Illumina "fast paced" Reviews | Glassdoor

Illumina Employee Reviews about "fast paced"

Updated Jan 29, 2020

3.9
Pros
  • "It is an exciting, fast paced company where things are always evolving(in 83 reviews)

• "Management that emphasizes work/life balance(in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some groups have less work/life balance than others(in 67 reviews)

• "Fast-paced environment and constant changes in project and management(in 61 reviews)

Reviews about "fast paced"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Scientist

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Great benefits and great people to work with.

Cons

Fast-paced environment and constant changes in project and management

Illumina2020-01-02
  2. "Great people, great product, great mission"

Current Employee - Staff Product Manager

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful people who are very dedicated and passionate about their work. Dynamic, innovative, fast paced culture.

Cons

Resource constrained. Company is experiencing growing pains of transitioning from serving mainly research customers to clinical ones.

Illumina2020-01-29

"Great company being destroyed by lack of quality processes and subpar management"

Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Illumina full-time

Pros

Great infrastructure and events. Innovative and fast paced environment. Good company growth if R&D delivers

Cons

1. Below par base salaries 2. Bonus dependent on company financial performance. Bonus not tied to individual performance 3. Quality meltdown: Ops quality and validation teams are good inviduals but untrained and ineffective as the quality processes themselves have holes and are incomplete. For example- projects in manufacturing could be delivered by a functional group without quality or validation oversight. Once deployed there will be gaps attributed to quality but they get shoved under the rug till they become audit findings and then all hell breaks looks 4. Groupism is rampant and unless you know someone, you will be pushed and shoved around without a straight forward career path. Lot of intrusions in your work by people who have the ear of management but have nothing to do with what you are working on. People are looking to move up by playing the blame game and taking credit for other peoples work. Young engineers are sold a dream but are not aware of how their work fits into the whole scheme of things. This mafia mentality is leading to a lot of high performers wanting to change groups or quit the company. Add to this the blindsiding of the VPs by simply providing the info that they need to hear and not the bigger picture leads to a lot of projects delivering solutions that Illumina does not need or may even be against Illuminas best interest. 5. Finance cost centers are poorly set up. Even managers and ADs do not have control over their finances 6. Hiring for the sake of headcount accumulation is rampant. No clear understanding of Illumina needs when creating departments or resourcing leads to over hiring and subsequent layoffs. Lot of smart people working on pet projects which may or may not be in Illuminas best interest. Moreover hiring in plenty causes dilution of team performance and standards. As a result you get few mediocre performers against all high performers 7. Some managers have been promoted into positions in which they have no experience. These managers stall the progress of the group leading to attrition or a lot of unhappy employees 8. Common for some employees to be working 12 hour days while some employees show up to work once in a blue moon. 9 Management wants to preserve status quo rather than make effective changes to benefit the company and the consumers. No appetite for out of the box thinking or using industry best practices. A lot of times you hear " This is how Illumina works" 10. Too many resources are spent on events and non productive activities. Though attractive for a lot of young professionals this causes lack of concentration 11. Bureaucracy and politics: Never before seen level of politics here. Honest employees beware. You are being made use of as pawns for others career growth. Of all the workplace issues, this is the worst. Mutiple people will be working on the same thing. Teams are created and set up only to further peoples influence rather than solving actual issues.

Illumina2020-01-20

"A great place to work, depending on your personality"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very innovative work that has a clear positive impact on human health. - Colleagues are intelligent, driven, and hardworking. Almost everyone has great pride in working here and believes in the mission. - Career development opportunities are available (if you loudly fight for them). - Senior management appears to be doing a good job of prioritizing the promising projects. We always seem to come up with something that makes the company keep growing. - Decent compensation for San Diego (when we hit our revenue targets). - Fast paced.

