Imagine Learning Employee Reviews about "making a difference"

Updated Jun 14, 2020

Imagine Learning CEO Jeremy Cowdrey (no image)
Jeremy Cowdrey
Pros
Cons
  • "They are growing rapidly and occasionally have some growing pains, but nothing that's affected me personally(in 16 reviews)

• "I wish 401k matching would be better(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "making a difference"

Return to all Reviews

"Change is hard"

Current Employee - Engineering in Provo, UT

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working at a company with a guiding mission that's making a difference in the world. Good PTO, although it has to be used for sick time which is a downside. The tech leaders (Architects, Engineering management) are open to new ideas and lend a listening ear when you have a suggestion. Get to work on a pretty recent tech stack.

Cons

We've been in constant change in senior leadership and occasionally trickling down for the last 18 months. I can see a lot of the changes being needed, but it can definitely be whiplash and bring question to direction. Product Management needs contributors that we can hold onto for more than 6 months. Perks don't really change, sometimes it feels like the fun company we advertise on our careers site is not the reality.

VP of People

We greatly appreciate your review and acknowledge many of the points that you mention. First, we’re so glad that you acknowledge our guiding mission to make a difference for students and educators across the country. It’s what drives our work. And we’re thrilled that you appreciate being able to work on a recent tech stack and work with open-minded tech leaders. We think we have the best programs and the best team members at Imagine Learning! You’re right, we’ve had a lot of change over the past couple of years, but we feel that each transition has helped us grow into the company we are today. As to our company culture, this is something we’re really focusing on. We want our employees to feel valued and to enjoy the work they do. Thank you for your ideas and suggestions and for all you do to for Imagine Learning.

2. COVID-19

"Opportunity to contribute and make a difference"

4.0
    Current Employee - Product Development in Provo, UT

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Imagine Learning is a small, mission-driven company with a passion for education and making a difference in the lives of children and the greater community. The small size of the company has made it easy to talk to anyone and share ideas whether it be employees in different departments or the CEO. Originally a company of primarily locally-residing employees plus necessary field employees, the company has expanded its horizons in recent years being willing to hire the right people whether they are local or remote. With that has come a broader skill set and more diverse perspectives. There is still work to do to create a truly diverse and welcoming workplace. Benefits are fair and PTO generous. Increased focus on product and engineering management, user experience, and research is improving quality and productivity.

Cons

A shift to a shared services model under the Weld North Education organization has caused disruption, but also brings the potential for additional resources and is starting to bring a fresh focus on workflow and methodologies. Imagine Learning as a solo company had a fun, family-like atmosphere which may get lost as the organization blends and merges with sister companies. Biannual all-company conferences have been a highlight for community building and knowledge sharing. The next conference will be virtual due to COVID-19 however this may also mark the end of in-person company-wide conferences given the growing size of the organization and the less defined boundaries between who is an Imagine Learning employee vs Weld North Education employee. With more people likely working remote going forward and from different regions, it will be harder to maintain that same feeling of community. Communication challenges abound and seem to be culturally ingrained, though there are renewed attempts to improve processes and some effective changes have been implemented. Communication issues are not due to a shortage of meetings! Time for focused-work is hard to come by and usually is best found unfortunately on the fringes of actual business hours. Product development moves slowly due to limited engineering and UX resources impeding the ability to catch-up and be more forward-thinking.

CEO

Thank you for your insights and perspectives. We are proud of our mission and our heritage, and glad that you feel that you can make a difference and contribute as a part of the Imagine Learning team. Admittedly, we’ve experienced a lot of recent changes, but we’ve never changed our drive, passion, and goal to partner with teachers and help students reach their potential. We’re optimistic about the future as we grow and work with our WNE shared services teams. Thank you for your contributions and for being an integral part of Imagine Learning!

"Took our eyes off the goal"

2.0
    Current Employee - Field Employee

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers who care about each other. Good work life balance with fair PTO and holidays. Products that truly can make a difference for students and educators.

Cons

The leadership has changed and IL lost its vision. It's not about whats best for students or education but what makes us the most money the most quickly. Sales drives all decisions. Hiring has become "appointing" and nepotism is destroying any gains that had been made in diversity, equity and inclusion.

CEO

We’re pleased that you recognize our great team members, generous PTO and benefits, and most especially that our education programs really make a difference for students. We have definitely gone through a lot of change over the past few years and we appreciate your patience as we’ve adjusted with each acquisition, program release, and leadership change. Even with these changes, we have always been focused on helping educators and students. Granted, all businesses rely on sales to keep afloat but we’re confident that our strength in partnering with educators to help students reach their potential is the differentiator in our success—as it always has. We will continue to hire passionate people and be transparent about business decisions whenever possible. We’re grateful to have you on our team. Thank you for all you do to make Imagine Learning a great place to work!

