Imageworks "vancouver" Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert M. Osher

"Technical Director"

in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Imageworks

Pros

If you are Canadian or you just really like Vancouver, you may enjoy the experience more. Management has an "open door" policy, but milage varies by individual. Projects can be fun, but you have to be proactive in getting on shows you want to work on. Pay is fair, though it can vary greatly, so do your homework on salaries. Large corporate environment is not for everyone, but it has it's advantages.

Cons

Better if you are Canadian. Many people lack industry experience making it difficult to get things done. This place feels like a big old beast and it still operates like one. It's slow to change and the bureaucratic process must be followed. People in LA may feel that their jobs are always on the line. They still seem to call all the shots making for an uncomfortable relationship with the people in Vancouver.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff about how things really are in the trenches.

Imageworks2015-10-20

"Animation Internship"

Animation Intern in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Imageworks

Pros

lots of 1-on-1 mentorship good work space and artist community fun morale boosting events

Cons

intern talks left something to be desired no support with finding housing for people who live outside of vancouver

Imageworks2015-02-19

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Imageworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay and benefits are better than average. You can work on animated films and/or VFX projects since Imageworks does both. Pipeline tools are user-friendly and easy to learn. Vancouver is a wonderful city.

Cons

They hire indiscriminately these days, for the sake of staffing up the Vancouver office (which may be a good thing if your skills aren't great!), and they make a lot of promises they know they can't keep. At best, if they want to keep you on, you'll be kept on unpaid hiatus between projects. It's quite likely you'll have to find other work in town at some point though. Quality standards have dropped a lot in the past several years. You will work with (or for) people who don't know what they're doing. Leads often burn out quickly because of this.

Advice to Management

Quality still matters!

Imageworks2014-08-22

"Once a great glory, now a ghost of it's former self"

I worked at Imageworks

Pros

Lots of promise. Ability to work on both VFX and CGI flicks. Good crew, though, cut to the bone and demoralized.

Cons

The new management team treats people like a commodity, hiring up multitudes only to uncerimoneously dump them when they are not needed. Moved almost the entire operation to Vancouver, one of the most expensive cities to live in in the world, which creates undue stress on artists and their families by making them live outside the US and be subject to getting kicked out of the country once the show ends. Bad for artists, bad for the economy, bad for the nation.

Advice to Management

Learn some respect for the people that create the art that you live on.

Imageworks2012-10-22
  5. "Great Company"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Imageworks

Pros

Imageworks cares about its employees continuing to develop skills. You start off with a week-long schedule of various classes and assignments to learn the Imageworks pipeline and there are continuing-ed courses always available. You're treated very well at work. They have low-cost cafeteria food (and an outdoor grill) and while we were on overtime they brought in dinner for us. I loved the team I worked with; I loved my time spent there.

Cons

Animation is mainly done in Vancouver now, not Culver City anymore

Imageworks2012-08-30