Illumina Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 13, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance, if you put in the effort to make it so" (in 41 reviews)

• "fast paced environment where you can learn a lot" (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is good but more telecommuting options would help" (in 58 reviews)

• "Dynamic fast paced environment is sometimes hectic" (in 37 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Move Fast and Embrace Change"

Current Employee - Senior QA Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a very fast moving company constantly innovating and changing. I know many companies say this in their values, but here you'll feel it every day. No two years are the same, no two months are the same. Everyone is collaborating towards the same end vision; to unlock the power of the genome, to transform healthcare and beyond. It's dynamic and very meaningful. I find it very motivating to know the work we're doing is improving thousands of lives today, and millions in the future!

Cons

The Pros can also be Cons if it's not a good fit culturally. Someone who needs a regular routine or struggles with the undefined would not align well at Illumina. Because the company is pushing the limits of what's possible, and doing things no one in history has done, there is a lot of undefined gray areas. This can be a pro if one likes charting their own course. If an employee is looking for a more defined and routine culture, this is not a good fit.

Advice to Management

Continue the improvement on prioritization. There can't be many number 1 priorities. Forced ranking could be a useful tool to hash out relative priorities. Great trend here already, but still more to do.

"Mission driven every step of the way"

Current Employee - Engineer I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture prioritizes framing the work we do in terms of its potential impact on global health above fiscal goals
    - Challenging, fast-paced projects that allow individual contributors the freedom to contribute new ideas
    - Fantastic campuses filled with amenities that allow you to recharge quickly throughout the fast-paced workdays here
    - Management works to be more transparent each day and doesn’t shy away from tough questions
    - Surprisingly flexible regarding time off/day-to-day needs given the amount of work that gets done on short timelines
    - Positive movement towards emphasizing diversity and career development in the past year

Cons

- Transitioning from being a contractor to a full-time employee was awkward because as a contractor you aren’t included in events early in your time here that are crucial in building friendships and camaraderie
    - Though I mentioned the positive progress here above, diversity and representation in the technical side of the company is still an issue—we are revolutionizing human health and need diverse perspectives to avoid biasing our impact

Advice to Management

- If we can’t move away from a contractor-to-hire system, at least work on building them into the community more effectively
    - As Illumina grows in notoriety and success, use our influence to help steer the field of genomics in a direction that ensures all have access to our technology, not just those who can pay top dollar

"Engineer II"

Current Employee - Engineer II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible time off
    Able to move up in career ladder if proactive with communication with manager
    Many intelligent people that are willing to help even if they are super busy. Collaborative environment. Coworkers are genuinely nice people.

Cons

You need to be able to balance many different tasks at one time. This company is fast paced, there is no room for deadwood. I have seen many contractors go because they are either incompetent or cannot fit in with company culture.

4. "Even better than expected"

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've got more than a decade of senior management experience in international roles at Fortune 100 companies. My first 2 months at Illumina has been outstanding; the company and culture is even better than my research had indicated.

Cons

There is very little to improve/change that isn't already in progress.

5. "Unknown"

I have been working at Illumina (Less than a year)

Pros

Best culture ever, cutting-edge technology, Dynamic

Cons

Limited resources, inefficiency, aggressive deadline which prevents to do a quality job and prevent s scientist to do a better job to deepen their understanding .

6. "Still excited to work here!"

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

I've been at the company for a few years now and I'm still excited about what we are creating and how I am treated.
    -Products are cutting edge and impacting humanity.
    -Continuously looking to improve themselves but updating benefits (flexible time off, 2 - week long company shut downs, upgrades to facility)
    -Opportunity for advancement and support from management

Cons

To be honest not a lot of cons . . . My only advice is to be in control of your career. If you don't have what you need, build a business case for it . . . if you want to develop yourself explain to your manager what you need or ask a mentor for advice.
    People are willing to help you whenever you need it even when they are super busy but you have to be proactive and seek it out . . so not really a con to me.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Continue to evolve . . .continue to take chances . . . continue making this a great place to work and continue creating products that impacts humanity.

"Salary too low"

Current Employee - Process Engineer II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have recently been offered the Process engineer II at illumina. While the company is great with regard to the science, I have lots of problems with working for them.

Cons

Salary is very low. I applied for scientist I in R&D, they offered me a position as process engineer II!!!!! Salary is so low for someone with PhD and postdoc... This company is very stingy.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Integrations Research Associate II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Integrations Research Associate II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working here is just about everyone is so incredibly intelligent, hard-working, and passionate about doing their best. I learn something new every single day, both from my projects and from my coworkers.

Benefits are awesome, including Flexible Time Off (unlimited time off, with encouragement to actually use it), full health care, on-site gym, 401K/Roth IRA options, stock options, organized sports/competitions, etc.

The company cares a lot about it's reputation in a good way, and is constantly looking for ways to improve employee programs, offerings, and services. There is a huge push for giving back to the local community and promoting STEM education, and employees are given 16 hours of volunteer time off a year.

Plenty of food options, including a healthy and locally-sourced on-site cafe, daily food trucks, multiple coffee/snack bars, and daily shuttles to the nearby mall/food court. Weekly/monthly on-site dry-cleaner, barber, and farmers market.

Company meetings are usually prefaced with a networking happy hour (with free drinks/snacks).

Plenty of commuting options, including a commuter program that encourages alternative transportation (vanpools, carpooling, walk/biking to work, shuttles from the nearby train stations).Tons of on-site Level 1 and Level 2 electric vehicle charging stations. Tons of parking spaces on campus.

Management treats employees like adults, and employees are empowered to set their own hours and schedule (accommodating meetings, of course) to achieve their own work-life balance.

Cons

International office locations and cross-site conference calls some times mean early mornings and late nights.

Cross-site collaboration is pushed, but some time leads to project delays due to time zone, communication, and work style differences.

Once in a while someone gets hired that isn't a right fit for the company (negative, pessimistic, depressing/frustrating to work with, complains rather than problem solves), and the process to transition them out of the company can be short since management is so set on bringing out the best in everyone. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, job-security-wise, but can be a frustrating process for the rest of the team.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome. Your focus on happy employees really does promote a return of great work.

9. "Software Engineering Intern"

Pros

Was integrated into the team very quickly

Cons

Did not receive specific project to work on, or specific accomplishment to take away.

"Happiness may depend on department"

Current Employee - QC Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - QC Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission statement, collaborative start-up type atmosphere, a company that takes care of its employees

Cons

Job satisfaction may depend on your department and your management, difficult to move vertically or laterally across departments, competitive culture at times unhealthy or detrimental to group success

Advice to Management

The company as a whole is great at empowering their employees and ensuring the employees are proud to work at the company, however, the management in certain departments makes it difficult for anyone to move ahead or onto other departments. The company culture is competitive by nature, which for the most part is great for growth, but at times comes at the detriment to the individual's job satisfaction. It's great to push your employees to the best of their ability, but don't break them!