Illumina Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Illumina President & CEO Francis deSouza
Francis deSouza

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pretty good flexibility in our work helps with work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Innovative and fast paced environment (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is always a concern (in 51 reviews)

• Illumina is fast-paced and there are many days with long hours (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Reseach Associate 2"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Everyone is incredibly friendly, smart, and approachable
    Co-workers and managers really care about your well-being
    Managers care about your career aspirations and recognize company goals is to create new innovative technology so they encourage new ideas and increased responsibility
    Hard work is recognized (within teams and company wide)
    It's clear CEO and Board members value their employees between programs offered, policies implemented, as well as interviews they give
    Company values are not just posted on the walls they are talked about on a daily basis and kept in mind with every project
    Lots of opportunities to branch out and meet other people in the company with other departments
    Lots of amenities
    Fast paced and meaningful work

Cons

Deadlines come quickly and priorities are constantly changing- not for someone who does not like change

2. "Production Maintenance Technician"

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Awesome place to work. My manager is very flexible with my time and allows opportunities to train and learn things outside the scope of my current job profile.

The team is great to work with and everybody has different skills that allow me to have instant access to someone who may be help me if I have a difficult piece of equipment to repair.

Relationship between engineers and technician is great. I never get the sense the aren't listening to me like I do at other places I have worked.

Cons

Some of the instruments are challenging to work with due to little or no documentation. There is a lot of OJT.

Heavy workload on a daily basis and overtime is often necessary

Advice to Management

Hire more people

3. "Great place"

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, fast growing company

Cons

Some managers do not have enough training on how to run the department, some only there are also some great experience managers.

4. "Great Place to Work (At least from an Intern's Perspective)"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA

Pros

Friendly People, Exciting Work, Beautiful Campus, Gym, Basketball/Volleyball Courts, There always seems to be stuff going on, Company sponsored events with free food/beer, So many cool perks,

Cons

It's really easy to work overtime,

5. "Poor planning strategy and management"

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great colleagues to work with overall. Most people who I work with are very sharp, agreeable, and supportive.
    - The reputation of Illumina makes a strong record on the resume.
    - Good networking environment

Cons

- Illumina still has a very inefficient staff structure, where people who work on the same project/production line report to different managers in different departments. It’s very difficult to drive changes or improvement, since it takes significant amount of efforts to get other people’s time and have other managers on board. It often becomes extremely difficult to clarify roles and responsibilities, so a lot of engineers are doing jobs that have nothing to do with engineering.
    - Poor planning strategy and this often leads to tremendous chaos to complete the requests. Upper management often comes up with unrealistic timelines and requirements without appropriate resources. Very poor work-life balance due to this.
    - Management loves to spend a massive amount of time on meetings yet not making substantial decisions. And, often time, there is no transparency how decisions are made since they’re made offline.
    - The environment becomes highly political. Even with the requests from mid-level managers, it’s still extremely difficult to have upper management to grant resources. Managers pick favorite and not all employees are treated fairly based on their contribution. People are often stuck in under-qualified job with routine work. Most attention/resources are drawn to brown nosers.
    - Very high turnover rate in the department that I’m in. There are a lot of instances where a single person holds all the required skill sets and is unable to delegate responsibilities to other people due to the lack of resources. There is normally no time to bring another people up to speed. While these people left the company, it creates a huge vacuum since the knowledge is often not transferred properly.

6. "Managers not chosen carefully"

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Illumina is a generally a good company, pays well and has an open office layout that allows people to collaborate at all levels.

Cons

Manager doesn't have the skills for managing people or resources. Shortly after starting was required to cover an additional position (no previous experience with that role) for weeks and months at a time. The manager had no regard for and ignored the stress and pressure the situation caused.
    Company wide, too many unrealistic deadlines without proper resource planning.

Advice to Management

Get more project managers across all sites and increase resource planning. Choose potential managers carefully taking into consideration their relationships with other departments and their personalities.

7. "Once-in-a-lifetime company"

Current Employee - Associate Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team: high -caliber, motivated employees
    Collaboration: open and encouraging of counterpoint of views to get to the best outcome
    Mission: most important mission of any company I am aware of

Cons

Time to do quality work - pulled in many directions due to the urgency of the mission and the speed of innovation

Advice to Management

Institute regular and consistent Leadership Training for mid-level management - people leave managers, not companies. Help your leaders help their teams.

8. "Great Collaborations and People"

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company mission to improve human health is motivating and fulfilling. Smart people and teams push you to do your best

Cons

Company growth is not always well managed and can cause chaos. Company loves to implement systems that don't always deliver on their promises. Site amenities differ widely.

"Challenging and satisfying work."

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The meaningful work done there will shape the future of health care. It's a mix of all the things you could ask for in a company. Meaningful work, potential for career growth, great people to work with and openness to try new things.

Cons

Due to the potential impact we can make to people's lives there are many motivated, talented people who demand your A game. Come ready to do your best.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. The ever evolving benefits and direction of the company keeps employees engaged and excited for the next thing. Great potential to do amazing things.

"Just a cog in the corporate wheel"

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-technology and mission make you proud to work there
    -very sharp coworkers
    -really impressed with new the CEO (Francis) and his ACTUAL committment to increasing diversity at the upper management level of the company
    -there are some great teams in the company, but varies by group

Cons

-terrible middle management, lie about advancement opportunities at hire
    -feels very corporate and raises/promotions are very hard to come by
    -internal movement only possible if your management doesn't try to sabotage your chances

Advice to Management

Get your story straight and stop making promises you have no intention on keeping. Stop trying to push your own agenda to get ahead and instead lead so that the whole team gets ahead. Listen to your employees and actually do something instead of just trying to check off a box for your personal goals.

Illumina Response

Aug 29, 2017 – HR

Thank you for sharing your experience. I appreciate that you see us making strides in ensuring we have a diverse senior leadership team, and it’s encouraging that you’re working with sharp team... More