What people are saying about Illumina
Laid off 3 months ago. Trying to make career pivot as I've been struggling with securing interviews in either finance or tech. Got 2+ years software engineering BI analytics experience. Wiling to have a coffee chat/exchange resume & LI profile. Appreciate all the advice/tip/referrals available. Below are the companies I'm interested. Walgreens/Anthem Inc/BD/Illumina Marriott International/MGM Resorts International
Got a burning question about Illumina? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Illumina employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "People are great and the energy in the halls is infectious." (in 223 reviews)
- "The benefits are great and the work is beyond interesting." (in 204 reviews)
- "Fast moving company and great culture" (in 130 reviews)
- "Good work life balance" (in 82 reviews)
- "Campus is beautiful and centrally located." (in 75 reviews)
- "Poor management in Prototype Services department" (in 85 reviews)
- "Managers don't really manage their teams" (in 50 reviews)
- "Low salary compared to other companies in the same industry for similar positions." (in 49 reviews)
- "Upper management is afraid of firing people who do not perform at a decent level, no accountability." (in 35 reviews)
- "Some of the senior leadership (C" (in 33 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Illumina and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Found 1,956 of over 2K reviews
Updated Sep 23, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0Sep 13, 2023QC Senior ScientistCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsSan Diego, CA
The company culture is open and inclusive with great compensation and interaction.
Lots of favoritism in the department that needs to be noted by executive leadership
- 3.0Aug 5, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 5 years
Great people! There is an incredible amount of teamwork and collaboration within teams. Dynamic environment. The company shutdowns are a huge perk! Having holiday pay for the week of the 4th of July AND the time between Xmas Eve and New Year's Day is my most favorite benefit the organization offers. It's great to take a week off and not have to come back to 2 weeks' worth of work, as compared to a normal vacation taken at any other time of the year.
Highly matrixed environment which results in frequent communication issues and competing priorities. Collaboration across departments can be challenging due to not fully identifying the key stakeholders and/or not sharing information as freely as it should be. This results in a lot of firefighting around emergent issues, and leads to a work-life balance that is quite poor in many areas of the business. Recently, there have been cuts to benefits and multiple rounds of layoffs. The fact that there didn't appear to be any layoffs at the VP or SVP levels continues to reinforce distrust of the executive leadership team. This suggests to employees that the lower levels of the organization must pay for the poor decisions made by upper-level management.21
Illumina Reviews FAQs
Illumina has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 2,268 reviews left anonymously by employees. 68% of employees would recommend working at Illumina to a friend and 49% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -8% over the last 12 months.
68% of Illumina employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Illumina 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.