Illumina Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Illumina President & CEO Francis deSouza
Francis deSouza

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pretty good flexibility in our work helps with work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• You get to work in an a very fast paced ecosystem where everyone is completely dedicated to the same values and the overall goal of the company (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is always a concern (in 52 reviews)

• Extremely fast paced environment with lot of quick changes in direction -- not for everyone (in 26 reviews)

1. "Illumina laboratory staff"

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Good bunch of people who get along well

Cons

People often stay late to work

Advice to Management

More opportunities needed for those at the bottom - be clear in mapping potential progression path/s

2. "An amazing journey"

Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rapidly-innovating technology with huge potential to benefit human health.
    Strong corporate culture, with huge buy-in to the mission of the organization
    Opportunities for personal and professional growth

Cons

An SAP-based system used for document tracking and training is a big fly in the ointment - it is hurting quality, creating a "flight risk" for employees, and may cripple the company if it's not replaced.

Advice to Management

Eliminate SAP PLM as soon as possible. It's broken; the attempts to fix it have failed. Don't wait for more employees to quit over it. Don't wait for an auditor to poke enough to find that the training compliance that involves PLM is largely fiction.

3. "It's slightly addictive to work at Illumina"

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Illumina's technology has enabled groundbreaking discoveries in both healthcare and basic biology. It is truly inspirational, meaningful and deeply satisfying to be part of this journey.

Working with highly talented and dedicated people in a collaborative manner brings out the best in everyone.

A fast-paced work environment and frequent changes can become slightly addictive; not sure if this is a 'pro' or a 'con' but I like it!

Cons

Illumina is perceived as a cutting-edge company due to our technologies. However, some of our internal processes have struggled to keep pace due to our continued, exceptional success and growth. This leads to a discordance between how we are perceived externally and what we do internally. This comes as a bit of a shock to many new employees if their expectations haven't been managed properly during the hiring phase.

Lack of processes sometimes lead to lack of guidelines and you can end up in a "no one could tell me how to do this task but when I got it wrong I was yelled at" scenario. This does happen quite a bit at Illumina, but in my personal opinion I would rather have great responsibilities and fail sometimes rather than having to navigate a strict set of rules.

Benefits seem mostly aimed at office-based people, not quite on par with what is being offered elsewhere in the industry when it comes to field-based/remote workers.

I love working at Illumina, but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend because it is a tough job. Amazing, but tough... Not everyone is cut out for this kind of work environment.

Advice to Management

Be as flexible as you expect your employees to be.

"Awesome culture but absence of career development and advancement."

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission, which is to unlock the power of the genome to improve human health, is inspiring.

Cons

Absence of career development and advancement while there. Lost employment due to job elimination.

Advice to Management

More mentorship needed.

5. "Software Engineer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Illumina as a contractor

Pros

Illumina produces cutting edge scientific equipment that is used for novel research in biology and medicine. There are very interesting tasks and challenges, uncommon in "regular" software development.

Cons

Illumina is not a software company. Its internal software development processes are either chaotic or heavyweight. And there is no single standard software stack or platform, so you'll likely be on your own.

Advice to Management

Focus on software quality, BaseSpace is _still_ an embarrassment.

6. "Lab Assistant"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Illumina as a contractor

Pros

Surrounded by intelligent individuals with positive attitudes. Great work environment.

Cons

Conversion to full-time or advancement opportunities

7. "Great Collaborations and People"

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company mission to improve human health is motivating and fulfilling. Smart people and teams push you to do your best

Cons

Company growth is not always well managed and can cause chaos. Company loves to implement systems that don't always deliver on their promises. Site amenities differ widely.

8. "Business System Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dynamic Environment, Good employee welfare

Cons

Not much career growth, not much job exposure

9. "Good working environment and satisfying job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Working environment is definitely one great plus here. You get exposed to so many things and people are always ready to extend their help. Job is challenging here, but you will derive satisfaction from work if you love learning and always push yourself for the best.

Cons

It's a very fast-paced environment, so if you are new, you could get a little overwhelmed.

Illumina Response

Aug 29, 2017 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re glad that you’ve found Illumina to be a positive environment, and that the work you do is both challenging and rewarding.
    We are looking... More

10. "Very good intern events"

Current Intern - Embedded Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Intern - Embedded Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina as an intern

Pros

Some very useful intern event including senior patio, resume review and business case challenge etc.

Cons

Unlikely to get a clear response for converting to full-time if graduating next year