"No Diversity among its leadership"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Education Consultant in Provo, UT

I worked at Imagine Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Seems to want to make a difference

Cons

Companies that want to "help inner city children" but don't have representation among leadership is doomed to be just another representation of "The Great White Hope" with teachers who see their students as "THEM". Need to have greater buy-in at the district level, greater DIVERSITY training and more representation of people who look like the target population and who speak in the native language.

VP of People

Thank you for your review and for acknowledging that as a company, our goal is to make a difference for students and teachers. It’s not just our mission, it’s what drives our work on a daily basis. We’ve seen the difference our programs can make—helping teachers personalize education and helping students learn, grow, and achieve. Imagine Learning has become more and more diverse as we’ve grown, and we’re excited about all the varied perspectives and insights that each of our expanding team members bring with them. We are working to connect with the community more and to take in the experiences and insights of educators, parents, and community members from schools and districts that we work with across the country. We believe we are working with incredibly insightful organizations and learning from the opportunities and challenges they give us to improve and expand our vision. Thank you for your contributions to Imagine Learning and all the best in your future endeavors.

5. "A great place to work. Really."

Former Employee - Marketing in Provo, UT

I worked at Imagine Learning full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Imagine Learning at its core has always strived to produce really high-quality programs with the child in mind--first and foremost. In my 10+ years with the company, my perception was that the vast majority of employees bought into the mission of changing lives and opening doors of opportunities for children, and that showed in the quality of their work and their respectful relationships with coworkers and customers. They have been lucky to have had visionary founders that set a high bar for what success looks like and that built a foundation for a really great company culture. As is the case in any company, Imagine Learning has experienced growing pains and organizational changes over time, but they always seem to come out on top. I attribute that to the great team of people that are there because they believe in the mission and values of the company. If you're looking for a job where you can go to work every day and rub shoulders with awesome, super talented coworkers, knowing you are making a difference in the world, Imagine Learning is a great place to be. Not to say it is without its challenges. But chances are, it's going to be one of the best jobs of your career.

Cons

Generally very good benefits, but 401K was a little lacking. Could do better with career growth opportunities.

Marketing Content Manager

Thank you for your review. It means a lot to us, especially as an employee that worked for Imagine Learning for over ten years. We’re pleased that you had such a positive experience working with other talented employees and making a difference in student learning. You’re correct when you mention that we’ve had “growing pains,” and as we grow and adapt, we hope to continue to fulfill our mission of helping teachers and students while also providing meaningful, challenging opportunities for innovative, insightful employees like yourself. Thank you for your contributions to Imagine Learning over the years. We wish you the best as you move on to new opportunities.

6. "Valued and making a difference."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Imagine Learning

Pros

I feel extremely valued here Work from home Make a difference

Cons

They need to hire more teachers to meet the demands of the students.

7. "Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

Imagine Learning has been a great place to work. I have only been in the company for 2 months but the way the company has treated me is unlike any job I have had in the past. They are so good to their employees. I recently visited the home office in Provo, Utah. The atmosphere was so positive and happy. It seems like everyone in this company is in it to make a difference in the lives of kids. It is more than a job/career. It is truly about making a difference in the world through our programs. Benefits start the first day on the job. Great benefits.

Cons

The 401K match isn't that great. It could be better.

"Best company I've worked for plain and simple"

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's not very often you get the opportunity to work with great people, for a great cause, and in a great location. Imagine Learning has combined all of those things for me. We have a product that makes a difference and that influences the employees here. We want to keep making a difference and it makes for a fantastic place to work.

Cons

There are not a lot of downsides to working here unless you're looking for a new position every year or so. We're not big enough to facilitate that type of career movement.

Vice President of Human Resources

We're glad you have found your niche to make a difference in the lives of children.

"Great People, Great Vision"

Technical Writer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Imagine Learning

Pros

I really enjoy the team atmosphere. I work with great people who are committed to making a difference in the lives of students. Imagine Learning has a fast-paced, creative environment that gives adequate space for my ambition while giving me the direction I need to succeed. I especially enjoy the fact that I work for a company that is striving to bring success to a variety of students, and I can see how my efforts really do make a difference.

Cons

I have a difficult time thinking of cons, but it is challenging that the company is growing so fast, since this increases the workload. But I happen to like a good challenge.

Corporate Communications Manager

Thanks for writing this review. Way to rise to the challenge!

"Great opportunities in a growing company"

5.0

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Family-oriented company which emphasizes a sense of community and a unified mission. Company is small and young enough so that each person can feel that they are making a difference. Management is very open to feedback and suggestions. Company-wide bonuses help motivate employees.

Cons

Most opportunities require relocation to Provo, UT however sales and support opportunities exist across the U.S.

Corporate Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your experience working at Imagine Learning. It sounds like you're happy here, and we're glad to hear it!

Found 12 reviews