Illumina Reviews | Glassdoor

Illumina Reviews

Updated January 13, 2017

Pros
  • Friendly fast paced work environment (in 40 reviews)

• Pretty good flexibility in our work helps with work life balance (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is always a concern (in 48 reviews)

• No work-life balance at current staffing levels (in 10 reviews)

"Fast paced and exciting"

Pros

Culture is phenomenal. Everyone wants to help the company succeed. People are very friendly and the work is extremely rewarding. Perks offered are terrific.

Cons

Work Life Balance is challenging. Too many priorities and not enough prioritization. Management needs to recognize that growth has to be sustained through hiring more people not just through overloading the existing population.

"IA - no one is driving the bus"

I worked at Illumina full-time

Pros

It is a lovely facility. During the interview I found it refreshing that they were more concerned with practical skills and experience. This is a big change from the majority of companies that are more concerned with degrees and licenses that would have been obtained decades ago even though they are asking for an "experienced" employee. Yes, I have a Master's Degree in the field, but not the trendy license!.

Cons

I was interviewed by the 4 people in the IA department, but only worked for one and she had absolute control over what was done to me. This includes firing me for completing a project that when she gave it to me she openly stated she did not know how to do it or where to get the information. There was not any recourse or even any warning I was about to be fired. No one looked at what she did. She was just allowed to act as a spoiled child.

I was under a woman who was in over her head. I was hired as a contractor to take some of the workload off her. I have extensive experience in this area so it did not seem to be a problem to me. It soon became clear she did not understand her job and was going to lash out at anyone who was a threat to her, i.e. know how to do the job. She got to the point where she spent many late night hours (seen on the emails) finding completely ridiculous, petty things for me to change on my work. I made the changes for her without saying a word.

Upon completion I offered to walk her through the project she had told me she did not know how to do. Since it was complex and contained a lot of information it is not easy for anyone to follow. She immediately accused me of insufficient documentation and refused to listen to anything I had to say. In 2 days I had 5 different versions of the spreadsheet from her. She was not even looking at the most recent version I had which was available to her at any time. Clearly she was more interested in picking at it.

Since she refused to accept that I knew anything, she got the person who did the project last year to review mine. She kept insisting last year was "easy" to understand and very consistent so I should just do it like it was done last year. On several occasions I tried to explain to her why this did not work. She was unable to discuss any of it. They, my supervisor and the person who did the project last year, decided to limit me to certain screen shots on the software because they did not know what many of mine were and did not bother to ask or read the explanations/documentation. When they decided to gang up on me for 2+ hours to "show me how to do it", the numbers did not work in the formula they required me to use! We all sat there and saw it. I was then told to use an alternate method and just explain to the auditors what I did when the formula did not fit the back up. Clearly their numbers and "consistent/easy to understand" system did not work. I was about to find out I was going to be held responsible for last year's work being less than consistant.

I went in the next day and began to work on other samples of this test. I believed I had found a way to give her something she could understand as well as make the numbers work as I needed them to do with the formula they required me to use. I will not give numbers that do not work. If the incorrect numbers/documentation were discovered I would clearly and rightfully be responsible for unacceptable work. She did not speak to me the next day. How childish can you be? I worked all day coming up with the new system and combining all the spreadsheet versions she had created. Sat, the next day I received a call from the recruiter saying they claimed I could not take constructive criticism and was fired. No one in the dept. did anything. It seems she was not required to ask anyone before firing me and/or no one thought it reasonable to ask me what was happening or look at my work. Why interview me when you are going to let her be the immature and incompetent person she is and take it out on whoever you all hired? Clearly maturity and competence are not required for a position in this company.

"Back-breaking and Soul-crushing"

Former Employee - Just Another Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Just Another Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They actually paid pretty well. I was even told once that there was some concern that I might have been getting paid too much. Lot's of pretty, young folks.

Cons

Back-breaking work. Unrealistic expectations. No real chance to forge any lasting relationships. Horrible communication. Horrible HR. Projects are *extremely* well-guarded. Preference is definitely given to the younger, more attractive women. Expect to deal with a senior management staff more concerned about popularity, politics, and extra-curricular relationships than with actual production.

Advice to Management

Don't terminate someone the very next day (without any written reason) when they bring up possible non-compliance with FDA regulations.

"Treat Employees Poorly"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Illumina's stock price has been rapidly increasing the last ten years. They are well placed in the sequencing market and have an opportunity to lead the diagnostic sequencing market for years to come.

