Illuminate Education Support Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Support Specialist

Illuminate Education Support Specialist Reviews

Updated Sep 13, 2019

3.4
Illuminate Education CEO Christine Willig (no image)
Christine Willig
  1. "Amazing Work Environment"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is an amazing company to work for. The culture is second to none. I love the people I work with and I definitely believe in this company's values and mission.

Cons

There's a lot of gray area, but not necessarily a bad thing. It is a growing company.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Illuminate Education2017-10-13

"Changing company"

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some really great people work here You get to help educators spend less time grading and more time getting useful data so they can help students Dog-friendly workplace Casual workplace (no dress code) Some positions can work remotely Free snacks/cold brew/kombucha

Cons

The company has grown almost too quickly for its own skin Getting more corporate-feeling Faster turnover Layoffs of "most expensive" employees, regardless of actual worth to company

Advice to Management

Don't layoff people just because they make more than others do - you lose valuable product knowledge, abilities, and client relationships when you do that.

Illuminate Education2019-09-14
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you live in CA, your HMO is $0 per month and good coverage Casual environment Female-led Cares about the community and giving back Team mentality Company is striving toward equity Cares about clients AND about employees Lots of perks for in-office folks (free snacks, free lunches occasionally, that kind of stuff)

Cons

We just had a big merger, so there is some uncertainty to how that will play out as far as benefits and structure go

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your staff about the perks we enjoy and the environment that keeps us here. Try to retain the family-friendly atmosphere.

Illuminate Education2018-07-19

"What's not to like??? :D"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Irvine, CA

I worked at Illuminate Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

Corporate culture, 100% medical and dental coverage, diversity, no dress code, treat you like a valued member of the team. Profit sharing, training, growth..you name it. They have it all.

Cons

None and I mean it.

Advice to Management

Hire me back!

Illuminate Education2016-12-19

"More like working towards a mission than at a job."

I have been working at Illuminate Education

Pros

Great culture, great people. You feel like you're working for a cause and a mission rather than a paycheck. There are so many smart talented diverse people that everyone helps sharpen everyone else as people and employees.

Cons

Some can get used to how good the company treats them and just continually ask for more. Few and far between but still...

Advice to Management

If someone isn't holding their weight or living up to our standards of excellence let them go. Just because someone is nice or has worked here for a while doesn't mean they still deserve too. We must always improve.

Illuminate Education2016-12-14
  7. "When you can say... I love my JOB!"

Support Specialist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Illuminate Education for less than a year

Pros

Salary, Benefits, and the atmosphere.

Cons

a lot to learn, but it's worth it!

Illuminate Education2016-10-20

"From a new-hire prospective - it's life changing."

I have been working at Illuminate Education

Pros

Full disclosure: I am a new employee, so I can only comment on what I have seen in my short time here so far and my experience working with the company as a client previously. I recently accepted position with Illuminate Education as Remote Support Specialist. I had been entertaining the idea of pursuing a position with the company for the last two years, but kept putting it off due to other previous position... changes and responsibilities. I should have dropped everything two years ago and applied then! The culture at this company is unlike anything I've ever experienced before. Unlike companies that talk the talk, but don't walk the walk, the employees here are fully committed to the company mission of creating tools for educators to promote student and educator success. You see the dedication in the way employees actively try to go above and beyond their job duties to truly make the educational world a better place. It's extremely encouraging and refreshing after coming from a job where people tried to do as little as possible to get by and only care about their career advancement. The office environment is relaxed and fun. A good portion of employees work outside of the office at different times, so there is always movement and excitement as people come and go. It's not just people sitting in cubicles staring at a computer screen all day. They allow dogs in the office which is really fun, and it makes things seem less like an office, and more like home. The office campus is great. There are outdoor eating/meeting spaces, bike share stalls, electric car charging stations, and on certain days different food trucks come out and offer a great alternative to eating out. There are standing and sitting desks, and a lot of employees move freely around the office when working. The benefits package is exemplary. The company provides 100% paid medical and dental insurance for employees in both HMO and PPO plans. In addition, there is company provided life insurance, LTD insurance, and ADD insurance. A yearly percentage contribution to a 401k plan rounds out the traditional benefit expectations. Fringe benefits are where this company kicks it up a notch. Train reimbursement and FastPasses are available for employees who commute longer distances. Twice a year profit sharing bonuses are a welcome addition as well. Employees get 2 weeks of vacation a year, with talks about moving to unlimited vacation, and there is a very loose schedule around Christmas time that allows for more time off during the holidays. There is a company retreat in the summer for employees, a company picnic in the spring for employee families, and a company Christmas party for employees and their spouses. A yearly convention rounds out the company paid trips, and in my experience as a client, the convention is amazingly fun and exciting. I know people wouldn't necessarily consider a business trip, like a convention, as a benefit, but the conference really is that awesome. This company is a breathe of fresh air in an industry where it's sometimes hard to catch your breathe. The change in mentality and culture is amazing. I feel like I want to come to work now, instead of worrying about how miserable work could be at my previous job. It is truly life changing.

Cons

Not really a con, but more of a personal realization. I got really excited about working remotely because I could essentially work from anywhere with an internet connection. After experiencing the attitude and culture in the office, I'm a bit sad that I'm not going to be working in the main office. Dang it, Illuminate... stop making it such a fun place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. In my opinion, you're doing it right.

Illuminate Education2016-05-18

"Great career company"

Support Specialist

I have been working at Illuminate Education

Pros

Illuminate is an amazing place to work. The company is made up of crazy smart people and we are all working together to shape the company. You are constantly challenged and your potential for growth is unlimited. Every single employee is a valued member of the team. Working for Illuminate is like having a second family.

Cons

The company is a flat organization. This means that everyone is part of the team and we are accountable to one another instead of a single manager. Sometimes this means that things take longer because everyone's opinion and ideas are considered. However, this is always one of the amazing qualities of the company. Your voice counts and it's heard.

Advice to Management

We need more business procedures put into place. It will make it easier for new employees instead of just saying, you'll start to get the hang of it.

Illuminate Education2015-02-10
  10. "Illuminate Education is fun, inspirational, and high energy."

I have been working at Illuminate Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

Illuminate Education is the best place to work! The environment is friendly and supportive. I have the opportunity to expand my skill sets and grow. I feel like I make difference every day. The clients are awesome! The benefits are very generous. Life/work balance and health are hugely promoted. There is even a wellness program included with the benefits that helps the employees maintain a healthy lifestyle. The... CEO treats this company like he would his own family.

Cons

The Illuminate system is wonderfully complex and massive. I find it difficult to feel completely proficient.

Illuminate Education2015-02-10