Illuminate Education Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Illuminate Education CEO Max Carnecchia
Max Carnecchia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You really feel connected as part of a team that is making a difference in the world of education (in 9 reviews)

• I recently accepted position with Illuminate Education as Remote Support Specialist (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a struggle (in 6 reviews)

• Growing pains of taking on more clients and more employees (in 4 reviews)

"Great company growing up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Illuminate Education is full of some of the most passionate people anywhere. They really care about education and care about each other too. Like many successful companies, we outgrew the early structures and were struggling to deal with the increased size. The Founder & prior CEO knew this and brought in some leaders with more experience running larger businesses to help us, including a new CEO to take his day-to-day responsibilities. The former Founder is still involved and provides advice. While change can often be hard, it looks like good, positive changes are starting to happen and I'm optimistic about the future. Benefits are amazing, the culture is great, and it is good to be part of a company making such a big difference in education.

Cons

Being in any organization going through transformation can be a challenge. Some people are really tied to the old ways of working (even when it is clear they can be improved) and are struggling with the new changes. Growing pains are expected, people! Fortunately, most Illuminators are positive and so the negative voices are in the minority.

Advice to Management

Keep the great culture and just finish the business transformation. Also, more communication is never a bad thing. Illuminators were used to a very open environment but as we have grown make more effort to keep communicating with everyone.

2. "Sad, sad, sad."

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission and team are fantastic. Some of the best people and a mission you can believe in.

Cons

Something has changed. I dont know what it is, but its different. I'll put it this way. In the last few months we've had turnover in Sales and Engineering. People are leaving. The engineers we lost were senior team members who had been with the company for over 5 years! You get stuck in a position. No real chances for growth. You might get a new title (we all have whatever title we want), but your still stuck. Morale is down. Change is expected, but shouldn't feel this negative.

Advice to Management

Idk. Just try to do what's good for people.

"Leadership is Flawed"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great data platform that can truly help teacher and administrators. Very powerful Data and reports.

Cons

The New CEO and his new minions have changed the culture overnight. The new CEO does not understand ED Tech or the market, but wants results. The current leadership team is made up of favorites that gossip and do not help. Certain favorites have information on employees and use it to there advantage.

Advice to Management

Hire people who truly understand education, and promote from within. Re-evaluate the current leadership team, because no one helps or listens, but they wonder why the results are not there.

"Anonymous Current Employee"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time

Pros

Solid Product/aquisitions. Great benes.

Cons

No longer flat enviornment. Too much change all at once. Office gossip! "Favorites" promoted. Good people leaving right and left. Leadership needs to take a hard look at what they are doing to the company culture. Lane has got to pay attention.

Advice to Management

Bark less, listen more.

"Great in theory, not so much in practice"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time

Pros

There are still some folks that are dedicated to making a difference in the lives of students.

Good health benefits.

Cons

It's very easy for people who don't want to work to hide in the bureaucracy. Lots of bureaucracy for such a small company.

Changes in leadership have made things less transparent. Decisions are made in a silo and we're supposed to be good worker bees and execute their vision.

Work/life balance is continually being pushed, yet the company loves to celebrate those who work through the night and weekends as heroes.

Current product/technology stack makes it very difficult to get any meaningful work done.

Limited career and growth potential.

Advice to Management

Don't ask your employees what they think if you don't care enough to listen to them.

"Same Culture, Same Values, More Accountability"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time

Pros

The culture has remained mostly the same since the last CEO left. Honestly things actually feel like they're on the up and up. I can see deliberate growth, where we are headed, and I feel we have a tangible plan to actually get us there.

There seems to be more accountability and that was sorely lacking beforehand. People are actually expected to do their jobs and numbers are finally starting to matter. It feels like we are becoming a more stable, secure, and prosperous company.

What's really been exciting is watching the business strategies start to unfold and see what the longterm vision for the organization is. Finally people are starting to see that this is a company, not a place to hang out and wax poetically about educational concepts without actually doing any work. Everyone that is here seems to have a purpose and there is less wondering what someone does or why they are employed.

The folks who abused and exploited our company culture before are finally being asked to do what they are paid to do and it's extremely refreshing. You can no longer run to the former CEO to get to do what you want instead of going with what the company actually needs / the numbers are telling us is the right direction.

Benefits are really solid - great health, insurance, and flex schedules. Remote work is totally allowed and they provide good, new tech to employees.

If you have a family emergency or need to come in later, people totally understand. You don't need to take vacation hours because your kid is sick. It's awesome.

Cons

Right now, the big frustration comes from people who are so desperate to cling to the past that they fail to see what we're accomplishing. They also act like this was a hostile takeover, it wasn't. The old CEO left on his own and still advises the company. But some people now don't have the luxury of running to him to get their way so they are not too happy.

I would like to see some of the new hires talk to more employees. I've noticed some folks the CEO has brought on haven't made a huge effort to get to know everyone. This company is actually pretty close so it would be nice to see more effort put into just talking with folks.

One thing about the new regime that is slightly frustrating is that they aren't as transparent as the previous. Not to say they are pulling fast one's on us but it would be nice to know about big decisions before they're made, not after.

Advice to Management

Expect certain people to be upset for awhile but keep growing the company. Don't change the culture or values we hold. So far they haven't and we're hoping it stays that way.

7. "Not good"

I worked at Illuminate Education full-time

Pros

-Good people work in the company

Cons

-Educational content they create is too vague

Advice to Management

Imagine thinking a grade level below your target audience

8. "Change is hard"

Current Employee - Implementation Manager
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We are not a tiny company anymore and we are going through change. We have to and management is trying hard to listen and maintain the things that make us special.

Cons

Sophomoric and disconnected approaches of the past will not work; they hurt us in 2017 trying to make everyone happy.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening and helping us change.

"Don't believe the bitter Betty's"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is growing steadily and with growth comes change. While change can be scary it was absolutely necessary for Illuminate to change.

The company offers a nice benefits package and I feel like I have been provided some really great opportunities to grow and develop professionally. I have established some great professional connections and relationships and I truly believe that I work for a company that is doing good in the education sector.

There is more structure going in place which this company desperately needed. The company is not without its flaws, but it is a hell of a lot better than most companies.

Great culture, however, do not forget that THIS IS A JOB, not a party bus.

Cons

Some of the employees here are stuck in the old way of thinking they are scared of change and not willing to adjust. The former CEO, while a great leader, was not a corporate type and was very easy going. This has lead to a bit of resistance to change from some of the old guard. While the old CEO was great, it seems like some folks have given up on the new CEO before he even has had a chance.

Onboarding is stronger on some teams than others.

Advice to Management

Just keep growing.

"Leadership Lacking"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time

Pros

The people in the company are very bright, passionate and committed to the success of the company and the teachers and students they serve.

Cons

The new CEO has so quickly changed the dynamics and culture of the company. Never thought one person could tear down something so fast. He is not engaged with the employees nor attempts to be

Advice to Management

Quickly understand that the path that has been chosen will not get them to the result they are looking to accomplish