Cons

Illumina asks a lot from employees and offers very little in return. Illumina's stock price has done very well over the past few years which allows management to neglect all other aspects of compensation. As long as the stock price continues to rise upper management will be able to get away with mistreating their employees. A lot of good people have recently left.

Advice to Management

Not everyone cares about stock options.

"Profoundly Disappointing"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice, positive people. Great campus and cafeteria. They are into supporting altruistic causes.

Cons

Disorganization, paranoia, and sabotage seem to rule the day.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees, contractors with disrespect.

"Dysfunctional and Proud of It!!"

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice campus, iCafe, company parties are fun, stock is going up, some nice people

Cons

If you love working then this is the place for you because you'll be here morning, noon, and night. La Jolla in the dark will become a very familiar sight. It's not just the aggressive schedules that will keep you at work. A good part of the work will be created by the overall lack of planning of the projects that you'll work on. This is kind of amazing since Illumina is filled to rafters with middle managers. I guess they spend so much time falling over each other that they don't have time to manage anything.

The cherry on top of all of this is that your hard work is unlikely to be rewarded. Illumina makes no bones about the fact that it will not give internal candidates preference in hiring for open positions. It's quite frustrating to see external job postings for positions that you (and likely many of your colleagues) are qualified for. The best strategy for advancement at Illumina is to do good work, leave for a few years, and then come back at a higher level.

"Not great"

Current Employee - Technical Applications Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Applications Scientist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cafeteria, RSU (stock), company is doing very well

Cons

Schedules are unrealistic, work/life balance suffers greatly, bloated middle management that slows everything down, lots of silos, and a growing number of people who don't seem to have a clear function in the organization

Advice to Management

Illumina should be one of the best places in San Diego to work. It's not.

"A Veterans perspective."

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facility.
    Some good perks all around.
    Fair PTO system.
    Good benefits package.

Cons

After serving over 12 years in the US Military I landed a position with Illumina at first all seemed good the facility is very large and the benefits were great for a family person like me. I was glad to be a part of such a large organization because typically that’s good for career growth from within.
    Later as a prior service member who was in a leadership position I noticed that at almost every level they have no leadership per say, they rule by committee & political alliances. If you find yourself inside certain circles you will be fine; but if you’re out of the circles you may as well start looking for a new job.
    I felt certain mid-level managers saw me as a threat to their positions due in part to my experience in leadership and my technical ability and went after me. They kept it legal and the HR was of no help at all this stopping this harassment so I gave my notice, in my exit interview HR did not want to hear me and just kept repeating “prerogative” like a parrot.
    I cannot and will not recommend anyone working at this place especially mid-level career people because they will suffer the most while a person fresh out of college may be able to stand it.
    *This Company if not illegal certainly is an unethical company.

Advice to Management

None- but one day this behavior will bite you in the end.

"10 Years going to Illumina to work."

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician III in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician III in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stock given to me.
    PTO is good system.
    good benefits.
    steady job for ten years with increases first ~8 years.
    Good I cafe.

Cons

24/7 work non stop manufacturing.
    Very stress filled & mad people on your back.
    very political environment after 8 years as Illumina grew.
    no system of promotion to next level, all political or friendship based.
    HR provides no balance for employee grievances.

Advice to Management

waste of time as long as the stock is great they could care less.

"Terrible experience I will never let happen in my career again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Ops in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Ops in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- nice facilities
    - many capable colleagues throughout the years

Cons

- Career advancement is non-existent unless you play ridiculous games and are a political backstabber. Actual work performance and quality get you nowhere at this company
    - Chaotic and disorganized as a company, and they are proud of it
    - Over-rewarded executive and sales teams to the point of lewd extravagance, while all other departments struggle and are treated harshly
    - Very arrogant attitude and overall corporate culture. They act as if you are lucky to be with them, hence they get to treat you like a thing
    - World renowned terrible middle management. By terrible I mean how they treat people, their competence levels, political acuity, and overall professionalism. To say they are a joke is an understatement
    - Terrible upper management that perpetuates a horrible environment to suite their (mostly financial) needs, and not the needs of the company or employees as a whole. Working for them is a career stopper

Advice to Management

Your work force resents you and the terrible decisions you have made. The gross misallocation of incentives and advancement is apparent. You need to seriously mind your employees who have worked their tails off to give you a seven figure salary and reach the $1billion+ mark. You have not done this, and as a result, you have lost the vast majority of your top talent in 2011. Suites you right.