Illuminate Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 30, 2018

4.2
Christine Willig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You really feel connected as part of a team that is making a difference in the world of education" (in 8 reviews)

• "I recently accepted position with Illuminate Education as Remote Support Specialist" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes work life balance is hard" (in 6 reviews)

• "Our new CEO brings a maturity and levity to the business that was missing in its start up days" (in 7 reviews)

"Like a breath of fresh air"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tech-company vibe to their corporate culture. Managers and recruiters find and hire personable and passionate talent. There are a lot of interesting people and we're encouraged to learn and grow at every turn.

Open space office, headquartered in Irvine, CA. Some may see this as a con, but former educators know how much of a cubicle farm district or office life can be. Orange County is suburbia at it's finest, but offers faster-paced life-styles in the denser down-towns of Costa Mesa or Santa Ana.

The company provides a surprising amount of mobility among job titles/roles. Great for employees looking for career growth.

Cons

Growing pains setting in from enterprise mentality. It's expected and I hope it pays off with both with success in our mission statement and financial growth.

The band-aids from feature-oriented development cycle is starting to show. Executive leaders are making moves to curb it though, thankfully.

Advice to Management

Reward our hardworking talent. "First person in, last person out" mentality should be rewarded, regardless if they're a manager or not.

Increase professional development opportunities for less outspoken team-members.

"Only One Thing is Important at Illuminate"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time

Pros

Lots of push to integrate 5 companies & products into one. The end result could be a great product, but that remains to be seen.

Decent PTO and holiday schedule. New employees receive 15 days of PTO that can be used anyway the employee sees fit. There are also 12 paid holidays.

Cons

It's important to understand that the Illuminate Education of today is not the same as the Illuminate Education prior to July of 2018. In July, the investment firm that owns Illuminate decided to merge IE with several other companies. This merger resulted in a newly formed company with the same name.

There is only one goal for this newly formed company; to provide the investment firm a return on their investment and a profit when they sell. Every decision is filtered through that lens.

Here's an example. Illuminate used to provide 100% healthcare coverage for employees and dependents. That's no longer the case even though current job postings list it as a benefit. Employees with families are taking a $7000 per year pay cut to retain their current benefits plan. Moreover, leadership has been unwilling to answer basic questions regarding the percentage split for healthcare costs.

The reality is this; leadership is cutting costs any way they can to prepare the company for sale. They have zero concern for the people working for them. There's already been one round of layoffs and it wouldn't be surprising to see another.

There may still be people who care about making a difference in education through technology, but those people aren't in leadership positions.

If you want to join a company whose primary goal is to make money for an investment firm by any means necessary, this is a great place to work. If you're looking for a company that values it's "in the trenches" employees you'll want to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

It's very unfortunately clear to every employee why we're making the decisions we're making. It's sad that leadership values employees so little that communication, transparency, and doing the right thing are, apparently, at the bottom of the list of imperatives.

3. "Great work culture and fun teams (with the exception of a few leaders)"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time

Pros

Casual work environment. Good company culture. Remote friendly. Covers insurance cost (dental and health). Most leaders are humble and receptive to feedback and genuinely care about you. Irvine office is pretty nice. Free snacks and coffee. Doesn’t feel like anyone is going to throw you under the bus at any moment. Feels like family. Bonuses are nice, but not sure if they’ll still continue. Company is growing quick and makes you feel a little proud of its publicity

Cons

CTO isn’t too friendly. He went on blast to the whole company and said things he shouldn’t have said but somehow he kept his job even though his apology wasn’t a fully believable one. Going through some growing pains on the development side of the company where the structure just keeps changing and it’s hard to know who does what. Some other leaders in the company seem like they were grandfathered in and don’t really deserve to be in leadership positions, but it’s just a small number of those. There are several terrific leaders that balance that out luckily. Early on when I started, it seemed like gossip was frowned upon and I rarely saw it, but now it seems like gossip is growing out of a few corners. Reviews don’t seem like reviews anymore, but I guess that also depends on your lead

Advice to Management

Ask for feedback from the teams on how their leaders are doing. Honesty goes a long way and some people shouldn’t be in leadership positions, but others are awesome. Stop being scared of calling people out. General messages of feedback don’t work

"Former Employer"

I worked at Illuminate Education full-time

Pros

Ummmm....snacks, coffee, nice office.

Cons

Leadership, gossip, favoritism, out of touch.

Advice to Management

Listen, see, change, grow

5. "Executive Director"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative synergy is encouraged through working with great team of former educators and first class developers

Cons

With growth comes change - and change can be a good thing - need to embrace it!

"Still best job ever!"

Current Employee - CSM in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - CSM in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work environment, people, and perks. If you are interested in education and doing the right thing for kiddos...This is a place for you.

Cons

Went from small to Huge in 3 years. Stretching of our "change" muscles has been a frequent endeavor. I'm sure it will settle, as does all change, but it is somewhat of a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep leading us vs. managing us. Focus on students and our mission/vision and we will be able to impact so many kids in a positive way.

7. "Customer Support Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is filled with the most friendly people I have ever had the pleasure to work alongside! They care about your unique qualities and try to maximize your individual strengths.

Cons

None that I can speak of!

Advice to Management

Continue the full company retreats! The last one was AMAZING!!!

"Love where you work"

Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with people that believe in what we do, great benefits, great team and we are making a difference in education.

Cons

Company is growing quickly and transitioning to a larger company.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of the rest. Trust that we are smart, talented people.

"Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's easily the best company I've ever worked for. The compensation, benefits, and bonuses are all great. Management is thoughtful, strong, and loves to see people excel. Co-workers really enjoy what they are doing, and everyone has a well-defined purpose and sense that we are working to help students, teachers, and school administrators.

Cons

No cons, but you must be flexible with change, as the company is merging with other companies. This is also a company transitioning quickly from a "start up" mode to a disciplined, professional company. If you don't like that, this is not for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and never forget that your employees WANT to excel and grow.

10. "Managing Director"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Customers First! is our mantra. We are all passionately dedicated to serving our customers with a common zeal and vision.
    I've noticed that employees are dedicated and work as a team with a common goal in mind.
    Great company culture which is very caring and nurturing.

Cons

Provide financial help for ongoing education.