KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Illuminate Education

Is this your company?

Illuminate Education

Add a Review

Illuminate Education Employee Reviews about "make a difference"

Updated Jun 28, 2019

2.5
Illuminate Education CEO Christine Willig (no image)
Christine Willig
Pros
  • "Feels like you really make a difference to the future of kids and their education(in 11 reviews)

• "Illuminate Education is full of some of the most passionate people anywhere(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Do not expect that kind of camaraderie at Illuminate(in 25 reviews)

• "New CEO has no clue how to use the software(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "make a difference"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

We invest in great people who want to change the world of education with us!

Jun 28, 2019 - Vice President - Technology in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture, great benefits, a place where you can make a difference in kids' lives!!

Cons

It's a growing company in a fast-paced environment, so if you are not into building something and working hard, this may not be a place for you.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company - Glad to be here!

Jun 27, 2019 - New Hire in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, very welcoming Thorough recruiting process, and I felt like they were honest about the role, the challenges, and expectations Passionate about education and making a difference Lots of changes in one year (which can be hard) but the team is committed to working together to bring the vision to life

Cons

I haven't encountered any cons yet... ask me in a few months!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Change is good!

Mar 26, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work/life balance. Feels like you really make a difference to the future of kids and their education! Fun office and great benefits.

Cons

Change is inevitable with a merger but everyone has remained supportive and transparent

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Doing important work, for the right reasons.

Jan 26, 2015 - Implementation Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working for Illuminate feels more like working for a cause rather than working for a company. The goal of the our team, from top to bottom, is to change education for the better. Our CEO, Lane Rankin, is inspiring. Never, at any point, do I feel like I am working for the bottom line. I feel like I am working to make a difference in the world. It's a fun place to work, with a great culture, and great team-mentality. The company is completely flat. Nobody is going to tell you what to do. You need to take initiative and be self-motivated, which is wonderful in my mind. The benefits are second to none.

Cons

Changing the world is hard work. The job is very demanding, and maintaining the work-life balance is difficult. It's something we talk about constantly internally, but it is difficult to achieve because Illuminate demands profound commitment from every team member.

5. 5.0

Great Culture and Work Environment

Oct 19, 2016 - Business Development in Canfield, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you're an educator that's passionate about making a difference for our school systems and communities, than Illuminate Education may be a good fit for you. The leadership team is solid with great vision and is always striving to get better. But the founder of the organization is what really makes Illuminate Education such a special place. He's a servant leader that truly cares about his employees.

Cons

Since I'm in sales and work remote, it's sometimes difficult to stay connected with the home office. But this is a challenge for all companies.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

We ARE changing the World!!!

Jan 26, 2015 - Illuminator in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

We are a flat organization - no 'formal' titles - no internal politics. It's a team effort and our primary goal is to help educators and students succeed (and we take this very seriously). Everyone is super healthy and encourages each other to be the best we can be for our families, ourselves and the customers that we serve. Our company values are awesome and the work that we do does make a difference.

Cons

The main con is that we aren't in every school in the US yet! That is our goal, to help as many schools as possible but we are getting there and WILL obtain this goal.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Making a Difference

Oct 19, 2017 - Illuminator in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Each of us have a job to do here at Illuminate, but it is what we all do beyond our roles that makes this place extraordinary. We are encouraged to pursue our passions. Equity, house builds in Mexico, anti-bullying efforts, robotics...we are supported by our CEO to be socially responsible. And by doing so, each of us work that much harder at our jobs to make a difference both inside and outside of the classroom.

Cons

There are times when we do not have celery in the refrigerator and have to eat our humus plain. NO CONS!!!

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

I feel very fortunate to work for Illuminate Education

Feb 4, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You are valued as an employee. Your opinions and input are sought-after and respected. The company pays 100% of medical and dental premiums, life insurance, and long-term disability insurance, plus 2 bonuses a year. These benefits are amazing for individuals and working families. It is great to work for a company that is seeking to make a difference in the world. This makes coming to work all the better...very fulfilling. The icing on the cake is our unique company culture.

Cons

Since implementing a flat organization structure, we have had some bumps in the road such as communication issues within teams and between teams.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee

Great in theory, not so much in practice

Feb 5, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are still some folks that are dedicated to making a difference in the lives of students. Good health benefits.

Cons

It's very easy for people who don't want to work to hide in the bureaucracy. Lots of bureaucracy for such a small company. Changes in leadership have made things less transparent. Decisions are made in a silo and we're supposed to be good worker bees and execute their vision. Work/life balance is continually being pushed, yet the company loves to celebrate those who work through the night and weekends as heroes. Current product/technology stack makes it very difficult to get any meaningful work done. Limited career and growth potential.

7 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Employee

May 31, 2017 - Employee in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

autonomy, great leaders and CEO, excellent pay and benefits, team oriented, flexible work schedule, great products with a focus on making a difference for students.

Cons

At times the the work will demand extensive travel and long hours

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 Reviews