KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Illuminate Education

Is this your company?

Illuminate Education

Add a Review

Illuminate Education Employee Reviews about "illuminate education"

Updated Feb 26, 2020

Found 9 of over 184 reviews

2.5
Illuminate Education CEO Christine Willig (no image)
Christine Willig
Pros
  • "Feels like you really make a difference to the future of kids and their education(in 11 reviews)

• "Illuminate Education is full of some of the most passionate people anywhere(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Do not expect that kind of camaraderie at Illuminate(in 25 reviews)

• "New CEO has no clue how to use the software(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "illuminate education"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great Culture

Feb 26, 2020 - IT Service Desk Technician
      Business Outlook

Pros

Illuminate Education is a great place to work! It is an open collaborative environment. They do a great job listen to their employees and their ideas as to how to scale the company and the products. -Culture is relaxed, casual and open - Flexible schedule and work environment -Have remote opportunities available

Cons

I don't have anything at this time

2. 5.0

Illuminate is Great

Jun 27, 2019 - Registration and Travel Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working for an educational company is the biggest pro there could be but another great pro is the people that work for Illuminate Education, they make work enjoyable and fun! Since working for Illuminate Education I have found great work/life balance.

Cons

Change is hard but it's much needed for a start up to turn into a company.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company growing up

Feb 1, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Illuminate Education is full of some of the most passionate people anywhere. They really care about education and care about each other too. Like many successful companies, we outgrew the early structures and were struggling to deal with the increased size. The Founder & prior CEO knew this and brought in some leaders with more experience running larger businesses to help us, including a new CEO to take his day-to-day responsibilities. The former Founder is still involved and provides advice. While change can often be hard, it looks like good, positive changes are starting to happen and I'm optimistic about the future. Benefits are amazing, the culture is great, and it is good to be part of a company making such a big difference in education.

Cons

Being in any organization going through transformation can be a challenge. Some people are really tied to the old ways of working (even when it is clear they can be improved) and are struggling with the new changes. Growing pains are expected, people! Fortunately, most Illuminators are positive and so the negative voices are in the minority.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Equity and Professional Development Expert

Oct 18, 2016 - Equity and Professional Development Expert in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a former Endowed Professor, I love working at Illuminate Education for several reasons: The founder and CEO Lane Rankin has created a very healthy work environment in which collaboration and team effort are encouraged. Lane also motivates employees to use their creativity to undertake new ventures on a regular basis. Consequently, both Lane and my colleagues have been extremely helpful and supportive of my ideas and projects.One of Lane's greatest attributes is that he does not micro manage. Furthermore, each week, he shares leadership tips with the company in order to challenge our thinking and spur us to grow professionally. Working at Illuminate has been the most rewarding aspect of my professional career thus far. In fact, for the first time in my life, I actually look forward to going to work. Dr. Gail L. Thompson

Cons

None that I know of

5. 5.0

Great Culture and Work Environment

Oct 19, 2016 - Business Development in Canfield, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you're an educator that's passionate about making a difference for our school systems and communities, than Illuminate Education may be a good fit for you. The leadership team is solid with great vision and is always striving to get better. But the founder of the organization is what really makes Illuminate Education such a special place. He's a servant leader that truly cares about his employees.

Cons

Since I'm in sales and work remote, it's sometimes difficult to stay connected with the home office. But this is a challenge for all companies.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

From a new-hire prospective - it's life changing.

May 18, 2016 - Support Specialist in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Full disclosure: I am a new employee, so I can only comment on what I have seen in my short time here so far and my experience working with the company as a client previously. I recently accepted position with Illuminate Education as Remote Support Specialist. I had been entertaining the idea of pursuing a position with the company for the last two years, but kept putting it off due to other previous position changes and responsibilities. I should have dropped everything two years ago and applied then! The culture at this company is unlike anything I've ever experienced before. Unlike companies that talk the talk, but don't walk the walk, the employees here are fully committed to the company mission of creating tools for educators to promote student and educator success. You see the dedication in the way employees actively try to go above and beyond their job duties to truly make the educational world a better place. It's extremely encouraging and refreshing after coming from a job where people tried to do as little as possible to get by and only care about their career advancement. The office environment is relaxed and fun. A good portion of employees work outside of the office at different times, so there is always movement and excitement as people come and go. It's not just people sitting in cubicles staring at a computer screen all day. They allow dogs in the office which is really fun, and it makes things seem less like an office, and more like home. The office campus is great. There are outdoor eating/meeting spaces, bike share stalls, electric car charging stations, and on certain days different food trucks come out and offer a great alternative to eating out. There are standing and sitting desks, and a lot of employees move freely around the office when working. The benefits package is exemplary. The company provides 100% paid medical and dental insurance for employees in both HMO and PPO plans. In addition, there is company provided life insurance, LTD insurance, and ADD insurance. A yearly percentage contribution to a 401k plan rounds out the traditional benefit expectations. Fringe benefits are where this company kicks it up a notch. Train reimbursement and FastPasses are available for employees who commute longer distances. Twice a year profit sharing bonuses are a welcome addition as well. Employees get 2 weeks of vacation a year, with talks about moving to unlimited vacation, and there is a very loose schedule around Christmas time that allows for more time off during the holidays. There is a company retreat in the summer for employees, a company picnic in the spring for employee families, and a company Christmas party for employees and their spouses. A yearly convention rounds out the company paid trips, and in my experience as a client, the convention is amazingly fun and exciting. I know people wouldn't necessarily consider a business trip, like a convention, as a benefit, but the conference really is that awesome. This company is a breathe of fresh air in an industry where it's sometimes hard to catch your breathe. The change in mentality and culture is amazing. I feel like I want to come to work now, instead of worrying about how miserable work could be at my previous job. It is truly life changing.

Cons

Not really a con, but more of a personal realization. I got really excited about working remotely because I could essentially work from anywhere with an internet connection. After experiencing the attitude and culture in the office, I'm a bit sad that I'm not going to be working in the main office. Dang it, Illuminate... stop making it such a fun place to work.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Illuminate Education is fun, inspirational, and high energy.

Feb 10, 2015 - Support Specialist in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Illuminate Education is the best place to work! The environment is friendly and supportive. I have the opportunity to expand my skill sets and grow. I feel like I make difference every day. The clients are awesome! The benefits are very generous. Life/work balance and health are hugely promoted. There is even a wellness program included with the benefits that helps the employees maintain a healthy lifestyle. The CEO treats this company like he would his own family.

Cons

The Illuminate system is wonderfully complex and massive. I find it difficult to feel completely proficient.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Still a great place to work

Oct 15, 2017 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Illuminate Education continues to be a great place to work, full of challenges and opportunities to learn

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to keep up with the growth we're going through. There are plenty of opportunities for personal growth, but not career growth. Loyalty to the company is poorly rewarded.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

I love working for such a great company!

Dec 19, 2016 - Software Engineer in Greenville, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Illuminate Education is a company that doesn't just care about the bottom line. Employees are treated like they really matter.

Cons

The concept of a participation age company can take some getting used to. The organizational structure is never really clear since there really isn't one.

1 person found this review helpful