Illuminate Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 23, 2017

Full-timePart-time

5.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We feel like we actually make a difference in the lives of others (in 7 reviews)

• As a company, we are committed to student and educator success and as a workplace we are committed to employee success (in 5 reviews)

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Illuminate employees are stakeholders, not just employees. We are empowered to function as owners. Everyone cares deeply about the work we do and takes personal ownership in helping us continually improve our product and services.

Cons

We work in teams and without the traditional management structure. Each team member is responsible for managing their work. If you need highly structured, top-down management and support, this work environment would not be the best for you.

Advice to Management

Keep trusting us and empowering us to do our best work. What we have is something special!

2. "Self Driven and Self Managed"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Autonomy - We have a fair amount of autonomy when it comes to solving an issue for a client.

2. Critical Thinking - Each day is a different set of questions and challenges which require the use of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Team - In my previous role it was a small organization so we had to know a little about everything. Illuminate allows you to truly become an expert in the various areas while being able to learn all of the areas and utilize the people around you to grow in the knowledge of the system.

4. Family - Truly a family environment where everyone cares about one another.

5. Culture - The culture is what drives Illuminate and that culture has been set from the top down but it is everyone at every level keeping the culture, mission, and vision true.

Cons

I wouldn't say there are any specific cons about working at Illuminate but more what I would describe as challenges. We are a company that is spread out across the United States and with that comes challenges such as time zones for example. Challenges, in this case, are not a bad item but more of an item that requires everyone to be self-aware each day.

Advice to Management

Continue with the pathway that we are on with peer reviews and self-driven work environment. As we grow we need to make sure that we continue to not forget where we came from as a company and look to hire those who exemplify those characteristics that have made us successful.

"Illuminate empowers you to lead!"

Current Employee - Illuminator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Illuminator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Illuminate let's you be the best version of yourself, let's you be a grown up by picking your most functional hours of efficiency and even let's you contribute to who is on the team you work with. We are encouraged to speak up, be problem solvers, and own our actions.

Cons

You have to be self directed and not take yourself too seriously here. This place isn't about one person's ego or titles or climbing a ladder, so if that's what motivates you look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

We don't have managers only leaders and stakeholders. Our leaders shift and change as projects and needs arise. My only advice to my peers is to run with the project you believe in, rally the team you need, and there's no such thing as over-communicating. Having so many inspiring people to work alongside is what makes me love what I do!

"Illuminator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Shared leadership, Team based decisions, Participation Age culture, Core values evident in all work

Cons

I don't have any cons

"Every year is better"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Illuminate continues to be an awesome place to grow. We embrace continual improvement in every aspect of our work and believe in taking care of each other. There are always challenges, but the culture here makes it a joy.

Cons

Adjusting to company growth and changes can be difficult, but I think it means we're on the right path

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Sales in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Sales in Remote, OR

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Participation age at its finest...Employees encouraged to be in charge of their learning. 'Give back' mentality. Laughter and friendship in the office. People really care about and support each other.

Cons

One of the best around. Hard to find anything to improve on. Management is open to suggestions and implements when possible.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage growth.

7. "More Energized and Excited Every Day!"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive team atmosphere, amazing benefits, sense of empowerment, positive attitudes all around.

Cons

Difficult at times to find that work / life balance. Travel can be extensive based on our roles.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the team - we all have the best interest in Illuminate and our success!

8. "Employee"

Current Employee - Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

autonomy, great leaders and CEO, excellent pay and benefits, team oriented, flexible work schedule, great products with a focus on making a difference for students.

Cons

At times the the work will demand extensive travel and long hours

Advice to Management

select middle level leaders not based on years with the company and pure industry knowledge but on leadership qualities to bring out the best in others.

9. "Sales"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time

Pros

A generally positive culture about personal and professional growth. A great mission to support student learning and educator productivity.

Cons

Growth brings more structure and more systems which can be difficult for some people. Illuminate though manages this well with solid communication.

10. "Great climate for personal growth and contribution!"

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The organization is loaded with talented individuals with a common cause to deliver exceptional tools for K-12 educators! The company is organized in functional teams that collaborate to deliver for our customers. The individual is valued and expected to contribute at a high level.

Cons

High growth of the company is challenging the team in a good way to step up and be flexible.

Advice to Management

Keep seeking the best talent to staff our open positions. As we need to add process to grow, keep our focus on coaching and mentoring our team members.