Imageworks Senior Technical Director Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert M. Osher
  1. "Technical director"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Director

I have been working at Imageworks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work with a great group of talented people on interesting projects.

Cons

Can be demanding work load.

Imageworks2017-08-24

"I watched this place slowly die"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Director in Culver City, CA

I worked at Imageworks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There were a lot of talented people here when I began and I had the opportunity to work on big titles.

Cons

Over time management decided to shift employees to Canada for cost savings. They were never very honest about their plans and over time showed they cared less and less about the staff.

Imageworks2016-10-31

"Company's best days are in the rearview, shell of its former self. Sinking like a stone."

Current Employee - Senior Technical Director in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Imageworks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Used to be an inspiring place to work, employed intelligent, top notch industry leaders.

Cons

Along with the greater VFX industry, Imageworks has gone down the tubes. There is zero job security. Most of the jobs have been relocated to Vancouver, Canada. Those employees left in Culver City fear for their jobs and work plenty of unpaid extra hours, for free. This is largely part of the culture of the company. In 2009, in response to economic changes, an accountant was brought in to run the show. Ever since, the company is run by beancounters who desperately want to have creative input on story & casting, driven by their ego. The entire company is a train wreck. The CEO is the laughing stock of the company and the butt of all jokes. I don't think this company will be around much longer, at least not in the US.

Advice to Management

It's over. We all know it.

Imageworks2013-11-23
  4. "Good pay, nice people."

Current Contractor - Senior Technical Director in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Imageworks for less than a year

Pros

While I have not worked at too many places, I can say that I have always been treated with respect here. The pay is very good and the people are helpful.

Cons

The biggest con is simply the new industry paradigm: lay people off or move to where the subsidies are. Also the benefits here in regards to insurance, perks, 401k have been steadily decreasing.

Advice to Management

Realize that chasing subsidies is a race to the bottom. If things don't change, things will get bleak very soon.

Imageworks2013-08-15

"Best place I've worked at"

Senior Technical Director in Culver City, CA

I worked at Imageworks

Pros

Salary and overall benefits are the best I've had in the VFX industry. Career growth can be slow since there is a lot of good competition inside, but steady as long as you make the effort. Internal training which allows you to train in any discipline of VFX is excellent. Many different projects and being able to work in both Animated Films and Live Action is something that sets it apart from the rest.

Cons

Career growth can be slow due to the sheer number of employees. Management sometimes has no idea of what's going on around them and can be poor at communicating with the artists. Work can be become routine during a project.

Advice to Management

Be more open and communicate with your artists. Do not leave them in the dark about their future during project ramp downs. Be honest and clear - specially on bad news.

Imageworks2010-01-31

"great people and technology, astonishingly poor executive management, murky future"

Senior Technical Director in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Imageworks

Pros

Great camaraderie amongst rank and file artists (but many have left). Incredible learning opportunities from some of the sharpest creative and technical people in the industry. Good pay, OK benefits (getting worse though), nice location. Great place to be if you are new in the industry, just make sure you have a job lined up for when your production is over.

Cons

Sadly, what has been said here before is very true. There was a time when Imageworks was the place to be if you wanted to work on both feature animation and visual effects. Those days are ending, as we simply cannot compete against Disney/Dreamworks in animation, and the tax-incentives foreign countries are passing out in visual effects. Many of these factors are out of the company's control. But the nail in the coffin is our astonishingly weak management. While there has been some well needed house cleaning of mid to upper-management, the facility is hopelessly lacking in creative leadership and artist management. There are murky plans for upcoming productions, but the recent exodus of talent and serious nose-dive in morale will make working on these shows (if greenlit) very, very unsatisfactory.

Advice to Management

Move on. Keep Sony Pictures Animation as a shell / front door for outsourcing production of 2nd tier movies to India/China/Texas, whatever. SPA never existed to make great movies, but to generate secondary sales for licensed product. I think someday SPA can succeed here. Sell Imageworks to a group of current employees. We'll rebrand it and market the talent & technology appropriately. We can decide what the bottom is.

Imageworks2009-06-06
  7. "Far Cry From What It Was"

Senior Technical Director in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Imageworks for less than a year

Pros

Nice new facility in Vancouver. Great HR! Easy first job in CG at a large studio. Clean Canadian Air. 420 festival is right outside every year! Nordstrom's is in the same building so clean underwear is only an elevator ride away.

Cons

Terrible management. Extremely aggressive hiring/firing. Lack of tools support for artists. Garbage projects. Very poor supervision micromanaged by too many levels of underrated leads and sups. The pillage of the Canadian tax credits, to coffer the pockets of studio execs, only to pay the artists such a small wage is disgusting. Film credits are given to those who they want to and not those who deserve them.

Advice to Management

Break away from corporate Sony. Shut down. Relocate to China. Make an Emoji movie. Make more money! Collect more underpants!

Imageworks2016-07-13