Imerys Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Imerys Président-Directeur Général Gilles Michel
Gilles Michel

Pros
Cons
  • Little-to-no communication in regards to important decision-making between upper management and regular workers (in 3 reviews)

• Lack of leadership and decision making (in 3 reviews)

1. "About Imerys"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Roswell, GA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Roswell, GA

I worked at Imerys (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fair, Reasonable, Progressive, Willing to change

Cons

slow to change, location, old equipment

Advice to Management

Don't be overzealous

"Imerys is looking for strong livers and weak minds."

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Imerys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company fairly willing to pay for external professional development. If you were a C- student at your regional university, but really know how to party, Imerys is your chance for a moonshot. Bonus points if you rose through the ranks of your frat or sorority. If you function by improving your connections more so than your skills, this is your home.

Cons

Very nepotistic environment and the professional staff is composed largely of lack-luster incompetents. You likely won't learn anything you don't teach yourself, using outside sources. Technology severely lagging. Not a resume builder for operations or technical professionals...you'll be using Lotus Notes, not Office, and won't see any Six Sigma, Lean, or SPC in place, much less be trained on it. You won't be asked to simulate or model any processes, just troubleshoot ancient equipment for mechanical issues that should be handled by operators and maintenance staff. Aging workforce. At 24 yrs old, I felt like toddler in a sea of wrinkles. Not necessarily a bad thing, if senior staff knows their stuff, but for for the most part, these greybeards don't. They seem to have made a career by simply playing nice with the other lackeys and have now become afflicted with short-timers syndrome. Moving up has little or nothing to do with performance and everything to do with being fun at cocktail hour...and possibly fun after cocktail hour (wink, wink). I saw the few bright, hard-working, young professionals we had go unnoticed for their positive impacts and many pretty and/or flirtatious girls and charming guys who, admittedly, were fun to drink with, but brought little else to the organization, get noticed for their "positive attitude", "enthusiasm", "energy" and other intangibles typically used to promote or recognize your friends and female staff you would like to or have already slept with. Parisian headquarters has been trimming some fat and bringing in more European/South American managers to the US headquarters, so maybe they are aware of the problem, if not the causes.

Advice to Management

Gut US HR and talent management. They are leading the shift from competence to cocktails due to their own personalities, habits, lack of professionalism, and associated biases.

3. "Professional"

Pros

Large facility
    established product line
    Good Benefits

Cons

Hidebound philosophy
    little to no vision
    no desire to innovate

Advice to Management

Open projects to Engineering

5. "Industrial mineral pioneer"

Pros

Great place to work and learn, supportive staff

Cons

not that I can think of

Advice to Management

6. "Great Internship for CAD experience"

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Three Forks, MT
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Three Forks, MT

I worked at Imerys (More than 3 years)

Pros

They gave me two weeks to go through all of the Inventor tutorials and really familiarize myself with the CAD software before they gave me a pretty simple project. By the time I was given a real project I had a lot of CAD experience under my belt, and felt very proficient.
    I was never pushed too hard or too fast.
    When I got sick of sitting at the desk, I could always find an excuse to get out into the plant, which was encouraged.

Cons

I wasn't given a lot of direction. As with most internships, most of my work was not especially meaningful. Sometimes the long hours staring at a screen got pretty old.

Advice to Management

Communication and feedback could have been better. I was never sure if I was doing a great job, a terrible job, or anywhere on the spectrum in between. I know I was doing my best, and I felt like my best was pretty good, but I do think I fell short of expectations a few times because expectations were never communicated.

7. "Great company for innovators and creators"

Pros

Good people to work with, autonomy for professional jobs, strong company financially

Cons

Large lack of leadership, little to no specific communication, no transparency at the site or group level, very few senior managers held accountable, huge gap between corporate philosophy and ideals and what happens at the site level.

Advice to Management

Follow the corporate ideals that are so well explained on the Imerys website. The company I see online is not the company I work for.

8. "Imerys"

Pros

Good People, pays okay, steady work

Cons

questionable management decisions, long hours

9. "Do yourself a favor and stay away!!!"

Pros

The pay was solid.

Cons

This was the worst working environment that I have ever been apart of. I did not enjoy going into my office everyday and seeing a dead rat or cockroach or lizard under my desk. Management is clueless to put it nicely. The company just had a bad quarter so more layoffs are coming. However, if you are all about the good old boy culture then this place is for you!

Advice to Management

Upgrade your facility and treat your employees better. There is a reason your turn over is higher then Walmarts!

10. "company review"

I have been working at Imerys full-time

Pros

Enjoy working with this company

Cons

would be helpful to have more open communication with team

11. "Inspect incoming ore and final products to specifications based on particle size."

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Willsboro, NY
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Willsboro, NY

I worked at Imerys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interact with production workers to collect samples. Once samples are inspected and considered good quality, certificate of analysis are typed up and sent to front office. Uniforms are provided.

Cons

It can get very dusty in some parts of processing plant. There is quite a bit of walking between the 2 plants (crushing and processing). During the winter months it can get very cold since the buildings are not insulated.