Cons

- Compensation is highly variable. Low base salary. Benefits and 401k match are sub-par. - Some managers are extremely stingy with promotions. - Some teams have much better work/life balance while other are perpetually stressed out. - You have to be assertive and drive your own career, or people will take advantage of you. - Fast paced. Summary: If you are driven, self-motivated, assertive, and enjoy fast pace and constant learning, you will love it here. If you are not these things, or you have a bad manager, or you want a tech-company salary, you will probably be unhappy.

Illumina2019-11-09

"Toxic environment to work, Stay away!"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great campus, great mission

Cons

While there are lots of good reviews on the site but either these are from handfull of groups that have good leadership or from the HR itself. There is no shortage of smart people at this company, however some of the departments are disorganized. Positions are created to get more ownership in the project rather than on the company need basis. The blame game is intense. You will hardly receive credit for your hard work but people will not take a second to point fingers at you. Some of the engineers who are currently responsible for the development of a very critical product are incompetent both technically and professionally. They feel proud about the chaos and call it " This is Illumina". The whole team is in a rush during the project, which is understandable due to the fast-paced environment. However, they do a poor job in evaluating the product and then spend double the time fixing it. They tend to easily miss critical things which I believe is a result of the incompetent engineers leading the project. Pay is average, bonus is pathetic.

Illumina2019-11-25
  6. "Overall, a great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Fast paced environment, innovation and market leader.

Cons

A pro and also a con, the pace is constant. Not for everyone, but great if you enjoy a dynamic environment.

Illumina2019-10-14
  7. "Fast-Moving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's possible you'll find people who don't exemplify company values but overall a diverse and talented group. Great campus and employee life. Free coffee/tea is nice. One of the best work environments in San Diego. I wasn't especially passionate about genomics before working here, but find the applications of our products innovative and inspiring. I'm sure team dynamics vary but I've had an excellent experience.

Cons

Although the company seems to be pushing diversity in hiring, it probably takes a while to show in leadership. As a contractor there's a lot of FOMO on employee perks and benefits contractors don't get and not being able to talk about your development and future with the company, but not as bad as other large companies. It is fast-paced. If looking for a job to settle down in, you might not be comfortable with frequent reorgs or shifts in responsibilities.

Illumina2019-09-05
  8. "Best Internship Program Ever!"

Current Intern - Clinical Software Marketing in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina for less than a year

Pros

iAspire, like Illumina, is defined by the people behind the program. Contributing to high-impact projects that will make a lasting impact was incredible, but the experience was made unforgettable because of my invested manager, caring mentors, and passionate peers. My favorite parts were collaborating with innovative, open-minded, talented and dedicated people from cross-functional teams, and waking up in the morning excited to go to work because I know the work I do that day will help positively impact other people’s lives in the near future! Everyone is so willing to talk to you about their position when you reach out to them, amazing networking opportunities are everywhere. There are a lot of classes that are available for you (virtually and in-person) to help you further excel in your current position, and learn other skills. We had many professional development, and networking events designed specifically for interns where we get to know each other, to talk to senior leaders, to have our resumes critiqued and so much more.

Cons

Because you have so much flexibility when it comes to the planning of your work, it took me a while to figure out my own schedule, and ways to stay focused and motivated at all time in this extremely fast-paced environment.

Illumina2019-09-05

"I Love working for Illumina"

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Motivated and friendly coworkers - Great sports and employee appreciation events - Fantastic mission and contribution to the world - Competitive salary and benefits -Unbelievable time off 30+ work days off per year

Cons

Work is fast-paced and you can get lost in it. You will always have more than you can do in one day.

Illumina2019-08-01

"They care deeply about their employees wellbeing"

Current Employee - Field Applications Scientist

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great environment to work - everyone is very helpful. - Amazing benefits (including flexible time off, car allowance, and many bonuses). - Even the higher up people at the company are very approachable. - Plethora of internal resources to self-educate. - Great work-life balance.

Cons

- As a remote employee, some weeks can be extremely busy and some others extremely not busy. Probably not suited for people used to a fixed routine. - Fast paced: A lot of things change very rapidly internally, so you'd better catch up.

Illumina2019-08-02