Cover image for Illumina

87% Approve of CEO

Found 1,661 of over 2K reviews

Illumina President & CEO Francis deSouza
Francis deSouza

What people are saying about Illumina

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Illumina and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great Company with a lot of benefits

Nov 20, 2022 - Service and Support Specialist 2 in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture for growth within company

Cons

The industry is changing and evolving

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fast-paced and innovative biotech leader experiencing issues with company strategy

Nov 23, 2022 - Inside Sales Representative II in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Such a wonderful mission and purpose. Everyone is passionate about genomics and this comes through in their work and engagement with the company. Great benefits and perks, offices are top-notch, and people are all very motivated and intelligent. I met some amazing people and it was so fun to visit campus as well as participate in extracurricular activities organized by the company,

Cons

There is a stark disconnect between the commitment made to employees by middle management vs. the strategic decisions that top executives and the leadership team make. This has been amplified by recent activities including the frivolous spending on the Illumina Genomics Forum, then just weeks later, laying off 5% of the workforce to cutback on costs. It is contradictory and reveals what the company's priorities are.

3. Join the Illumina team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great Company to work at!

Nov 14, 2022 - Program Manager in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

wonderful brilliant people at Illumina. The mission is genuine, as are the people at the company. Illumina is destined for wonderful things, and I would always recommend this company to a friend, and could see myself coming back one day.

Cons

I felt that people were not respectful of time off / sick time, even though we had unlimited. I also felt like there was a little bit of "big brother" watching over me when I did my work. Also, the return to work was not as flexible as I would've liked. One other thing to add, I felt like I was underpaid compared to the industry.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great career opportunity

Dec 1, 2022 - Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome campus, work life balance, culture (company cares what employees think), smart & friendly people. Incentives: FTO, ESPP, VCP, RSU

Cons

Could be paid a bit more. Recent down sizing.

6. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

I don’t get why it’s mandatory to go in

Oct 27, 2022 - Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, So many things to learn, Awesome coworkers Amazing benefits Highly intelligent people who are also approachable

Cons

A little too much freedom, kind of had to learn everything myself. Recently had to start logging everything and now it is mandatory to be in the office/lab everyday, it’s almost to the point of micromanaging (not my direct manager, my manager is amazing I feel like it’s upper management)

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 3.0

Got let go

Nov 26, 2022 - Process Development Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

good for your resume, be surrounded by smart and out going people

Cons

Very corporate, higher ups don't care about you, overly political groups of individuals, dog eat dog kind of place

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Leadership Needs Improvement

Nov 17, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- My team and direct chain of management are incredible, transparent, and extremely intelligent and inspiring people. - I feel like I'm supported to grow in my role and I'm challenged everyday. - The work we do is life changing and it feels good to play a small part in doing good in the world.

Cons

Some of the senior leadership (C-levels) come off as disingenuous and do not instill trust. There's no way to provide feedback and the iPulse surveys (that the company has recently decided no longer need to be as frequent...) only allow ratings for VPs and nothing above. There's no way to provide feedback to high level leaders. They stand in front of us and speak like politicians, answering questions in company meetings in circles without any true transparency and they do not seem to truly care about employee wellbeing at all. They preach about how diverse our company is, how much they care about women, how we care about sustainability, yet come off as cold, insensitive, and and actors just "playing a part" and spewing nonsense when they speak direct to the employees. I've felt this way since starting at Illumina 3 years ago, but this has especially been echoed recently with the 5% layoffs and our CEO couldn't even make an appearance in person to give his message at the company meeting face to face with the people these decisions directly impact. They scream that they care on their Twitter accounts, but in practice do not seem as if they care about the employees at all. If we could provide feedback for leaders higher than our VPs, I'm sure this sentiment would be echoed from all across the company, but instead they give us no voice and we all whisper about it in the hallways and try bringing it up to our direct managers. It is severely negatively impacting the overall culture and mindset.

5 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0

Technician 3

Nov 29, 2022 - Assembly Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good insurance . Nice people. Hours is good

Cons

Don’t value their workers. Management is unorganize . A lot of politic.

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Prototype Services(PS) dept issues

Nov 21, 2022 - Engineer Technician in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent company to work for

Cons

-Poor management in Prototype Services department -Favoritism and politics runs high in PS -Managers don't manage the team -Managers aren't on campus to see the issues -Managers are more focused on group meetings opposed to getting technicians to do actual work for internal customers -Technicians aren't professional- confidential meetings with HR aren't kept confidential and are discussed among other techs in the group regarding a situation at a beach. - no investigation, no disciplinary action was taken.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Illumina is a great place to work!

Nov 11, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flex time off - technically unlimited vacation time Highly collaborative, team-centered culture Great benefits Possibility for remote work, hybrid, or on-site to fit your needs

Cons

Post-COVID there are not as many people reliably on site, so it takes a bit longer to get to know people

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,661 Reviews
</>Embed

Illumina Reviews FAQs

Illumina has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 1,932 reviews left anonymously by employees. 81% of employees would recommend working at Illumina to a friend and 76% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Illumina employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Illumina. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

81% of Illumina employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Illumina 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Illumina to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, compensation, management.

Popular Careers with Illumina Job Seekers