appreciation for them.

"Could be better"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

San Diego leadership is awesome. Nice location if you live locally to Cambridge, nice people, team environment with a strong outlook. It is worth a risk joining the company at least in the short term.
    Customer Solutions and Sales Leaders are awesome.

Cons

UK leadership - driven but uncaring. HR Operations can do much, much better - gatekeeper to progression, non-approachable folk, clique mentality. Compensation and Benefits are focussed on cost cutting.

Advice to Management

Don't give HR that much power. Think about treating the regions equally to AMR.

Dec 4, 2017 – HR

Thank you for sharing your feedback and your concerns. We recognize that we have room to grow in acting as a more global company and ensuring that there is equal representation from all of our... More

4. "Not a laggard"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- solid EMEA leadership
    - strong backup functions
    - all for the well being on the workforce
    - creative, collaborative and positive atmosphere

Cons

- Can do better by not forming cliques at a leadership level
    - Senior Managers/Associate Directors have little scope to progress outside of Commercial
    - Commercial do get all promotions - what about other divisions??????

Advice to Management

- Compensation & Benefits need to get real and be less data driven
    - Appreciate the lean middle management not just by words
    - Our opinion is neutral as there is little scope for non-commercial functions

Dec 4, 2017 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback, both what’s going well and where we could improve. I’d like to connect with you so we can discuss and share ideas and concerns... More

5. "Mixed picture from the lesser dominions of the Illumina empire"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good team atmosphere and great products being made.
    The company is doing great things and on the right road to change the future of healthcare.
    Good pension and share schemes

Cons

Not being in HQ you sometimes feel like a lesser employee (both in responsibilities and basic pay, which is significantly below US) .
    Don’t expect your career to go above a certain level if not based in the US.
    R&D feels very lean compared to other areas.
    High pressure to release products in unrealistic timescales for poorly resourced projects.
    Lots of praise goes to marketing and sales rather than R&D teams who have slogged for months to meet deadlines.

Advice to Management

Share management to areas outside of HQ. If people in the UK can be managed by those in the US, it can work both ways, otherwise very capable people will leave.
    Pay and benefits should be reassessed in the Cambridge area to remain competitive with influx of companies and rising living costs. If people can be paid less in the UK, why can't we expand the teams here rather than pay large salaries in San Diego and Bay area. This would allow teams to have a critical mass in the UK, deliver products quicker and give people enough development opportunities within Illumina.

"Good People"

Current Employee - Senior Manager - Commercial in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great teams, leadership is OK.

Cons

Not good with promotions. Only the commercial division gets these.
    G&A, R&D are very lean. Europe and APJ & Australia don't have a seat on the HR and Finance table. Also treated as "stupid".
    Centralised decision making which is filtered down but not effectively.

Advice to Management

Don't have inequity in the regions - be fair. You will lose talent as a result and that is not good for our business. Stop Compensation & Benefits division retarding growth of talent. Our competitors are paying much better than us no matter what the Compensation division says so don't expect talent to stay.

7. "Great vision, sometimes confused execution"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ground breaking technology output, great people, opportunities

Cons

Good at products but much less good at process, no clarity on progression and moderate focus on development only

Advice to Management

Need to sort out informatics and deliver in time with competition

8. "Very fast moving"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great and smart people, plenty of training and social activities, no micro management

Cons

Lack of training implementation and direction - it is often assumed that the employees know how to proceed themselves. The company is growing so fast that there is often miscommunication or lack of it between the teams.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work but do not forget the basics of teaching how to do things

9. "Illumina Ltd - Granta site"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fast-paced - always something new
    perfect for employees who love change
    exciting technology and applications - mission of the company is inspiring
    looking forward to full clinical engagement

Cons

working tools and process are not adequate to size of company and efficiency of work
    too many manual steps - time-consuming and prone to error
    clinical transformation seems to stall
    lack of investment for better processes

Advice to Management

give us better tools for the job
    keep good work of good communication by upper management

Apr 17, 2017 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and how we can continue to improve! We’re glad to hear that you find the fast pace and constant change exciting, and feel an inspiring... More

"Good company, slow career development"

Pros

The company has large global impact and its products serve a good cause: to improve human health. The base salary and benefits are good. The employees are talented and mostly humble and polite.

Cons

Most projects require communication across sites that on the two sides of the Atlantic and this can be challenging. Career development can be slow.

Advice to Management

Mostly good work so far. But with the quick expansion comes also more responsibility to keep everyone motivated and make them feel that they are useful for the company's mission.