Illuminate Education Illuminator Reviews | Glassdoor

Illuminate Education Illuminator Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2018

2.8
Illuminate Education CEO Christine Willig (no image)
Christine Willig

"Making a Difference"

Current Employee - Illuminator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Each of us have a job to do here at Illuminate, but it is what we all do beyond our roles that makes this place extraordinary. We are encouraged to pursue our passions. Equity, house builds in Mexico, anti-bullying efforts, robotics...we are supported by our CEO to be socially responsible. And by doing so, each of us work that much harder at our jobs to make a difference both inside and outside of the classroom.

Cons

There are times when we do not have celery in the refrigerator and have to eat our humus plain. NO CONS!!!

Advice to Management

Continue to create opportunities for us to grow. Challenge us to stretch beyond our comfort zones.

Illuminate Education2017-10-19

"Great People, Terrible Leadership"

Former Employee - Illuminator in Irvine, CA

I worked at Illuminate Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The individual contributors that I worked with are some great people who are truly passionate about doing great things.

Cons

The CTO is the most incompetent manager I have ever worked for. He doesn't care about his employees except for how they can make him look good. He has made inexcusably terrible product decisions. He has been trying to get rid of the flat organizational structure so that he doesn't actually have to talk to his employees. You'll also get paid well under market rate for your role.

Advice to Management

The single biggest mistake Illuminate has made is the choice in CTO. Reconsider that choice..

Illuminate Education2018-06-30

"Illuminate empowers you to lead!"

Current Employee - Illuminator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Illuminate let's you be the best version of yourself, let's you be a grown up by picking your most functional hours of efficiency and even let's you contribute to who is on the team you work with. We are encouraged to speak up, be problem solvers, and own our actions.

Cons

You have to be self directed and not take yourself too seriously here. This place isn't about one person's ego or titles or climbing a ladder, so if that's what motivates you look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

We don't have managers only leaders and stakeholders. Our leaders shift and change as projects and needs arise. My only advice to my peers is to run with the project you believe in, rally the team you need, and there's no such thing as over-communicating. Having so many inspiring people to work alongside is what makes me love what I do!

Illuminate Education2017-06-01
  4. "Great culture, leadership, and mission!"

Current Employee - Illuminator

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company with even better culture. Employee friendly and really cares about its people Illuminate lives out the mission daily and really cares helping educators and students.... Plenty of opportunities for personal and career growth Strong leadership Amazing benefits

Cons

No cons...Great experience for me. Illuminate really works really hard to improve and get better everyday

Advice to Management

Thank you. Keep up the great work!

Illuminate Education2016-12-08
  5. "I've never worked with so many smart people before!"

Illuminator

I have been working at Illuminate Education

Pros

I worked in public education for 14 years. When I moved to Illuminate, I experienced significant culture shock. I've never been on a team with so many smart, driven and committed people before. I had to recalibrate my expectations for working as part of a team. We're talking high IQ and high EQ. I didn't know that my job could be like this. In public education, there are very few material perks. At Illuminate,... we're treated like members of the family, and the compensation package matches. I came from a district where I led every initiative because there was nobody else stepping up. At Illuminate that is not a problem; everyone is such a superstar I am constantly critiquing my own work trying to make sure I'm pulling my weight. The office is casual and comfortable. You are automatically friends with everyone else in the building by virtue of being an Illuminator. It took me a few weeks to lower my professional guard and get comfortable with being friends with people who didn't know my name yet.

Cons

Everyone on the team is extremely mindful of the client's needs (and by extension, the needs of the students). For that reason, most team members maintain tenuous work-life boundaries. If you're the type that unplugs from your job after 5pm and on weekends, you won't feel comfortable here. For positions other than support, you're expected to figure out your job with very little direct guidance. If you're not... good at organizing your own learning needs, you won't do well here. There are about 7 different modes of communication in the office, including email, IM, wikis, and face-to-face. If you're not good at synthesizing and organizing information, this is NOT the place for you. Illuminate is working hard to maintain a Participation Age reporting structure. If you thrive on task lists, top-down directives, annual reviews, and structured expectations....you're going to flounder. If you like to be the smartest person in the room, you're looking in the wrong place. This is the smartest group of people I have ever met. If you don't like talking openly about your feelings, you should probably find someplace else. I've had old colleagues use my name to try to get an interview at Illuminate. I've told the recruiter not to hire them. It takes a very specific type of person to fit into the culture. This is NOT the place to go if you are burnt out on your current job.

Advice to Management

Remain strict on who we hire. What we have is really special. Growing slow is better than growing badly.

Illuminate Education2016-05-18
  6. "We ARE changing the World!!!"

Illuminator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education

Pros

We are a flat organization - no 'formal' titles - no internal politics. It's a team effort and our primary goal is to help educators and students succeed (and we take this very seriously). Everyone is super healthy and encourages each other to be the best we can be for our families, ourselves and the customers that we serve. Our company values are awesome and the work that we do does make a difference.

Cons

The main con is that we aren't in every school in the US yet! That is our goal, to help as many schools as possible but we are getting there and WILL obtain this goal.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing because it's working!

Illuminate Education2015-01-26