Illumina Reviews | Glassdoor

Illumina Reviews

Updated January 18, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • worked on an interesting product, work-life balance was decent (in 26 reviews)

• You get to work in an a very fast paced ecosystem where everyone is completely dedicated to the same values and the overall goal of the company (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is always a concern (in 53 reviews)

• Extremely fast paced environment with lot of quick changes in direction -- not for everyone (in 26 reviews)

1. "Production Maintenance Technician"

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Awesome place to work. My manager is very flexible with my time and allows opportunities to train and learn things outside the scope of my current job profile.

The team is great to work with and everybody has different skills that allow me to have instant access to someone who may be help me if I have a difficult piece of equipment to repair.

Relationship between engineers and technician is great. I never get the sense the aren't listening to me like I do at other places I have worked.

Cons

Some of the instruments are challenging to work with due to little or no documentation. There is a lot of OJT.

Heavy workload on a daily basis and overtime is often necessary

Advice to Management

Hire more people

Illumina Response

Dec 4, 2017 – HR

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your experience. We’re glad to hear it’s been a positive one and that your manager has been supportive in your learning outside of your project scope. We want... More

2. "Great place"

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, fast growing company

Cons

Some managers do not have enough training on how to run the department, some only there are also some great experience managers.

"High turnover rate, low salary"

Pros

-Great people
    -Great place to work if you are in your 30's with a PhD and kids

Cons

If you do not have a PhD, these cons will apply to you:
    -High turnover rate
    -You are taken on as a temp with no benefits, often working for $22-$25 an hour
    -Conversion to full time is promised but not guaranteed, it is cheaper for them to just hire another temp than to convert you
    -To have a shot at getting converted, you have to be a temp for at least a year

Advice to Management

-Stop manipulating your employees and promising things that you will not follow through on

4. "Great Place to Work (At least from an Intern's Perspective)"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA

Pros

Friendly People, Exciting Work, Beautiful Campus, Gym, Basketball/Volleyball Courts, There always seems to be stuff going on, Company sponsored events with free food/beer, So many cool perks,

Cons

It's really easy to work overtime,

"Managers not chosen carefully"

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Illumina is a generally a good company, pays well and has an open office layout that allows people to collaborate at all levels.

Cons

Manager doesn't have the skills for managing people or resources. Shortly after starting was required to cover an additional position (no previous experience with that role) for weeks and months at a time. The manager had no regard for and ignored the stress and pressure the situation caused.
    Company wide, too many unrealistic deadlines without proper resource planning.

Advice to Management

Get more project managers across all sites and increase resource planning. Choose potential managers carefully taking into consideration their relationships with other departments and their personalities.

6. "Once-in-a-lifetime company"

Current Employee - Associate Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team: high -caliber, motivated employees
    Collaboration: open and encouraging of counterpoint of views to get to the best outcome
    Mission: most important mission of any company I am aware of

Cons

Time to do quality work - pulled in many directions due to the urgency of the mission and the speed of innovation

Advice to Management

Institute regular and consistent Leadership Training for mid-level management - people leave managers, not companies. Help your leaders help their teams.

7. "Great Collaborations and People"

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company mission to improve human health is motivating and fulfilling. Smart people and teams push you to do your best

Cons

Company growth is not always well managed and can cause chaos. Company loves to implement systems that don't always deliver on their promises. Site amenities differ widely.

"Just a cog in the corporate wheel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-technology and mission make you proud to work there
    -very sharp coworkers
    -really impressed with new the CEO (Francis) and his ACTUAL committment to increasing diversity at the upper management level of the company
    -there are some great teams in the company, but varies by group

Cons

-terrible middle management, lie about advancement opportunities at hire
    -feels very corporate and raises/promotions are very hard to come by
    -internal movement only possible if your management doesn't try to sabotage your chances

Advice to Management

Get your story straight and stop making promises you have no intention on keeping. Stop trying to push your own agenda to get ahead and instead lead so that the whole team gets ahead. Listen to your employees and actually do something instead of just trying to check off a box for your personal goals.

Illumina Response

Aug 29, 2017 – HR

Thank you for sharing your experience. I appreciate that you see us making strides in ensuring we have a diverse senior leadership team, and it’s encouraging that you’re working with sharp team... More

"Challenging and satisfying work."

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The meaningful work done there will shape the future of health care. It's a mix of all the things you could ask for in a company. Meaningful work, potential for career growth, great people to work with and openness to try new things.

Cons

Due to the potential impact we can make to people's lives there are many motivated, talented people who demand your A game. Come ready to do your best.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. The ever evolving benefits and direction of the company keeps employees engaged and excited for the next thing. Great potential to do amazing things.

"Great place"

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Great people with a great mission.

Cons

Constant change with a few people making all the decisions.