Illuminate Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
Christine Willig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You really feel connected as part of a team that is making a difference in the world of education" (in 8 reviews)

• "I recently accepted position with Illuminate Education as Remote Support Specialist" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes work life balance is hard" (in 6 reviews)

• "Our new CEO brings a maturity and levity to the business that was missing in its start up days" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Like a breath of fresh air"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tech-company vibe to their corporate culture. Managers and recruiters find and hire personable and passionate talent. There are a lot of interesting people and we're encouraged to learn and grow at every turn.

Open space office, headquartered in Irvine, CA. Some may see this as a con, but former educators know how much of a cubicle farm district or office life can be. Orange County is suburbia at it's finest, but offers faster-paced life-styles in the denser down-towns of Costa Mesa or Santa Ana.

The company provides a surprising amount of mobility among job titles/roles. Great for employees looking for career growth.

Cons

Growing pains setting in from enterprise mentality. It's expected and I hope it pays off with both with success in our mission statement and financial growth.

The band-aids from feature-oriented development cycle is starting to show. Executive leaders are making moves to curb it though, thankfully.

Advice to Management

Reward our hardworking talent. "First person in, last person out" mentality should be rewarded, regardless if they're a manager or not.

Increase professional development opportunities for less outspoken team-members.

2. "Executive Director"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative synergy is encouraged through working with great team of former educators and first class developers

Cons

With growth comes change - and change can be a good thing - need to embrace it!

"Love where you work"

Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with people that believe in what we do, great benefits, great team and we are making a difference in education.

Cons

Company is growing quickly and transitioning to a larger company.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of the rest. Trust that we are smart, talented people.

"Still best job ever!"

Current Employee - CSM in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - CSM in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work environment, people, and perks. If you are interested in education and doing the right thing for kiddos...This is a place for you.

Cons

Went from small to Huge in 3 years. Stretching of our "change" muscles has been a frequent endeavor. I'm sure it will settle, as does all change, but it is somewhat of a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep leading us vs. managing us. Focus on students and our mission/vision and we will be able to impact so many kids in a positive way.

5. "Customer Support Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is filled with the most friendly people I have ever had the pleasure to work alongside! They care about your unique qualities and try to maximize your individual strengths.

Cons

None that I can speak of!

Advice to Management

Continue the full company retreats! The last one was AMAZING!!!

"Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's easily the best company I've ever worked for. The compensation, benefits, and bonuses are all great. Management is thoughtful, strong, and loves to see people excel. Co-workers really enjoy what they are doing, and everyone has a well-defined purpose and sense that we are working to help students, teachers, and school administrators.

Cons

No cons, but you must be flexible with change, as the company is merging with other companies. This is also a company transitioning quickly from a "start up" mode to a disciplined, professional company. If you don't like that, this is not for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and never forget that your employees WANT to excel and grow.

7. "Managing Director"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Customers First! is our mantra. We are all passionately dedicated to serving our customers with a common zeal and vision.
    I've noticed that employees are dedicated and work as a team with a common goal in mind.
    Great company culture which is very caring and nurturing.

Cons

Provide financial help for ongoing education.

8. "The NEW Illuminate"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Illuminate has recently tripled in size but we continue to have an amazing culture, work ethic and benefits. This is the best company I have ever worked for and despite the big changes that we have been going through, that hasn't changed. Medical and Dental insurance is paid for you and your family. You have the ability to work remote. Our work has a true impact on the lives or the educators and students that we serve. Not only that, but I enjoy getting up and going to work every day. Even when there is a stressful deadline, the environment is fun and the people enjoyable. Without a doubt, I would recommend this company to to everyone I know.

Cons

This isn't the place to work if you need a lot of hand holding and micromanaging. Illuminate is a place that allows you to learn and grow. We go above and beyond to help each other but you are eventually expected to be able to work on your own. There isn't any vision insurance.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent about the changes being made within the company. Strive to maintain the Legacy Illuminate family culture.

"A Great Place to Work (and Learn!)"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time

Pros

Emphasis on student and educator success is lived and breathed by all. Tremendous ocus on work/life balance. Great support from fellow team members and leaders.

Cons

This isn't necessarily bad, but Illuminate is growing VERY quickly as of late and taking on quite a bit when it comes to new mergers and acquisitions. Managed appropriately, this could be fantastic for everyone (staff and customers). Managed poorly and it could be deadly.

10. "Heading in a Great Direction"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Amazing company culture. Illuminate has managed to maintain the important aspects of its culture through recent periods of significant growth and change.
    * Management structure exists, but employees do not feel overly-monitored or babysat
    * Strong "Team" atmosphere still prevails and employees truly care about helping each other.

Cons

(July 2018) - Still some growing pains with putting in new processes and transitioning from a small company/start-up mindset to a large company/industry-leader mindset.

Advice to Management

Stick with new processes in the face of resistance (whether it is internal or external). To grow, we must change, and we must stick with our adjustments long-term to realize their benefits.