Illuminate Education Product Manager Reviews

Updated Jan 22, 2021

2.3
Illuminate Education CEO Christine Willig (no image)
Christine Willig

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Experience So Far

Jul 2, 2019 - Project Manager in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are welcoming, fun, and open to change. The culture is collaborative, compassionate, supportive, and respectful. I haven't observed or experienced any micromanaging, everyone is treated like an adult, and the work/life balance and flexibility here is awesome. Benefits package is very good as well - I feel like taking care of employees was definitely considered when putting it together. The variety of snacks in the HQ break room is pretty impressive.

Cons

The organization is going through a lot of change, and there are some growing pains while adapting to function like larger company. Adopting new processes, accountability across teams, and establishing better lines of communications across departments and teams is a little rough right now. Unfortunately with the mergers there have been some recent re-structuring, which caused layoffs and issues with team morale.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Good company

Jan 22, 2021 - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

People that you get to work with.

Cons

Leadership not always on the same page

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Run away

Oct 15, 2020 - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

none, none, none, none, none

Cons

poor leadership, overworked team, poor compensation. Current CEO has managed to ruin anything that was good about the five companies that merged under her leadership.

14 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

CEO is Sinking the Company

Jun 21, 2019 - Product Manager in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The office is centrally located, the people are really nice to work with, the heart of the company is focused on changing education.

Cons

There was a 5 way merger with Illuminate and the new CEO that was hired to run the business is a joke. She doesn't understand how to run a software company and has a dictatorial management style. She questions if you speak up and thinks having a good culture is not important. She continues to hire her friends in senior executive positions because she wanted to give them a "chance" at that role. Sales are down yet she continues to hire executives with bloated salaries to make more bad decisions. The HR department is full of hot air as they are focused on talking more than supporting the employees. There is no where for the employee to share grievances as the HR department shares the same sentiment of the CEO. The company is full of who can pat who's back at the executive level. They don't care about the employees that do the work and the really smart ones who knew the business were either fired, laid off or quit. The board would find their ROI would increase if they replaced the CEO.

29 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place to work, in a growing phase

Jun 8, 2018 - Product Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

We're building software that matters, I know all software companies say that. I like to think building software to help educators and students matter more than creating software that delivers food to your desk. We're on a mission and it feels that way. I wrote a review for this company a few years ago, it was just at the end of being a startup. While the company has changed, grown, a lot I still feel the same about our mission and that's the most important part.

Cons

99% of the people who work here are amazing talented driven people. We historically have had a very relaxed work environment, and still do but because of that, some can't handle when any sort of order or process gets put in place. Things that work with less than 100 employees, won't work with almost 300, being smart about growing is necessary to our success. I guess the con is some people fight hard against change that in my opinion is positive.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Culture, Great Flexibility, Amazing Growth

May 30, 2017 - Project Manager in Youngstown, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Growing year over year, flexible schedules, culture is positive and relaxed, always pushing to get better, flat organization

Cons

cross team collaboration can use improvement

Be the first to find this review helpful