Illumina Reviews | Glassdoor

Illumina Reviews

Updated July 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pretty good flexibility in our work helps with work life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Innovative and fast paced environment (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is always a concern (in 51 reviews)

• Illumina is fast-paced and there are many days with long hours (in 21 reviews)

"Research Associate I"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA

Pros

Access to cutting-edge technology. Everyone is really eager to bring you up to speed on projects and you are given lots of resources and tools for problem solving.

Cons

There's a sharp learning curve. The first few weeks are pretty overwhelming. Contract pay is not that great and the benefits barely get you by.

Advice to Management

Continue with your open discussion of improvement. Any questions are answered in a timely manner and in depth detail is given.

"Top Heavy, Heavier, Heaviest"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like others have said, there's a bunch of brilliant and nice people at Illumina. The nice one's get over run by the sharks, though.
    The company makes a great product and has a strong pipeline in an amazing market space.

Cons

Very political. Organization changes several times a year, causing a lot of chaos and lost productivity. Just when things settle down, there's another org change to accommodate the new directors/ vice presidents they keep hiring.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and share all those bonuses and stock options with masses instead of all the top heavy management team.

3. "Research Associate II"

Current Employee - Research Associate II in San Diego, CA

Pros

great company, people are always interested in lending a hand, happy hours are great

Cons

extremely competitive workplace, work long hours

Advice to Management

recognize your employees for their hard work

4. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Illumina is an exciting, fast-paced, innovative organization to work for. They hire the best of the best so you are always surrounded by intelligent people who want to succeed and make an impact. Compensation is good, and opportunities are plenty.

Cons

Can be a bit chaotic at times and if you are not driven you can easily get lost in the giant machine that is Illumina. Often it can feel like you are a small cog with little wiggle room to expose yourself to other areas of the business

Advice to Management

Create opportunities for inter-departmental meet & greets amogn lower-level employees

5. "Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

An honest commitment to providing the best customer service possible. Every company says this but few actually do it. Managers care about employees, work/life balance is more than reasonable (perhaps not in every role). Benefits are excellent. Out of pocket costs for medical are way less than other plans I've been enrolled in. Illumina is the leader in it's industry with no significant competition. It's satisfying working in a field that truly contributes to society and human health versus companies that exist for profit only. Communication from the top happens often and is informative. CEO will answer any question posed to him by employees during company meetings. There is opportunity to advance but you will have to earn it.

Cons

Growth has slowed in recent years so advancement may take longer than in the past and opportunities are fewer. Changes happen fast. If you don't put in the extra effort to keep up your job will get harder. Lots of meetings!

Advice to Management

Who am I to offer advice to some of the smartest executives in the world? They seem to know what they are doing.

6. "All-Time Favorite Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We have the opportunity to change the way that illness and disease are diagnosed and treated. The entire company rallies behind this opportunity, and we stay focused on doing the best we can and moving as quickly as possible toward that goal. That kind of culture attracts experienced, passionate, driven, and brilliant people. It also creates opportunities for us each to have a tremendous impact on the company, and therefore the world.

Cons

We do sometimes move so fast that we move on before we've fully finished things. With so many possible uses for the technology, we also sometimes take on too many projects and programs.

Advice to Management

Keep us focused and passionate; this is an incredible opportunity, and everyone here wants to take advantage of it and get there together.

7. "Great company, but very political!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very innovative company, tends to be collaborative. Energetic team of people. It has great products, but more technology focused rather than market focused.

Cons

it is highly political, it doesn't matter simply if you are good at what you do but really if you are able to establish political connections and build rapport.

Advice to Management

I think management should be more personable, and politics is distracting and can be frustrating for many people.

"Don't work here if you like bonuses"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Innovative, fast paced, adaptable; management is very transparent; the products are very exciting and the company as a whole has huge potential

Cons

They just announced that they are cutting bonuses. I am a new employee that left a great company to be part of something amazing and it has not lived up to the hype.

Advice to Management

Do not cut bonuses. This will have a very negative effect on current employees and prospects. This was a horrible move.

9. "Exciting Company, but few career opportunities for engineers"

Current Employee - Process Engineer II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people
    Great campus
    Great benefits
    New engineers get lots of experience very quickly

Cons

Practically no career management and employee's career goals are ignored
    Upward mobility is not great and people often get stuck doing work that is below their ability

10. "ILLUMINA INC"

Current Employee - Electro-Mechanical Assembler in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Electro-Mechanical Assembler in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Illumina (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is not super stressful and there are a lot of opportunity to grow within the company.

Cons

The supervisors can get lost in their own work and lack a relationship with their individual employees.